1242RE: [internationalyogafederation] Yoga therapy certificationProgramJune 17-July 2 and August 4-22

  • RMIYA@earthnet.net
    Jun 5, 2009
      Hi Aarti,
      the cost of the Yoga Therapy is $2800 plus $1980 for the food and lodging
      if you are wanting to do the 500 hour program as well
      than it is $4400 plus the $2420 to include the last section OCT 3-11
      of the Yoga teacher
      training Program

      Below is schedule for the Yoga Therapy Program with detailed
      description of each class.
      Namaste Dona Smith

      RMIYA Yoga Therapy Professional Certification Training
      Schedule 2009
      Session 1: Skills Development (all sessions count toward 500-hr YTT)

      June 17 : The History and Scope of Practice of Yoga Therapy
      (Sarasvati Buhrman,
      Ph.D.)

      June 18-21: Ayurveda for Yoga Therapists (Sarasvati Buhrman, Ph.D.)

      June 22 : Shat Kriya morning practice session (Sarasvati
      Buhrman, Ph.D.)

      June 22-25: Reading and Adjusting the Body in Asana Therapy
      (Mangala Warner, M.S.)

      June 26-27 : Yoga Psychology (Sarasvati Buhrman, Ph.D.)

      June 28 : Healing Dynamics of Breath (Sarasvati Buhrman, Ph.D.)

      June 29 : Restorative Yoga (Patricia Hansen, M.A.)

      June 30 : The Stress Response and Yoga (Sarasvati Buhrman, Ph.D.)

      July 1-2 : Yoga Nidra (Swami Brahmananda and Swami Dharmavati)

      (Interim Internship Projects)

      Session 2: Yoga Chikitsa: Yogic Treatment for Disease

      Aug 4-7 : Body Systems and Pathology (Felicia Tomasko, R.N.)

      Aug 8-9: Yoga Therapy for Accidents and Injuries (Patricia
      Hansen, M.A.)

      Aug 10-11: Metabolic Syndrome, Obesity, and Diabetes (Sarasvati
      Buhrman Ph.D.)

      Aug 12: Yoga Therapy for Repetitive Strain Injuries
      (Deborah Quilter, M.A.)

      Aug 13: Yoga Therapy for Frail Elders (Deborah Quilter, M.A.)

      Aug 14-15 : Yoga Therapy for Cancer Patients (Jnani Chapman, R.N.)

      Aug 16: Shat Kriya morning practice session (Sarasvati
      Buhrman, Ph.D.)

      Aug 17 : Yoga Therapies for Asthma and Allergies
      (Sarasvati Buhrman, Ph.D.)

      Aug 18 ?19: Appl Yoga Psychology: Depression, Anxiety, etc.
      (Sarasvati Buhrman,
      Ph.D.)

      Aug 20 -22: Client Management and Closing Ceremony (Sarasvati
      Buhrman, Ph.D.)

      (Completion of Internship and Certification: Sept- Nov)

      RMIYA Yoga Therapy Professional Certification Training Course
      Descriptions and Schedule
      2009

      Meeting times for all classes is 12:30-6:30 except where otherwise noted

      Session 1: Skills Training (all classes in session I count toward
      fulfillment of requirements for YTT-500)

      June 17 : The History and Scope of Practice of Yoga Therapy
      (Sarasvati Buhrman, Ph.D.)
      A review of the history of Yoga as a therapeutic intervention from
      Vedic times to
      modern times. Samkhya philosophy as the philosophical underlay of
      both Ayurveda and
      Patanjali?s Yoga. The historical influence of Ayurveda with
      particular attention to its
      influence on the development of Hatha Yoga. Modern Yoga and Modern
      Yoga Therapy. Yama
      and Niyama as the ethical basis for the Yoga therapist.

      June 18-21 : Ayurveda for Yoga Therapists (Sarasvati Buhrman, Ph.D.)
      Basic Ayurvedic concepts of anatomy and physiology are necessary for
      understanding the way in
      which the originators of the Hatha Yoga system developed and
      used Hatha Yoga
      practices for
      healing. Concepts such as doshas, agni, aam, dhatus, ojas,
      etc., and their
      relationship to illness and
      health will be covered. Students will learn how to determine
      the Ayurvedic
      constitution and
      imbalances of a client, including the use of information gained
      from pulse and
      tongue diagnosis.
      Simple Ayurvedic lifestyle and dietary interventions
      appropriate for Yoga
      therapists and Hatha Yoga
      Therapy interventions based on dosha will be described.
      Students will learn those
      practices
      from the Hatha Yoga Shat Karma (kriya) system which are most
      relevant to Yoga
      Therapy?s
      approach to healing.

      June 22 : Shat Kriya morning practice session (Sarasvati
      Buhrman, Ph.D.)

      June 22-25: Reading and Adjusting the Body in Yoga Asana Therapy
      (Mangala Warner, M.S.)
      Based on principles of Structural Yoga, this seminar teaches
      participants how to
      assess the
      musculo-skeletal system of the client, using anatomy of
      muscles and bones and
      criteria
      for assessment of posture, strong and weak muscular patterns, and
      range of motion of
      joints. Participants will be given an opportunity to ?see? others,
      to investigate
      patterns of body compensations for misalignments, and to explore
      asanas and adjustments
      which facilitate restoration of wholeness. Movements which help in chronic
      musculo-skeletal disorders such as arithritis, sciatica, scoliosis,
      etc. will be
      emphasised

      June 26-27 : Yoga Psychology (Sarasvati Buhrman, Ph.D.)
      The causes of human pain, the workings of the human mind, and
      the ways to freedom
      according to books I and II of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.
      These basic concepts
      form the
      basis of yoga therapy for mental and emotional conditions and
      include major topics
      covered in the sutras such as kleshas, vrittis, samskaras, symptoms of
      distraction , and
      Yoga practices for resolving these.

      June 28 : Healing Dynamics of Breath (Sarasvati Buhrman, Ph.D.)
      Understanding the anatomy and physiology of the process of breathing
      from a western
      perspective informs more deeply the Ayurvedic and Hatha Yoga
      perspectives on which types
      of breathing patterns and pranayama should be used in correcting which
      types of
      imbalances and illnesses.

      June 29 : Restorative Yoga (Patricia Hansen, M.A.)
      The technique of restorative asana, or passive poses supported by
      blankets and bolsters,
      was pioneered by Judith Lasater and is particularly useful in asana
      therapy for people
      with injuries, chronic illnesses and flexibility difficulties, vata
      imbalances, and in
      elder years.

      June 30 : The Stress Response and Yoga (Sarasvati Buhrman, Ph.D.)
      An exploration of the physiological dimensions of the stress
      response: chronic
      stress,
      insomnia, obesity. and other related diseases. Yoga therapy as
      stress management,
      using
      information from brainwave research and autonomic nervous
      system physiology, and
      how
      to differentially structure guided relaxations for specific problems.

      July 1-2 : Yoga Nidra (Swami Brahmananda and Swami Dharmavati)
      This class builds upon the techniques of deep relaxation, by adding
      the uniquely powerful
      healing techniques of Yoga Nidra developed by Swami Satyananda of the
      Bihar school of
      Yoga, based on the traditional techniques of nyasa and vital points in
      the physical and
      subtle bodies. Although Yoga nidra heals on all levels, it is viewed
      by many as a Yogic
      counterpart to Western psychotherapy because of its ability to heal
      deep psychological
      samskaras.

      Interim Internship Projects
      Each student in the program will return home, and, in the
      month intervening
      between sessions I and II, will evaluate three people who have at
      least one health
      concern which for which Yoga Therapy is commonly sought, and write one
      term paper. The
      evaluation will include an Ayurvedic assessment of the person (prakrti
      and vikrti), a
      Structural Yoga assessment of the person, and a complete medical
      history. During the
      second part of the training the student will develop a Yoga Therapy
      treatment plan
      including asana, pranayama, shat karma, relaxation, meditation, and
      diet for each person.
      This plan will be presented to the group and the internship supervisor
      during the ?client
      management? days of the training.
      The student will choose a particular disease or syndrome and
      write a paper for
      other members of the class on Yoga Therapy research and Yoga therapy
      protocols which
      have been developed to treat that disease. Students are expected to
      search both the IAYT
      websites as well as PubMed.

      Session 2: Yoga Chikitsa: Yogic Treatment for Disease

      Aug 4-7 : Body Systems and Pathology (Felicia Tomasko, R.N.)
      Taught by a medical professional, this session includes the
      review of human anatomy,
      physiology, and pathology as they relate to Yoga Therapy,
      including the
      cardiovascular
      system, the nervous system, the endocrine system, and the
      immune system. In the
      process
      of review, common pathologies of the body which are commonly
      addressed by Yoga
      therapists, such as heart disease, Parkinson?s, m.s., etc.,
      will be described.
      as well as a
      discussion of the endocrine system and its relationship to Yoga
      asana. Yoga
      practices and
      types of movements which are contraindicated for various
      diseases will be discussed
      in
      detail, and the relationship of Yoga asana to the endocrine
      system will be explored.
      Students will also use anatomy/pathology charts and their own
      bodies as supports for
      learning.

      Aug 8-9: Yoga Therapy for Accidents and Injuries (Patricia
      Hansen, M.A.)
      Yoga Asana Therapy for those with physical injuries is not to be
      undertaken lightly and
      requires a solid understanding of safety issues as well as ways of
      building a progressive
      yoga therapy program for each individual.

      Aug 10-11: Metabolic Syndrome, Obesity, and Diabetes (Sarasvati
      Buhrman Ph.D.)
      An investigation of the physiology, lifestyle, and social dimensions
      of metabolic
      syndrome, including its related endpoints of obesity, heart disease,
      and diabetes.
      Dietary and lifestyle guidelines and yoga practices for insomnia ,
      obesity, diabetes, and
      other chronic and inflammatory diseases.

      Aug 12: Yoga Therapy for Repetitive Strain Injuries (Deborah
      Quilter, M.A.)
      Repetitive strain injuries are increasingly common, both in the
      workplace and in the
      world of Yoga, sports, and fitness. Such injuries must be treated
      with great care in
      choosing Yoga practices which help, rather than worsen, the condition.
      We will look at a
      wide variety of related ailments, such as carpel-tunnel, tendonitis,
      wear and tear on
      joints, chronic pain, shoulder and back involvement, etc., and how to
      modify Yoga
      practices appropriately.

      Aug 13: Yoga Therapy for Frail Elders (Deborah Quilter)
      While Yoga offers wonderful benefits to people with degenerative
      diseases, many yoga
      teachers are unaware of the reluctance of elders, especially frail
      elders, to take up
      even simple Yoga practices because they are not young and flexible.
      This course teaches
      how to adjust yoga asana and breath practices to help elders achieve
      optimal health. It
      provides insight into physical, physiological, and emotional issues
      associated with aging
      and dying.

      Aug 14-15 : Yoga Therapy for Cancer Patients (Jnani Chapman, R.N.)
      In this seminar participants will begin to assimilate the large amount
      of information
      needed to work with this special group of people. Topics covered will
      include an overview
      of cancer and conventional cancer treatments, common side effects, and
      psycho-social
      dimensions. as well as yoga practices and how to structure a class for
      cancer patients.

      Aug 16: Shat Kriya morning practice session (Sarasvati
      Buhrman, Ph.D.)

      Aug 17 : Yoga Therapies for Asthma and Allergies (Sarasvati Buhrman, Ph.D.)
      The effectiveness of yoga therapy as a treatment for asthma has
      been well
      documented in a
      number of studies. This course uses yoga therapy methods which
      have been developed
      by
      SVYASA in India both for prevention and for stopping acute
      attacks while they are
      happening. We will also discuss specific asana series, Yogic
      cleansing practices
      (shat
      kriya), Ayurvedic diet, pranayama, and meditation, for
      allergies and chronic sinus
      infections.

      Aug 18 ?19: Applied Yoga Psychology: Depression, Anxiety, and Other
      Mental and Emotional Disorders
      (Sarasvati Buhrman,
      Ph.D.)
      All types of depression are not the same, rather they are
      differentiated by which gunas
      (Yogic tradition) predominate and which doshas (ayurvedic tradition)
      are most at play.
      This session will cover both Yogic and Western Psychological
      understandings of mental and
      emotional disorders such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder,
      addiction, etc.
      Techniques of pranayama and meditation therapy and Ayurvedic lifestyle
      modifications for
      depression, anxiety, addiction, and spiritual emergence difficulties
      also will be
      discussed.

      Aug 20 -22 : Client Management and Closing Ceremony
      (Sarasvati Buhrman, Ph.D.)
      In this class, we will review the diagnostic and treatment
      methods learned during the
      training, work with client intake forms, and discuss protocols
      for implementing a
      treatment
      program for individual patients. We will discuss the ethics
      policies required by
      the state of
      California for CAM practitioners and professional organizations
      for Yoga Therapists.
      Each
      student will present his/her three clients and treatment
      suggestions. Format and
      dates for
      completion of internship.

      Aug 22: Closing Ceremony 4:00 pm
      The closing ceremony will consist of a traditional Vedic fire
      ceremony and
      awarding of
      malas. Your friends and family members are invited to attend.

      Completion of Internship and Awarding of Certification: Sept- Nov
      Students will implement a Yoga therapy program for each of
      their original three
      clients,
      And follow up with each client according to established
      protocol and regular,
      scheduled
      Consultation with the internship director. Certification
      will be given at
      completion of
      protocol and submission of final report. In general, the first
      follow-up will be
      scheduled
      one week after the first meeting, in order to ensure that the
      client understands
      and can do
      the practices properly. The second, optional follow-up is for
      those clients who
      need more
      help with the assigned practices. The third fillow-up, three
      weeks later is for
      assessment of
      progress, after which there will be consultation with the
      internship director to
      determine
      whether the treatment strategy needs to be modified. The last
      follow-up is a final
      evaluation one month after the implementation of any changes to
      the protocol. After
      the
      last evaluation (approximately seven weeks after beginning the
      program), a written
      report
      should be submitted (in hard copy, accompanied by a stamped,
      self-adddressed
      envelope)

      to the internship director. Your Yoga Therapy Certificate will
      be mailed to you. >

      Below you

      > Namaste,
      >

      > I am really very interested in attending the upcoming 300hr yoga
      > theray program starting in June. I am from South Africa and have
      > completed my yoga teacher training with Ananda Sanga here in SA who
      > are also registered with International Yoga Federation. I am a
      > pharmacist by profession.
      >
      > Can you please give me more info regarding the cost involved and
      > also any possibilities of accomodation whilst i am there as i have
      > no family or friends there .
      >

      > Regards
      >
      > Aarti Ranchod
      >
      > South Africa