Unsuccessful Air-cable bluetooth communication

  • Tony Dez
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2011

      Hi,

       I'm trying to connect Intellibrain and a laptop via the air-cable Bluetooth but I have not been successful. When connected with a serial cable, both downloading a program to Intellibrain (from RoboJDE and Eclipse) and serial communication between other laptop applications and programs in IB are just fine: I ran the program example coming with RoboJDE, IntelliBrainComEcho,which echoes back to a hyperterminal the characters typed at the keyboard and I created a Java program with Netbeans that makes use of the RxTX library to write to RS-232 to test serial communication; both tests worked flawlessly.

       But it's being impossible to get any successful Bluetooth communication with the Air-Cable device. I followed the steps described in the manual to activate the pair between the serial device and the USB device. After lights blink in both devices for a few seconds they become solid and the Windows XP device manager lists AIRcable USB under Ports (COM &LPT) with a COM ID (depending on the USB I plug it in so is the ID). Until here everything seems fine. However, when I open a hyperterminal the AIR cable port ID is not listed. Or a Java program I created to list all ports does not show it.

      Any ideas or recommendations?
    • Paul King
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2011
        I have a related problem: I can't get RobotDE to connect over Bluetooth to the Intellibrain2.

        I'm using the FirePlug and FireFly Bluetooth serial cable pair, running on Windows 7 with RoboJDE 2.0. When I plug in the Bluetooth adaptor, the correct COM port does not appear as a connect option in RoboJDE.

        Curiously, I can connect to the Intellibrain over Bluetooth using a terminal program (e.g. putty), connecting to COM6. I have a program running on the Intellibrain that emulates an AT-modem-like communication over the serial port, and this can communicate interactively with putty over Bluetooth. However when the Intellibrain is in its default boot-up mode, COM6 does not show up in RoboJDE as one of the available ports, and so RoboJDE cannot connect to it.

        Everything works fine with the serial cable.

        An additional clue: when I plug in the FireFly/FirePlug bluetooth serial cable, two ports that appear under the Windows Device Manager, COM6 and COM7. COM6 is the correct port to the Intellibrain (works with the putty terminal program) but only COM7 appears as an option in RoboJDE. Or if I plug the FireFly adaptor into the other USB port, COM9 and COM10 ports appear in Windows Device Manager, and COM10 is the correct port for communication to the Intellibrain, but only COM9 appears as an option in RoboJDE.

        The identical behavior happens if I use a different bluetooth receiver (BlueSoleil) rather than FireFly: the same two ports appear, one port works for reaching the Intellibrain with a terminal program, but only the other port appears as an option in RoboJDE.

        Any ideas or debugging strategies?

        Paul