Re: Speed of servo motors

  • ridgesoft
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2010
      Hi Barbara,

      There is a discussion of controlling the speed of continuous rotation servos on pp. 6-10 of this tutorial: http://www.ridgesoft.com/articles/navigation/ProgrammingYourRobotToNavigate.pdf

      Servo motors implement their own internal control circuit. The implementation varies depending on servo vendor. The basic idea in controlling them is that the control circuit uses proportional control to achieve a desired shaft position. The further the shaft is from the desired position, the more power the control circuit will apply to the motor. With continuous rotation servos, the shaft position sensor is modified and calibrated to always indicate the shaft position is at the midpoint. It can then be controlled to rotate forward or back by commanding the servo to change the shaft position to one side or the other of the midpoint. The further from the midpoint the commanded position is, generally the more power the control circuit will apply. Since the position sensor has been modified to always indicate the midpoint, the control circuit will always apply power.

      In short, for a continuous rotation servo, the further from the midpoint you set the position, the more power will be applied to the motor. However, you will need to test the servo model you have, as described in the tutorial, to determine more precisely how it responds to various position settings.

      --- In intellibrain@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara" <barbara_gavranovic@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I need a little help :)
      > How to change a speed of servo motors using appropriate commande within program. In particular I use Hitec servo motor HS 425 BB. Thank you in advance.

    • Barbara Gavranovic
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2010
        Hi,

        Thanks for your reply, but it's not about ContinuousRotationServo, but the ordinary Servo. The speed of rotation of the ContinuousRotationServo i found in API but I do not know to determine speed of the ordinary Servo.

        Best regards

        Barbara

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2010
          Hi Barbara,

          In order to measure shaft speed you would need an external sensor such as a shaft encoder. Hobby servos don't typically provide a way to measure shaft speed.