My program kills jikes.exe

  • johnabshier
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
      When I try to build my program I get a Windows error dialog that
      jikes.exe has had a problem and would I like to send an error report.

      Error signature
      AppName jikes.exe AppVer 0.0.0.0 ModName jikes.exe
      ModVer 0.0.0.0 Offset 0025cf96

      I have uninstalled and reinstalled RoboJDE 1.4. IntelliBrainTest
      compiles and downloads OK.

      Earlier this morning my program compiled OK. I was working on tuning
      PID gains and wall following distance. I don't think I changed
      anything except numeric constants.

      Any thoughts on how to proceed?
    • johnabshier
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
        I fixed it but don't have a clue what was going on. I determined
        which class caused the problem by commenting out references to it.
        I could not see anything wrong in the class. I exited RoboJDE,
        loaded the class.java file in Xemacs, select all, copied and then
        pasted the file into Wordpad. Saved the Wordpad file on top of the
        file I opened in Xemacs. Problem solved. Weird.

        --- In intellibrain@yahoogroups.com, "johnabshier"

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
          John,

          We have seen this or a similar problem when there are a large number
          of compilation errors. We've found that if you fix the error in the
          program, jikes will then work fine.

          There are a few things you could attempt to try to narrow down the
          problem. One option is to go back to the last version of your
          program which compiled okay then make small changes and compile
          after each change. Another option is to use "/*" and "*/" to
          comment out large sections of code until the program compiles.
          Slowly uncomment sections of code to identify the location of the
          problem. Yet another option is to put an error into the program
          that you know will generate a compile error. Start with the error
          near the beginning of the file and keep moving it until the dialog
          shows up before the compiler hits the error.

          The RidgeSoft Team