Re: [intellibrain] Soccer Robot ...

  • Paul King
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2009

      Note that the cmucam is not a full computer vision system.  All it can tell you is the x,y location of the ball at any given moment (the ball being a brightly colored region to the cmucam, which allows it to return the x,y region center).

      To compute a trajectory you will need to plot the change in the x,y coordinate over time by collecting periodic samples of the ball position and noting the time on the system clock (System.currentTimeMillis()).  With some math from basic physics, the ball's velocity can be calculated, from which predictions can be made about future ball location.  These coordinates in front-facing x,y will need to be translated into playing-field x,y coordinates using 3D geometry relating to visual perspective.

      More math from basic physics will allow you to compute the intersection of the ball trajectory (based on its current position and velocity) and the line of action of the robot (the path along which it moves).  The robot can then travel to that point over time, with its position as represented in a model updated as it moves.

      The robot may want to continue to track the ball as it moves.  Future ball positions will need to be translated geometrically relative to the robot's estimated current position, as compensating for this visual parallax is necessary to translate the ball's visual position into accurate playing field x,y coordinates.

      The robot Java program would need to be a continuous loop that estimates its position, the ball's position, the likely point of intersection of the ball with its path, and makes an adjustment to the robot's current movement speed (or stops).

      This 2 page article I found online discusses an algorithm for lanning goalie position in robot soccer:

      Kalman filters are useful math for estimating the velocity of a moving target from several imperfect measurements taken over time.  It was developed 50 years ago for target tracking in radar systems.

      Best,
      Paul (another IntelliBrain user)

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2009
        I know nothing about computer graphics and the rest, but would be
        really interested in knowing if you could convert the head-on view
        of the socces ball into x,y coordinates using the IBrain and its floating
        point emulation.

        Peter

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 4, 2009

          converting between coordinate systems is not very computation intensive.  probably not more then 5 or 10 floating point multiplies, which would only need to be done a few times per second (every time a new destination is calculated).  One would need to use sine and cosine functions, but those are supported in the Math library. There shouldn't need to be any actual computer vision involved, other than what the CMUCam does in hardware, which is to turn a colored object into an x,y coordinate.

          paul

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 4, 2009
            My problem was that I thought you were mapping a 3 dimensional path of the ball from the head-of-view.
            If you're only trying to put yourself in front of the ball, I don't see a problem.

            Peter

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
              --- In intellibrain@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Chatterton" <peter@...> wrote:

              > My problem was that I thought you were mapping a 3 dimensional path of the ball from the head-of-view.
              >
              > If you're only trying to put yourself in front of the ball, I don't see a problem.
              >
              > Peter

              To Peter :
              The robot is facing the ball because the cmucam is mounted in front of the robot, that serve as the vision of the robot....The ball is moving, so the robot need to predict the trajectory line of the ball, so that the robot (goal keeper) can obstruct the ball in entering the goal...the sonar is also mounted in front of the goal to measure the distance of the moving ball...our instructor said, we need to get the coordinates(x,y) of the moving ball and the coordinates of the robot(x,y) using the global, coordinates....i read the kalman filter...i cannot understand,,its very difficult to make a code in robojde.....do you have any idea in computation, using the cmucam to predict the ball, and about the Global coordinates ????
            • COE
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
                To Peter:

                The CMUCAM is facing the ball because is is mounted in front of the intellebrain bot..it serve as the vision of the bot, and it is use to predict of the coming ball....the sonar is also mounted in the front of the intellebrain bot, under the cmucam to measure the distance of the moving ball..our teacher said that we need to get the x and y coordinates of the moving ball, using the global cartesian plane...do you have any idea in computation to predict the trajectory line of the ball using the cmucam or using the global coordinates ??? tnx..

                To Paul:
                thanks for the link of the kalman and the pdf...but it sad to say that i did not understand the kalman,,....Its very difficult to make a code in RoboJDe for kalman...but anyway, tnx for your effort guys...
              • Peter Chatterton
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
                  That two page paper looks very promising but stops just when it's
                  getting interesting and maybe even useful.

                  The Kalman filter article is a total waste of time.

                  You need to find what other people are doing.

                  I still don't think you can generate a 3D track image from the 2D
                  end-on images using the IBrain.  But you don't need to if you have a
                  workable heuristic such as I thought the two page paper was going
                  to give you; I wonder if it got left off by mistake.

                  Good luck!
                  Peter

                  > My problem was that I thought you were mapping a 3 dimensional path of the ball from the head-of-view.
                  >
                  > If you're only trying to put yourself in front of the ball, I don't see a problem.
                  >
                  > Peter

                • COE SECTIONB
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 6, 2009
                    To Peter and Paul:
                                           Thank you guys for your effort and idea.....i appreciate it so much...But if you have any idea about soccer robot (goal keeper) using cmucam, please post it here..especially it discuss about getting the trajectory line of the ball  and getting the global coordinates of it....
                  • blescohier
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 6, 2009
                      What are you considering as the x and y axes? I assume that x is 'right and left' as the goalie looks at the playing field, and that y is up and down.

                      In that case, 2 points define a line and the time it takes the ball to get from one point to the other is your ball.x and ball.y velocities. Capture the x and y position of the ball every t milliseconds, use the distance formula (http://www.purplemath.com/modules/distform.htm) to determine the distance traveled, and then use the velocity of the ball (v = d/t) to predict the position where the ball will cross the goal line. If that position is inside the goal, move the robot to that position... if that position is outside your goal, let it go... it will miss the goal and be a goalie kick.

                      -Bill

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 6, 2009
                        How can you 'capture the x and y' positions when you just have
                        an end-on view?

                        Are you sure that the height of the ball isn't variable as well?

                        Peter

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 6, 2009
                          Take the center of the goal as (0,0).

                          y (vertical axis)
                          ^

                          0 |
                          ball |

                          <-------------x-----------> (horizontal)

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 6, 2009
                            "...the time it takes the ball to get from one point to the other is your ball.x and ball.y velocities."

                            Isn't it the speed of the end-on image?  I don't see how that would be the speed of the ball,
                            except by chance.

                            Though I'm not saying your algorithm won't work.

                            Peter

                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 8, 2009
                              global coordinates....i am not sure with my idea...if the Ibrain bot know its current location (x,y) and orientation, i think it can predict the (x,y) location of the ball also..but, i am not sure with this...

                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 8, 2009
                                i keep on searching about soccer robot (goal keeper) on then net, but goal keeper is seldom...most of them did not used cmu cam and Ibrain, so there process is different, thanks for reply.....

                                -Ike G.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 8, 2009
                                  it's a good idea...i will try this to program in robojde...tnx....

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 8, 2009
                                    we use golf ball.....

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 8, 2009
                                      To All:

                                       Have try to use the dead reckoning? It let the Ibrain bot to know it's position(x,y) and its orientation...i will try to experiment this one...maybe it will help me to get the coordinates of the moving ball...

                                      -Ike G.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 8, 2009
                                        thanks to everyone....for posting your idea.....I'm still accepting Idea :)...our Intellebrain can track the ball...but it can't able to move closer  to the ball....it has an eye, but it has no feet....

                                        -Ike G.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 8, 2009
                                          If you had unlimited resources you could make a neural network that could train itself to stop the ball.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 9, 2009

                                            The following might work...

                                            * the y coordinate (vertical) of the cmucam should be a direct, linear measure of how far down the field the ball is.  That is, the y coordinate is an estimate for the distance the ball is from the goalie.

                                            * The size of the ball in the cmu cam is also an approximate estimate for the distance (it  gets larger as its gets closer)

                                            * the sonar sensor may be able to measure ball distance, but may often be confused by other things

                                            * these three measures could be combined into an estimated distance down the field the ball is

                                            Once you have a measure of where the ball is down the field, you can estimate its x (horizontal) coordinate.  The playing field should appear on the cmucam as a trapezoid.  That is, horizontal distances compress toward the vanashing point the farther away they are.  So it should be possible to take the x coordinate from the cmu cam, normalize it relative to center (so that at center, x = 0), and then multiply the x coordinate by the distance (also multiply by a calibrated coefficient that translates distance into perspective compression).  This should give an estimate for the x coordinate on the field.

                                            With two measurements of the ball's x,y coordinate spaced by known time intervals, it's velocity can be estimated.  The only part of the velicoty that matters is how fast the x coordinate is changing.  The bot will want to "chase" the changing x coordinate to get slightly ahead of it, and just wait there.

                                            In fact, the x coordinate may be the only thing that matters. It may be possible to ignore distance altogether.  If the robot changes its position so that the trajectory of the ball will take it to center bottom of the cmucam screen, that may put it in the right place to block the ball.  It that case, all coordinate systems can be ignored, and the robot only needs to deal with "hand-eye" coordination: moving itself so that the ball's trajectory on the screen forms a line that ends at the robot.

                                            Just some thoughts...

                                            Paul