Servo ports stopped working

  • Arturo
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13, 2009
      I'm still using the old IntelliBrain controller and I'm experiencing problems with the servo ports. All other sensors and ports connected work just fine. I tested the servos themselves to make sure it wasn't a physical problem with the servos by connecting them to another bot, and the servos themselves are fine. Is there anything on the board that could get damaged which might cause this? I'm quite careful with them but I can't think of another reason why BOTH ports would not work.
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13, 2009

        Hi Arturo,

        It sounds like the servo jumpers on the expansion board header may not be installed.  Please check that they are installed as shown in Figure 12 on page 27 of the IntelliBrain User Guide (http://www.ridgesoft.com/intellibrain/IntelliBrainGuide.pdf).

        Message 3 of 6 , May 13, 2009
          So this is the case even if the Servos are connected to the main board? I removed the expansion board to make sure it wasn't shorting out the mainboard in someway, but Servos still did not rotate.

          --- In intellibrain@yahoogroups.com, "RidgeSoft" <rs1@...> wrote:

          > Hi Arturo,
          >
          > It sounds like the servo jumpers on the expansion board header may not
          > be installed. Please check that they are installed as shown in Figure
          > 12 on page 27 of the IntelliBrain User Guide
          > (http://www.ridgesoft.com/intellibrain/IntelliBrainGuide.pdf
          > <http://www.ridgesoft.com/intellibrain/IntelliBrainGuide.pdf> ).

          > --- In intellibrain@yahoogroups.com, "Arturo" <agarcia@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm still using the old IntelliBrain controller and I'm experiencing
          > problems with the servo ports. All other sensors and ports connected
          > work just fine. I tested the servos themselves to make sure it wasn't a
          > physical problem with the servos by connecting them to another bot, and
          > the servos themselves are fine. Is there anything on the board that
          > could get damaged which might cause this? I'm quite careful with them
          > but I can't think of another reason why BOTH ports would not work.

          So
          Message 4 of 6 , May 13, 2009
            Yes. When the expansion board is present the timer outputs from the CPU
            are routed to the expansion board and multiplexed through a CPLD. When
            the expansion board is not present the timer outputs control the servos
            directly, but the jumpers need to be inserted to connect the timer
            outputs to the servo control signals.

            --- In intellibrain@yahoogroups.com, "Arturo" <agarcia@...> wrote:

            > So this is the case even if the Servos are connected to the main
            board? I removed the expansion board to make sure it wasn't shorting out
            the mainboard in someway, but Servos still did not rotate.

            > --- In intellibrain@yahoogroups.com, "RidgeSoft" rs1@ wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi Arturo,
            > >
            > > It sounds like the servo jumpers on the expansion board header may
            not
            > > be installed. Please check that they are installed as shown in
            Figure
            > > 12 on page 27 of the IntelliBrain User Guide
            > > (http://www.ridgesoft.com/intellibrain/IntelliBrainGuide.pdf
            > > <http://www.ridgesoft.com/intellibrain/IntelliBrainGuide.pdf> ).
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > RidgeSoft Support
            > >

            > > --- In intellibrain@yahoogroups.com, "Arturo" <agarcia@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm still using the old IntelliBrain controller and I'm
            experiencing
            > > problems with the servo ports. All other sensors and ports connected
            > > work just fine. I tested the servos themselves to make sure it
            wasn't a
            > > physical problem with the servos by connecting them to another bot,
            and
            > > the servos themselves are fine. Is there anything on the board that
            > > could get damaged which might cause this? I'm quite careful with
            them
            > > but I can't think of another reason why BOTH ports would not work.
            > > >

            > So

          • Arturo
            Message 5 of 6 , May 14, 2009
              Thank you for the response. I think I understand that aspect, but it still doesn't explain why the servos stopped working suddenly. The jumpers have never been changed (I'm the only one who makes changes to them). I will keep playing around with the jumpers. Thanks for you help.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 14, 2009
                Also check the jumpering for the servo power. Without the expansion
                board the power jumper also needs to be in place on the servo header.
                If the expansion board is in place check that you have the power jumpers
                set correctly per Figure 14 on page 30 of the user guide. If none of
                this works, check check that there is power on the servo power pins when
                the board is turned on. There is a auto-reset fuse (marked F2) near the
                servo 1 connector. Perhaps that could have failed.