Re: ROboJDE robot won't follow line

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2008
      Hi Dwight,

      The best way to troubleshoot this is to test sensor and motors
      individually. You can test the motors using the TimedManeuvering
      examples. Load the IntelliBrainBotTimedForward example. If the
      robot doesn't drive in a relatively straight line forward, the
      problem is with the motors. If it goes backwards, the motor
      connections are swapped.

      To test the line sensors, load the IntelliBrainBotLineFollower
      example. The program has two modes. Initially it starts with the
      motors off, but displays the sensor readings and whether it thinks it
      is left, right or centered over the line. Run the program in this
      mode to test the sensors. The sensors should read a high value (>
      500) when over the line and low value (< 100) when over white. The
      distance each sensor is above the line will affect its reading. It
      could be that one sensor is not the ideal distance from the surface.
      You can determine this by observing the readings. If the sensor
      reading doesn't vary a lot between black and white surfaces, try
      adjusting its distance from the surface. If a reading doesn't vary
      at all, check the connections carefully.

      --- In intellibrain@yahoogroups.com, "3rd Party Support Services"
      <third_party28315@...> wrote:

      > I have the line sensors installed (as the directions on the web
      site
      > show).
      >
      > Every time I try to get it to follow a line it just oges in a
      circle
      > to the left.
      >
      > I am trying to use the demo program installed to show the feature.
      >
      > I am using white posterboard, with black electrical tape on it.
      >
      > It seems like one of the motors isn't working right or one of the
      > sensors is faulty.
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated.
      >
      > Dwight Welsh
      > FLora Macdonald Academy

    • Dwight Welsh
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
        I have tried re-positioning the sensors numerous times,
        they still keep giving me problems.

        I can adjust their position, set it on the white background and it shows lost, put it on the black line and it shows (either 1 left, 1 right, both left, both right or lost, or it has a reading very low 30 -50) my line is approx 2.5 inches wide.

        I have checked connections and they all seem kosher and there seems to be nothing faulty on the circuit board.

        What else could it be??

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
          Hi Dwight,

          You need to look at the numeric readings of each of the sensors when
          they are over the white background and over the black line. It could
          be the reflectivity of the tape you are using is too high, or the
          background is not opaque. The best way to determine what is going on
          is to look at the readings of each of the sensors individually. Set
          the robot on the background area and note the readings of the two
          sensors. They should both read low. Set the robot with one sensor
          over the tape and the other over the background. The sensor over the
          tape should read high while the other sensor reads low. Switch it so
          the situation is reversed. Finally, try with both sensors over the
          line. Again, make sure you take note of the numerical readings and
          verify each sensor reads less than 100 when over white and greater
          than 500 when over the line. If the sensors don't read this high
          over the line, their positions may need to be adjusted, you may need
          to use less reflective tape, or you may need to adjust the threshold
          value in the program to be appropriate for your setup.

          If you aren't able to get it to work, please reply with the numeric
          readings for each of the sensors over the background and over the
          line (2 readings for each sensor).

          --- In intellibrain@yahoogroups.com, Dwight Welsh