Re: Analog ports and using switches

  • cacarreto
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
      We are using a different configuration for on/off switches: the switch
      is between the signal and +5V, and there is a pull-down resistor
      between the signal and the ground. Of course in this case we don't
      enable the pull-up resistor by software. Are there any disadvantages
      in using the pull-down configuration?

      Thanks

      Carlos
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
        Carlos,

        The way you have connected the switches is reasonable provided you are drawing the +5V from the IntelliBrain board. The microcontroller chip can be damaged if a signal pin is driven by an external +5V source that is actually at a slightly higher voltage than the IntelliBrain's +5V power. If you are drawing power from the port's power pin there shouldn't be a problem.

        One advantage of using the internal pull-up is you don't need the external resistor, you can simply connect the swtich to the signal and ground pins.

        The RidgeSoft Team