Re: Comment on "Enabling Your Robot to Keep Track of Its Position"

  • G.W. Lucas
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
      No sooner did I let the post get out than I realized that
      I was dead wrong. Please disregard my comment. The
      calculation is correct as stated in the document.

      > deltaDistance = (leftCounts+rightCounts)/2.0 * distancePerCount

      Sorry,

      Gary
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
        The document is correct. The calculation is intended to determine the
        distance the center of the robot moves, which, for small movements, is
        the average of the left and right encoder counts multipled by the
        distance a wheel travels for each count:

        deltaDistance = averageEncoderCounts * distancePerCount

        where

        averageEncoderCounts = (leftCounts + rightCounts)/2.0

        and

        deltaDistance = ((leftCounts+rightCounts)/2.0) * distancePerCount

        or

        deltaDistance = (leftCounts+rightCounts)/2.0 * distancePerCount

        For example, if the left encoder increments by 2 and the right encoder
        increments by 3, the center of the robot will move the average of the
        distances the two wheels traverse, which is 2.5 * distancePerCount.

        RidgeSoft Support