Jamal Ahmed Al-Fadl says he was part of Osama bib Laden's "terrorist" network.

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2001
      Assalamu'alaikum,

      We are sending this not because we agree with its contents, but to inform
      you of what is being written about Islam and Muslims. We personally feel
      it is all a pack of lies. This will be the beginning of a new negative
      slur campaign against Islam and Muslims. It is ironic that the biggest
      terrorist network in the world, the US government, would accuse others of
      terrorism. Why don't they admit to their high crimes before hypocritcally
      accusing others.

      Yahya
      -----------------

      Witness describes terrorist's U.S. plans

      Bin Laden wanted to destroy `snake'

      BY COLUM LYNCH

      http://www.miamiherald.com/content/today/news/national/digdocs/072066.htm

      NEW YORK -- A defector from Osama bin Laden's terrorist network gave a
      dramatic account of its inner workings Tuesday, telling a New York jury
      that the militant Islamic organization received military and political
      support from Hezbollah guerrillas in Lebanon and from Sudan's ruling
      Islamic party.

      Jamal Ahmed Al-Fadl, who has been a U.S. informant since 1996 and whose
      identity had previously been kept secret by the government, was the first
      witness in the federal trial of four men accused of conspiring to bomb the
      American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania on Aug. 7, 1998.

      Al-Fadl said he was inducted into the group -- known as al Qaeda, Arabic
      for ``the Base'' -- as one of its earliest members in 1989 in Afghanistan.
      He also said he was present when bin Laden declared war on the United
      States in the early 1990s and vowed to drive American forces from Saudi
      Arabia and other Arab countries.

      ``We have to cut the head off the snake and stop them,'' Al-Fadl quoted
      Bin Laden as saying in late 1993. ``The snake is America.''

      Dressed in blue jeans and a white skull cap, the 38-year-old former
      Sudanese militant described the organization's political structure,
      military strategy and links to Islamic revolutionaries from Chechnya to
      Yemen, including its purchase of farms for military training in Sudan.

      Al-Fadl said al Qaeda was founded in 1989 by Islamic freedom fighters who
      had driven the Soviet army out of Afghanistan.

      When the war ended, bin Laden, the son of a Saudi construction magnate,
      found a new enemy: moderate, pro-Western Arab governments, including Egypt
      and Saudi Arabia, and the United States. And he moved his headquarters to
      the Sudan, establishing a series of businesses to conceal the group's
      activities and finance its operations.

      Al-Fadl said bin Laden first declared war on the United States in 1991,
      after American troops established bases in Saudi Arabia, site of Islam's
      holiest places, to drive Iraq from Kuwait during the Persian Gulf War.

      ``They can't let the American army stay in the Gulf, taking our oil,
      taking our money,'' Al-Fadl quoted bin Laden as saying. ``We have to do
      something to take them out. We have to fight them.''

      According to the prosecution, Al-Fadl -- he previously had been identified
      in court documents only as ``CS-1,'' for Confidential Source No. 1 --
      broke ranks with bin Laden after he was caught stealing money from the
      Saudi exile, who is now believed to be living in Afghanistan. Al-Fadl has
      pleaded guilty to an unspecified charge and is cooperating with the
      government under a plea agreement, prosecutors said.

      ``In an attempt to save himself and his family, he approached the American
      government and offered to provide information,'' Assistant U.S. Attorney
      Paul Butler said in his opening argument Monday.

      Al-Fadl said he had lived and studied in the United States in the
      mid-1980s and attended a mosque in Brooklyn where he was recruited to
      fight in Afghanistan against the Soviets.

      There, he met bin Laden. At the end of the Afghan war, he said, bin Laden
      proposed to form a new organization ``to change our [Arab] governments. We
      need one Muslim government for the whole Muslim world.''

      Al-Fadl said he then traveled with his brother to a secret guest house in
      Afghanistan, where he signed three papers and swore allegiance to al
      Qaeda, pledging his life to a holy war. ``Whatever it was they ask you,
      you have to do it,'' he said.

      Although Al-Fadl claims to have played no direct role in the bombings of
      the U.S. embassies, which killed 224 people and injured more than 4,000,
      the prosecutions hopes that his testimony will help show that al Qaeda is
      a sophisticated organization determined to kill Americans around the
      globe.

      quotation marks).
      CANADA'S ONLINE ISLAMIC BOOKSTORE: HTTP://WWW.ISLAMICBOOKSCANADA.COM

      ISLAMIC NEWS AND INFORMATION NETWORK: HTTP://WWW.ININ.NET