IAP ACTION ALERT: OPPOSE PROPOSED LEGISLATION WHICH WOULD BLAME PALESTINIANS

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2000
      Assalamu'alaikum,

      IAP ACTION ALERT: OPPOSE PROPOSED LEGISLATION WHICH WOULD BLAME
      PALESTINIANS

      *******Please circulate******

      Islamic Association for Palestine In North America
      10661 South Roberts Rd, Suite 202
      Palos Hills, IL 60465
      Tel: 708 974 3380
      Fax: 708 974 3389
      Pager: 1 800 916 8286

      For immediate release Oct 16/00

      It has come to our attention that Congresswoman Lynn Rivers (Michigan
      13th District) indicated today that there are several resolutions about
      to be introduced in both the House and Senate which (in different formats)
      seeks to assign the blame for what is happening in the Middle East to the
      Palestinian side. (see the draft below) It is expected to be brought up in
      the House as early as TUESDAY, October 17th. We urge you to call, fax or
      e-mail your Senator and Congressperson and voice your opposition to these
      resolutions.

      Call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 to get you
      representative phone and fax numbers.

      You can also find out how to contact your Senator by visiting
      http://www.senate.gov/ and how to contact your representative in the
      U.S. House of Representatives by visiting http://www.house.gov/ Also, to
      get emails of all members of house and senate and other helpful contacts
      you can also visit: http://www.vista-x.com/governmail/gvindex.htm

      Also, remember that if you send and e-mail don't forget to put the intent
      of your message in your subject heading, as many messages are not opened,
      but simply tabulated.

      You can use this letter as a model, but it is best to use your own words
      if you can:

      Dear Congressperson or Senator,

      "It has come to my attention that several resolutions are about to be
      introduced in the House and Senate which will attribute the responsibility
      for the current violence in the Mid East to the Palestinian side. Not
      only do I disagree with that assessment of responsibility, but I think it
      is extraordinarily unwise for Congress to weigh in on this matter at this
      time. I believe that such resolutions make a mockery of the American
      status as an "honest broker". I also believe that such resolutions, if
      passed, are likely to incite further violence and bloodshed. President
      Clinton has stated recently that "We have got to move beyond blame. We
      have got to focus on what we are going to do tomorrow and the next day."
      I ask the question, why is it that America is not interested in blame only
      when it so clearly falls on Israel, which the entire international
      community has agreed upon in a recent UN resolution? Please seriously
      re-consider this unwise course of action. I also remind you that In the
      past when Congress passed an "unbalanced" non-binding resolution on the
      Middle East, mass demonstrations occurred and lives were lost. What
      Congress says on behalf of the United States does matter and US role in
      the Middle East ought not be undermined by congressional politics. "

      Sincerely yours,

      Your name here.

      WHEREAS: The Arab-Israeli conflict must be resolved by peaceful
      negotiation;

      WHEREAS: Since 1993, Israel and the Palestinians have been engaged in
      intensive negotiations over the future of the West Bank and Gaza;

      WHEREAS: The United States, through its consistent support of Israel and
      the
      cause of peace, made the current peace process possible;

      WHEREAS: The underlying basis of those negotiations was recognition of the
      Palestine Liberation Organization by Israel in exchange for the
      renunciation of violence by the P.L.O. and its Chairman Yasser Arafat,
      first expressed in his letter to then-Israeli Prime Minister Rabin dated
      September 9, 1993, in which he stated: "[T]he PLO renounces the use of
      terrorism and other acts of violence, and will assume responsibility over
      all PLO elements and personnel in order to assure their compliance,
      prevent violations and discipline violators."

      WHEREAS: As a result of those negotiations, the Palestinians now fully
      control over 40% of the West Bank and Gaza, with over 95% of the
      Palestinian population under the civil administration of the Palestinian
      Authority;

      WHEREAS: As a result of peace negotiations, Israel turned over control of
      these areas to the Palestinian Authority control with the clear
      understanding and expectation that the Palestinians would maintain order
      and security there;

      WHEREAS: The Palestinian Authority, with the assistance of Israel and the
      international community, created a strong police force--almost twice the
      number allowed under the Oslo accords--specifically to maintain public
      order;

      WHEREAS: The Government of Israel made clear to the world its commitment
      to peace at Camp David where it expressed its readiness to take
      wide-ranging and painful steps in order to bring an end to the conflict,
      but these proposals were rejected by Chairman Arafat;

      WHEREAS: Perceived provocations must only be addressed at the negotiating
      table;

      WHEREAS: It is only through negotiations, and not through violence, that
      the Palestinians can hope to achieve their political aspirations;

      WHEREAS: Even in the face of the desecration of Joseph's Tomb, a Jewish
      holy site in the West Bank, the Government of Israel has made it clear
      that it will withdraw forces from Palestinian areas if the Palestinian
      Authority maintains order in those areas;

      WHEREAS: The Palestinian leadership not only did too little to for far too
      long to control the violence, but in fact encouraged it;

      THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT: The House of Representatives:

      1. Expresses its solidarity with the State and people of Israel at this
      time of crisis;

      2. Condemns the Palestinian leadership for encouraging the violence and
      doing so little for so long to stop it, resulting in the senseless loss of
      life;

      3. Calls upon the Palestinian leadership to refrain from any exhortations
      to public incitement, urges the Palestinian leadership to vigorously use
      its security forces to stop all violence, to show respect for all holy
      sites, and to settle all grievances through negotiations;

      4. Commends successive U.S. governments on their continuing efforts to
      achieve peace in the Middle East.

      5. Urges the Administration to use its veto power at the UN Security
      Council to ensure the Security Council does not again pass unbalanced
      resolutions addressing the uncontrolled violence in the areas controlled
      by the Palestinian Authority;

      6. Calls on all parties involved in the Middle East conflict to make all
      possible efforts to reinvigorate the peace process in order to prevent
      further senseless loss of life by all sides.

      ooooooo
      ooooooooooo
      ooooooooooooo
      ooooooooooooooo
      Proudly Serving Palestine and Al-Quds ooooooooooooooo
      ___________________________________________| |___

      Islamic Association for Palestine ___ _ ____
      10661 South Roberts Rd, Suite 202 |_ _| / \ | _ \
      Palos Hills, IL 60465 | | / _ \ | |_) |
      Tel: 708 974 3380 | | / ___ \ | __/
      Fax: 708 974 3389 |___|/_/ \_\|_|
      E-mail: iapinfo@... http://www.iap.org

      IAP FOURTH ANNUAL CONVENTION (NOV 23-26)

      You are invited to the Islamic Association For Palestine (IAP) Fourth
      Annual Convention in Chicago. The date of the conference is November
      23-26, 2000. Invited speakers include Abdul Jawad Saleh, Journalist Fahmi
      Harmoush, Dr. Abdel Sattar Abu Ghoudeh, Sh. Raed Salah, Dr. Abel Sattar
      Qasem, Jawad Alhamad, Dr. Azzam Atamimi, Dr. Jamal Badawi, and others
      Please visit our website AT HTTP://WWW.IAP.ORG for more details or call
      1 877-NOW IAP3.

      quotation marks).
      CANADA'S ONLINE ISLAMIC BOOKSTORE: HTTP://WWW.ISLAMICBOOKSCANADA.COM

      ISLAMIC NEWS AND INFORMATION NETWORK: HTTP://WWW.ININ.NET