FBI Begins Visiting Libraries

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2002
      FBI Begins Visiting Libraries

      By Christopher Newton
      Associated Press Writer
      Monday, June 24, 2002; 5:38 PM

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A37774-2002Jun24?language=printer

      WASHINGTON .. The FBI is visiting libraries nationwide and checking the
      reading records of people it suspects of having ties to terrorists or
      plotting an attack, library officials say.

      The FBI effort, authorized by the antiterrorism law enacted after the
      Sept. 11 attacks, is the first broad government check of library records
      since the 1970s when prosecutors reined in the practice for fear of
      abuses.

      The Justice Department and FBI declined to comment Monday, except to note
      that such searches are now legal under the Patriot Act that President Bush
      signed last October.

      Libraries across the nation were reluctant to discuss their dealings with
      the FBI. The same law that makes the searches legal also makes it a
      criminal offense for librarians to reveal the details or extent.

      "Patron information is sacrosanct here. It's nobody's business what you
      read," said Kari Hanson, director of the Bridgeview Public Library in
      suburban Chicago.

      Hanson said an FBI agent came seeking information about a person, but her
      library had no record of the person. Federal prosecutors allege Global
      Relief Foundation, an Islamic charity based in the Chicago suburb, has
      ties to Osama bin Laden's terror network

      The University of Illinois conducted a survey of 1,020 public libraries in
      January and February and found that 85 libraries had been asked by federal
      or local law enforcement officers for information about patrons related to
      Sept. 11, said Ed Lakner, assistant director of research at the school's
      Library Research Center.

      The libraries that reported FBI contacts were nearly all in large urban
      areas.

      In Florida, Broward County library director Sam Morrison said the FBI had
      recently contacted his office. He declined to elaborate on the request or
      how many branch libraries were involved.

      "We've heard from them and that's all I can tell you," Morrison said. He
      said the FBI specifically instructed him not to reveal any information
      about the request.

      The library system has been contacted before. A week after the Sept. 11
      attacks, the FBI subpoenaed Morrison to provide information on the
      possible use of computer terminals by some of the suspected hijackers in
      the Hollywood, Fla., area.

      In October, investigators revisited the county's main library in Fort
      Lauderdale and also checked a regional library in Coral Springs.

      At least 15 of the 19 hijackers had Florida connections.

      The process by which the FBI gains access to library records is quick and
      mostly secret under the Patriot Act.

      First, the FBI must obtain a search warrant from a court that meets in
      secret to hear the agency's case. The FBI must show it has reason to
      suspect that a person is involved with a terrorist or a terrorist plot .
      far less difficult than meeting the tougher legal standards of probable
      cause, required for traditional search warrants or reasonable doubt,
      required for convictions.

      With the warrant, FBI investigators can visit a library and gain immediate
      access to the records.

      Judith Krug, the American Library Association's director for intellectual
      freedom, said the FBI was treading on the rights it is supposed to be
      upholding.

      "It's unfortunate because these records and this information can be had
      with so little reason or explanation," Krug said. "It's super secret and
      anyone who wants to talk about what the FBI did at their library faces
      prosecution. That has nothing to do with patriotism."

      Krug tells worried librarians who call that they should keep only the
      records they need and should discard records that would reveal which
      patron checked out a book and for how long.

      She is frustrated by the hate mail she says she receives when she speaks
      out against the Patriot Act.

      "People are scared and they think that by giving up their rights,
      especially their right to privacy, they will be safe," Krug said. "But it
      wasn't the right to privacy that let terrorists into our nation. It had
      nothing to do with libraries or library records."

      Some libraries said they will still resist government efforts to obtain
      records.

      Pat McCandless, assistant director for public services for Ohio State
      University's libraries, said, "State law and professional ethics say we do
      not convey patron information and that is still our stance.

      "To the best of our ability, we would try to support patron
      confidentiality," she said.

      ISLAMIC NEWS AND INFORMATION NETWORK: HTTP://WWW.ININ.NET

      WE AFFIRM THAT INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!!!!