Terrorism, Israel and My People - Commentary by Ramzy Baroud

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2001
      Assalamu'alakum

      Terrorism, Israel and My People

      By Ramzy Baroud

      Dec 4, 2001

      To merely describe a young Palestinian man who blows himself on a busy street
      or as he rides in a crowded bus as simply "evil", "wicked" and "terrorist",
      portrays a severe lack of understanding regarding the roots of the Arab-Israeli
      conflict.

      For decades the Middle East has been governed by such shallowness, and for
      decades the pain and hurt continue.

      If for once we would attain the courage to confront the problem, the carnage
      may have ended long ago.

      Many world leaders who rushed with poetic and unmatched condemnation of the
      "Palestinian terror" alleged that they were "shocked" by the news of suicide
      bombings in Western Jerusalem and the northern town of Haifa which claimed the
      lives of nearly 24 Israelis and wounded dozens.

      Yet I remember, in an article, following the massacre of 10 Palestinians who
      were murdered by Israeli troops upon their invasion of a Palestinian village,
      Beit Rima in West Bank last October, I concluded with the following paragraph:

      "The virtual silence before these Israeli crimes is likely to be soon replaced
      by angry questions "why do Palestinians blow themselves up?" But here you have
      it. It's the making of a new massacre, the making of more Palestinian orphans
      and widows and the making of more suicide bombers."

      Indeed, nothing was shocking about the suicide bombings, nor did I have an
      ingenious idea when I predicted such a Palestinian response, it is human nature
      to respond to horror conducted against one with similar horror; if we don't
      admit such a truth, we shall forever be caught in this deadlock.

      But let us track the events that preceded the bombings and see if we are still
      as shocked. The western media cites the escalation of violence and the
      subsequent Israeli invasion of six Palestinian towns in the West Bank to
      October 17, when Israeli hard-line minister Rehavam Zeevi was gunned down in a
      Jerusalem hotel.

      Yet as always, mainstream media, especially in the United States, failed to
      live up to the traditional requirement of journalism, honesty.

      The recent wave of violence should have been traced to the assassination by
      Israeli missiles of one of the most renowned Palestinian political leaders,
      Mustafa El-Zabri in his office in Ramallah a few weeks before the retaliatory
      assassination of the Israeli minister.

      While El-Zabri's death was described by US officials as "not helpful", and the
      Western media depicted the man as "militant", all hell broke lose when the
      Israeli minister was killed in response.

      Israel was then urged to show "restraint", PA President Yasser Arafat was
      cornered, "it's time for deeds not words", he was told, "rein on the
      terrorists" Israel ordered ..

      Then we dove into a period of virtuous silence by American officials, of
      course not including the routine demand of Palestinians "to stop the violence"
      and of Arafat "to crack down on militants", and of Israel to "show constraint."

      But what is extremely disturbing, is that an estimated 160 Palestinians have
      been murdered by Israel since then, killings that devastated entire communities
      and battered the remaining hope for peace; but strangely enough, the US found
      such killings not worthy of mention.

      Then it was the start of the holy month of Ramadan; news reports coming from
      the Occupied Territories cited few violent incidents in the early days of
      Ramadan. It seemed as if Palestinians were about to enjoy a period of quiet, to
      reflect and to enjoy the month of fasting.

      The opposite was true, It was clear that Israel's Prime Minster Sharon was
      keenly interested in provoking violence. He knew too well that the US was about
      to increase pressure on both him and Arafat to revive the stagnant peace talks.
      The most successful method that the man has used to prove that peace with the
      Palestinians is not possible, is to aggravate Palestinians to retaliate; and
      when they do, their retaliation is what the world will remember; everything
      prior to the so called "Palestinian violence" is forgotten.

      Let us quickly pass by the last ten days prior to the suicide bombings.

      On November 22, five Palestinian children from the same family were blown to
      pieces by the Israeli army while in their way to school in the Gaza Strip town
      of Khan Yunis.

      Western condemnation of the killings was hardly reported.

      On November 23, 15 year old Wael Radwan was shot by Israeli troops in his way
      to the local graveyard with a crowd of Palestinian mourners to bury the five
      children.

      No condemnation of the killing was reported in the Western world.

      On November 23, Israeli tank shells exploded on the Beit Iba road near Nablus,
      killing two cousins, both named Mohamed Samaineh.

      No condemnation of the killings was reported in the Western world.

      Also on November 23, Israel assassinated top Palestinian activists Mohammed Abu
      Hanoud and two brothers, Aymen and Mamoun Hasaikeh in Taluza near Nablus.

      No condemnation of the killing was reported in the Western world.

      More murders in November 23, when Mohamed Hinawi was killed when Israel shelled
      a taxi cap filled with passengers near Rafah.

      No condemnation of the killing was reported in the Western world.

      On November 25, Kifah Ebied from Dihisheh refugee camp in Bethlehem was killed
      by an Israeli sniper near a mosque.

      No condemnation of the killing was reported in the Western world.

      On November 28, 80-year-old Mousa Galami was intentionally run over by a
      settler's car in Nablus.

      No condemnation of the killing was reported in the Western world.

      Rami Mansour from Gaza was killed by four Israeli bullets on November 29.

      No condemnation of the killing was reported in the Western world.

      Rashad Mhna and Hassan Zbeidi were both killed in their cars near a checkpoint
      when Israel opened fire toward Palestinian vehicles near the Jordanian border
      on November 29.

      No condemnation of the killing was reported in the Western world.

      Mohamed Shahlah, 10, and Rami Asous were killed on December 1, Mohamed was in
      his house when an Israeli shell claimed his life and Rami was in a taxi cab
      returning home.

      No condemnation of the killing was reported in the Western world.

      The murder of Palestinians at the hand of an invading army, backed by a racist
      government policy that legitimizes the murder of innocent people, managed to
      escape us, as if such news was as routine as weather and sports.

      Many western agencies failed to even report on the killings, or mention the
      names of the victims; only using Israel's narration where every Palestinian
      killed is somehow a "militant" who posed a threat to the state of Israel.

      Should we just flip the page and return to our comfort zone where "Palestinian
      terrorism" is condemned with the strongest terms; or shall we for once track
      violence to its real roots and hold its perpetrators accountable?

      In truth, I am not seeking a mere condemnation of Israeli terrorism. I am
      seeking the end of the occupation and freedom for my people, the refugees, the
      victims and the misunderstood.

      ISLAMIC NEWS AND INFORMATION NETWORK: HTTP://WWW.ININ.NET

      VISIT: HTTP://WWW.MEDIAMONITORS.NET

      WE AFFIRM THAT INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!!!!

      IF IT ISN'T RADICAL THEN IT ISN'T ISLAM