Netanyahu On Attack On The US: "It's very good." (New York Times)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2001
      Assalamu'alaikum

      Please contact the NYTimes over this. Please send letters to the
      following addresses:

      andyr@... , lelyveld@... ,
      hraines@..., letters@...

      Spilled Blood Is Seen as Bond That Draws 2 Nations Closer
      By JAMES BENNET

      http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/12/international/12ISRA.html

      JERUSALEM, Sept. 11 Israeli officials and most Palestinian leaders
      condemned the attack on the United States today. But Israelis also took
      cold comfort in concluding that Americans would now share more of their
      fears, while some Palestinians rejoiced at the same thought.

      There were declarations of sympathy for the victims from both Israelis and
      Palestinians, as well as anxious telephone calls to friends and relatives
      in the United States. But politics is never far behind any human reaction
      here. And each side in this conflict saw in today's attack confirmation of
      its view of the bond of the United States and Israel that the two nations
      fought, and now suffered, together.

      Most West Bank towns were quiet today. But in Nablus, big crowds of
      Palestinians marched in celebration, chanting "Beloved bin Laden, strike
      Tel Aviv!" Some waved the flag of the terrorist organization Hamas. "Let
      the Americans know the meaning of death," one marcher said.

      Some Palestinians expressed the hope that the assault would prompt the
      United States to change its policies toward the Mideast conflict though
      pictures of Palestinians rejoicing were not likely to create sympathy for
      their cause.

      Yasir Arafat, leader of the Palestinian Authority, looked shaken as he
      appeared before reporters in Gaza to deplore "this terrible act."

      "We are completely shocked," Mr. Arafat said. "Completely shocked."

      The Palestinian Authority tried to prevent pictures from being taken of
      the marchers celebrating in Nablus, evidently very wary of the potential
      effect on world opinion.

      Israeli leaders, who have chafed at occasional American criticism of their
      measures against Palestinians, said the day's attacks would awaken the
      United States to the threat of global terrorism.

      Asked tonight what the attack meant for relations between the United
      States and Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, the former prime minister, replied,
      "It's very good." Then he edited himself: "Well, not very good, but it
      will generate immediate sympathy." He predicted that the attack would
      "strengthen the bond between our two peoples, because we've experienced
      terror over so many decades, but the United States has now experienced a
      massive hemorrhaging of terror."

      In an appearance late tonight, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon repeatedly
      placed Israel on the same ground as the United States, calling the assault
      an attack on "our common values" and declaring, "I believe together we can
      defeat these forces of evil." He declared Wednesday a day of mourning.

      Uzi Landau, Israel's minister for public security, said that the
      government had never imagined an assault of this size, let alone had its
      intelligence network gleaned any warning of its approach. He sounded
      astounded. "We had a number of different scenarios for large terrorist
      attack," he said in a telephone interview tonight. "But this particular
      concerted offensive against the United States, targeting the World Trade
      buildings, at the same time hitting Washington this we didn't consider."

      Mr. Sharon met for hours, late into the night, with his top ministers.
      Israel increased its already high state of alert, closed its international
      borders, and shut its airspace to all flights except Israeli planes with
      armed guards aboard.

      Asked if he thought Israel's conflict with the Palestinians was connected
      to the attack, Mr. Landau said he did not know. He accused Mr. Arafat of
      having laid "the foundation for modern terrorism, for blowing planes up in
      the air, for doing atrocities without blinking."

      In the streets of East Jerusalem, some drivers honked their horns in
      triumph, and Suleiman Qassem, 20, a plumber, passed out sweets to passerby
      when he heard the news. "The Americans give the Israelis Apache
      helicopters to bomb our houses," he said. "They give them diplomatic
      support and intelligence help on how to kill us."

      But Shadi Jaber, 25, said he was more ambivalent. "I really don't know if
      I'm happy or not," he said. "I don't know if it helps us or not. We don't
      hate the American people, we just want to solve the problem." He said that
      he had applied to the United States for a visa, but now feared he would
      not get it. "Now they'll say, `You're an Arab, you're a terrorist,' " he
      said.

      ISLAMIC NEWS AND INFORMATION NETWORK: HTTP://WWW.ININ.NET

      VISIT: HTTP://WWW.MEDIAMONITORS.NET

      WE AFFIRM THAT INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!!!!

      DEFINING APARTHEID

      Article 2 of the "International Convention of the Suppression and
      Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid" of 1973 clearly defined the
      term "crime of apartheid." This includes similar policies and practices
      of segregation and discrimination as practiced in South Africa and
      which also apply to inhuman acts committed for the purpose of the
      establishment and maintaining of domination by one racial group over
      another. This includes the deliberated imposition of living conditions
      calculated to cause physical destruction and any legislative or other
      measures preventing a racial group from full development of their
      political, social, economic and cultural life. This is an accurate
      description of what the zionists are doing to the Palestinian people
      with the full support of the USA.