God Bless Neil Young

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2006

      God Bless Neil Young
      But why does it take a 60 year old Canadian musician to generate political activism in America?

      Steve Watson / Prisonplanet | April 22 2006

      As an avid Neil Young fan of a few years now I am so happy to see him take an important stance against the criminal NeoCons in the White House and the illegal activities they are perpetrating at home and elsewhere.

      Known for his straight talking, confessional lyrical style, Young will hold back nothing on hastily penned new album "living with war" which will be an all out assault on the Bush crime syndicate.

      It seems that Young has woken up from his slumber and realised that the unconscionable actions of the criminal elite must be addressed and not simply sugar coated and quietly accepted as part of a "post 9/11 mentality".

      The centerpiece of the album is surely the song entitled "Let's impeach the president". No one else within the music industry has had the guts to pen such a brazen personal attack on Bush and the Neocons.

      Young 's words here are savage and blatant and he should be commended. Furthermore, there is certainly no feeling of phony leftism about the lyrics, a charge that has been leveled against many other protest songs that have come before.

      Let's impeach the president for lying
      Misleading our country into war
      Abusing all the power that we gave him
      And shipping all our money out the door

      The song goes on to address the Regime's criminality, spying, the mess they made of post-Katrina New Orleans, hijacking "our religion" for partisan purposes, as well as how they have used divisiveness and racism to further their political agenda. Young backs up his lyrics with Bush's own words, turning his inspid/Orwellian diatribe on tape against him as the song is transformed from a hard rocker into a soaring gospel inspirational.

      "You're always going to rub somebody the wrong way when you sing 'let's impeach the president,' " Young said. "But that's what this country's all about — being able to express your views."

      "We don't all have to believe in what our President believes in order to be Patriotic."

      Click below for a full interview with Neil young.

      Neil Young is a guy who, like many, was sucked into the phony patriotism after 9/11, rallying around Bush and speaking out in favour of the PATRIOT act.

      Yet his abrupt about face without fear of re-crimination is admirable given that many others within the entertainment industry have not dared to speak out at all.

      Furthermore, other celebrities that have spoken out , seem to be stuck firmly within the false left/right paradigm and their words tend to be cliched and cringe worthy.Take Madonna for example, who warned us all that "9/11 was ambiguous" yet government involvement could not be proven, reinforcing the hollow limited hangout of the impotent left-wing Michael Moore school of whitewashing.

      Young on the other hand cares less about his own image and record sales and more about freedom in America. Yes he has flip flopped politically all his career, ranging from protesting against Nixon in the 70s to staunchly supporting Regan in the 80s, but always with the notion that freedom in America is sacred.

      "Shock And Awe" is another lyrically powerful song on the record. As Howie Klein of the "Down with Tyranny" blog suggests, let's hope , Young's "Shock and Awe" will be long remembered after Bush and his shock and awe are nothing but an unfortunate footnote in history books.

      Back in the days of shock and awe
      We came to liberate them all
      History was the cruel judge of overconfidence
      Back in the days of shock and awe.
      Our "chief" was landing on the deck
      The sun was setting on a golden photo op
      Back in the days of "mission accomplished"
      Thousands of bodies in the ground
      Brought home in boxes to a trumpet's sound
      no one sees them coming home that way
      thousands buried in the ground
      Thousands of children scarred for life
      Millions of tears for a soldier's wife
      Both sides are losing now...

      Although Neil Young's words are moving and poignant, one must ask why is it that it is a 60 year old Canadian that is having to remind us America is being destroyed by our so called leaders?

      Why must we rely on someone like Young in order to inspire some kind of political activism in America today?

      Young himself has said "I was waiting for someone to come along, some young singer 18 to 22 years old, to write these songs and stand up ...I waited a long time. Then, I decided that maybe the generation that has to do this is still the '60s generation."

      What is wrong with the youth of today? Is this indicative of the fact that kids today do not even understand what freedom is supposed to be?

      Have the Orwellian attempts of the Neocons to transform the meaning of "freedom" into "slavery", with terms such as "PATRIOT act", "Mission accomplished" and "New freedom", begun to succeed?

      I am 26 years old, I am in the prime of my life and to see the generation below me systematically ignoring and dismissing everything I have grown up knowing is cherished and sacred is very scary.

      God bless him, but what are we going to do in another generation's time when artists like Neil Young and others in the limelight are no longer here to remind us just what America and freedom is supposed to be?

      Prison Planet.tv: The Premier Multimedia Subscription Package: Download and Share the Truth!