Re: a jolt- a quickie

  • Jurydoctor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2006
      $5 for each opinion donated to Schiff Liver Institute.

      What killed Mr. Ard?

      PLAINTIFF'S POSITION

      Brouss's serviceman arrived at the scene of the downed power pole and
      lines and without stopping to assess the situation and protect (warn)
      persons at the scene, turned around and went back down the road to open a
      switch to kill the power. The serviceman's actions of not staying at the
      scene (until it was safe ) violate company policy and the National Electrical
      Safety Code.

      DEFENDANT'S POSITION

      The serviceman arrived at the scene and saw it was secured by police
      on the scene, so he turned around to go shut down the power at the nearest
      switch. The serviceman's actions were reasonable and consistent with
      industry practice. The sole cause of the accident was Mr. Ard's negligently
      contacting the power line.

      Who is at fault and why?
      what %
      serviceman__________%
      Mr. Ard_______________%
      anyone else___________% (who)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 2006
        Amy -

        It would be helpful if you could provide a little more information.

        Where was the live wire in relationship to the police? Was there a blockade
        in place? Was the wire jumping all over the place or resting on something?

        Aside from any bizarre answers to the above, it would appear that it was
        safe for the serviceman to leave since the scene was secured by the police and
        someone had to shut down the power.

        Not knowing exactly how the contact between Ard and the live wire happened,
        it is truly hard to say. However, if the defense says he was negligent, it
        would appear that he did something he should not have. With that said, why
        should anyone have to pay for his stupidity, if that is what happened?

        Sincerely,

      • spiknox
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2006
          Seems like we are missing some info. But just going off common
          sense it would seem the serviceman was doing the right thing by
          turning off the power and thereby minimizing those that would
          eventually come in contact with a live wire.

          Terese Strickland
          S.P.I.
          Strickland Private Investigations
          PO Box 12366
          Knoxville, TN 37912
          spiknox@...

          www.E-MedicalTrace.com
          www.StricklandPI.com

        • datafacts@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21, 2006
            We had a line down in our back yard during severe weather earlier this month.

            Firemen stayed on the scene until the power company arrived, assessed the situation, and left to turn off power.

            After the power was off, only then did the fire department packed up and leave.
            Someone was here from the fire department the whole time, even though numerous lines were down locally.
            They handled each call the same way.

            Jim Gilboy

            DataFacts Inc.
            P.O. Box 111, Hales Corners, WI 53130

[...]