Re: [infoguys-list] Investigators Needed Nationwide This Saturday

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006
      Ryan -

      Since you are a licensed investigator, are you actually a licensee in all of
      the states that require licensing of the 50? If not, wouldn't your subbing
      out to licensees be a crime? That is, of course, unless you are doing this for
      free and not getting paid any money or other consideration. For that matter,
      in some states, isn't certain types of conspiracies a felony?

      Just curious.

      Glendale, CA 91207

    • Ricky Gurley
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006

        > Ryan -
        >
        > Since you are a licensed investigator, are you actually a licensee
        in all of
        > the states that require licensing of the 50? If not, wouldn't
        your subbing
        > out to licensees be a crime? That is, of course, unless you are
        doing this for
        > free and not getting paid any money or other consideration.

        Sue,

        I think that all he is asking for is people to assist in Signal
        Piracy Investigations.

        If this is the case could you explain to us the difference
        between what he is doing and you hiring an out of state Licensed
        Private Investigator to assist you on a case you are working in
        California, that requires some type of investigative work outside of
        the state of California i.e. pulling documents, surveillance,
        garbage collection etc., etc....?

        Rick.

        RMRI, Inc.
        Columbia, Missouri
        (888) 571-0958
      • Paul Curtis
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006
          Perhaps we overlooked something here. This request comes to us from our
          neighbors to the north in Canada. I suspect that the rules are a bit
          different up there. I know the jurisdiction is.

          Paul Curtis

          Costa Mesa, CA

          pncurtis@...

          _____

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006
            Rick -

            I’m surprised you would ask something so obvious.

            If I hire you as a client, I am directly responsible for your bill and I pay
            you for your services either out of my pocket or I present your bill to the
            client. Should the client fail to pay, well, guess what I eat for breakfast.
            I am not making any money on the deal and, depending upon the laws of your
            state, I better NOT be padding that bill.

            On the other hand, with what many of the investigators do who are farming
            out the pay-per-view matters, they are paying a portion of money they have been
            paid. In other words, they are making money on our work. In CA it clearly
            says that for anyone to offer to provide services for PI work here in CA for
            ANY CONSIDERATION WHATSOEVER, they must be duly licensed in CA. This would
            be considered CA work being done in CA for an investigator requiring a CA
            license.

            On the other hand, the attorneys out there that are hiring PI’s to do same
            are within the confines of, if nothing else, CA’s laws. I cannot speak for
            most others.

            818-242-9824 FAX

            thank a military veteran.

            God Bless America and her allies forever !!

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006
              Paul -

              If anyone holds themselves out as being able to provide CA investigations
              for any consideration whatsoever, they must be duly licensed in accordance with
              §§ 7521 and 7523. He does not qualify for an exemption.

              However, for all I know he might be duly licensed in CA. I haven't checked.
              I just asked the question. Also, I will reiterate, if he is not making ANY
              money at all on these subbings, he's not in any violation either.

              It doesn't matter what the laws say in Canada but rather it is the courts
              here in CA that he would have to face.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006
                Sue,

                Thanks. I guess I was thinking that he probably would not come under the
                jurisdiction of the California courts if he was operating out of Canada. On
                the other hand, if the information gathered is used in a case before the
                courts here he is sort of between a rock and a really hard place, isn’t he?

                All my best,

                Paul Curtis

                Costa Mesa, CA

                pncurtis@...

                PS I doubt this is a freebie :-)

                _____

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006

                  > It doesn't matter what the laws say in Canada but rather it is the
                  courts here in CA that he would have to face.

                  In this case, I am not sure that he would have to face the courts in
                  California at all, EVEN if these actions we refer to here in this
                  post were found to be criminal......

                  I strongly suspect that this is something that the state of
                  California would not waste it's time or money on.... Of course
                  though it is California, and I could certainly be wrong....

                  Personally; I believe this is all a bunch of non-sense.

                  I long for people that would make someone prove their statement, by
                  saying: "Ok, let's test your legal theory. When I am finished, I
                  will send you the names of all of the P.I.s that did this work for
                  me in California, and what they did, and I challenge you to have me
                  or cause me to be prosecuted over it".

                  It is always good to deal with people that are that confident about
                  what they are doing......

                  Rick.

                  RMRI, Inc.
                  Columbia, Missouri
                  (888) 571-0958
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 9, 2006
                    Rick -

                    You do not seem to understand as I have told you this previously so I will
                    say it again.

                    It does not matter what the State of CA is willing to do about it or not.
                    ANY person can file an action in the court for an injunction against unlawful
                    conduct. I've done it many, many times. Previously we would use the former
                    17200 B&P but that was recently changed whereby only those personally harmed and
                    out of pocket can file that way and when they prevail, they do get awarded
                    attorney fees. Although there are no attorney fees for "injunctions" there are
                    costs and I have an attorney friend who does them for GP.

                    Before 17200 changed, there was a nonprofit, CAUP, who went after unlicensed
                    people, not only PI's but all unlicensed parties. They never lost one. Since
                    the change, I've only gone after 2 but 1 was from out of state and I won
                    both.

                    Rick, someday when we both have time remind me to tell you about the case I
                    filed against the guy who put a bail Kiosk in the lobby of the San Luis Obispo
                    County jail. He didn't have a bail license. If Kevin Ripa successfully
                    saves my hard drive (which he just telephoned and said he believes he can), I
                    believe a copy of the complaint might be on that drive. If so, I'll share it with
                    you.

                    Glendale, CA 91207
                    818-242-2505
                    818-246-3001 FAX

                  • Ricky Gurley
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 9, 2006

                      > It does not matter what the State of CA is willing to do about it
                      or not.
                      > ANY person can file an action in the court for an injunction
                      against unlawful
                      > conduct. I've done it many, many times. Previously we would use
                      the former
                      > 17200 B&P but that was recently changed whereby only those
                      personally harmed and
                      > out of pocket can file that way and when they prevail, they do get
                      awarded
                      > attorney fees. Although there are no attorney fees
                      for "injunctions" there are
                      > costs and I have an attorney friend who does them for GP.

                      I believe you Sue.. I have no doubt that you could file a civil
                      action in this case (in any case for that matter)..

                      My point was not that a private person could not file on this case,
                      but that I did not believe the state of California would see this
                      case as something to spend the taxpayers money on. And because I am
                      talking about California, I also stated that I could be wrong.. I do
                      know that anytime the state of California will not extradite a
                      violent offender from the state of Florida, on a felony sexual
                      assault warrant, that there is a good possibility that the state of
                      California will not get too involved in a misdemeanor licensing
                      violation...

                      I am off to court, talk to ya later Sue. Have a good day and take
                      care..

                      Rick.

                      RMRI, Inc.
                      Columbia, Missouri