Fenderbenders...

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
      I have a question for the group..

      Let's say you get in a minor "fendbender" (you are out of your
      car, in a place of business, and someone backs into your parked
      car), minimal cosmetic damge, hardly even noticeable..

      Now, let's say that the person that hit you turns out to be a
      pretty responsible person, and they want to try to handle this
      without getting insurance comapnies involved. They give you a check
      for one thousand dollars ($1,000.00), and tell you that if the
      repairs cost anything over that, they will pay the difference. The
      check turns out to be good (nowadays that surprises me).

      So now I am all ready to go get your car repaired, I have
      cashed the check, have cash in had, and I am ready to go to my
      mechanic. Here is where the question comes in.. Is it fair to get
      any other issues repaired and inspected that may have resulted from
      the "fenderbender", but I can not prove positively were caused by
      the "fenderbender", i.e alignment issues, tire balancing and/or
      rotation, getting your mechanic to inspect the car for other
      problems that it may have as a result of the "fenderbender"?

      Folks, I am "mecahnically challenged" when it comes to
      automobiles, so excuse me if I made some sort of "stupid statement
      or implication". I am a pretty safe driver, I have never had a wreck
      in which I was the one driving the vehicle (although I have been in
      a few where someone else was driving). So, this is a farily new
      situation for me.

      But, I guess the question is, what is fair? Or, how far is too
      far? I want my car back EXACTLY like it was before
      the "fenderbender" and I feel like I should not have to pay one red
      cent for getting it back that way, no matter how minimal the damage
      is, since the "fenderbender" was absolutely not even one percent
      (1%) my fault. The lady that backed into me seems to be a really
      nice lady, very responsible, and was totally beside herself for
      doing it. So, I want to make sure that I am fair to her also.

      Please, give me some guidance here. I want to be fair, and I do
      NOT want to take advantage of the situation. So, tell me what I
      should expect, and what I should not expect here.

      Thnak you all for your time. Have a nice day.

      Rick.

      RMRI, Inc.
      "Columbia's Premier Investigation Agency"
      2101 W. Broadway PMB 326, Columbia, MO. 65203

      OFFICE: 607 N. Providence, Columbia, MO. 65203

      Phone: (636) 410-0251
      EMERGENCY TOLL FREE LINE: (888) 571-0958
      Fax 1: (636) 410-0257
      Fax 2: (314) 754-8483

      Website: http://www.rmri.net
    • oracleintl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
        Since you say that you are mechanically challenged, I'll respond
        accordingly, but if anyone who wasn't mechanically challenged asked me if it was
        reasonable to rotate your tires, rebalance them, and align the front end after a
        "hardly noticeable" fender bender, I'd respond much differently.

        "No."

        Take your car to a shop recommended by the local dealer (or the dealer),
        show them where you were hit, and tell them you want an estimate to fix whatever
        damage was done - and leave it up to them to make that determination.

        Do not tell them that this isn't an insurance case. If they believe an
        insurance company may get involved, it will keep them honest.

        Do not even suggest alignment, balancing or rotation - the shop will figure
        you are either uncommonly gullible, or commonly larcenous.

        If the estimate is significantly higher than you expect, go get a second
        estimate from someone your insurance company recommends. Your insurance company
        will give you good advice, and they will not raise your rates because
        someone hit you while you were parked.

        Take the estimate(s) to the lady that hit you and ask her what she wants to
        do.

        If she writes you another check - that's fine. What you do from there is up
        to you. Keep the money, or fix the car, or some combination thereof.

        Bill E. Branscum, Investigator
        Oracle International
        _http://www.fraudsandscams.com/_ (http://www.fraudsandscams.com/)
        _http://www.oracleinternational.com/_ (http://www.oracleinternational.com/)
        PO Box 10728
        Naples, FL 34101
        (239) 304-1639
        (239) 304-1640 Fax

        In a message dated 1/29/2006 3:44:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        rmriinc@... writes:

        Here is where the question comes in.. Is it fair to get
        any other issues repaired and inspected that may have resulted from
        the "fenderbender", but I can not prove positively were caused by
        the "fenderbender", i.e alignment issues, tire balancing and/or
        rotation . . .

        Folks, I am "mecahnically challenged" when it comes to
        automobiles, so excuse me if I made some sort of "stupid statement
        or implication"

        But, I guess the question is, what is fair? Or, how far is too
        far? So, I want to make sure that I am fair to her also.

      • nite_raider@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
          By being mechanically challenged, take it to whom you normally take your vehicles to and let them know that you need an estimate for the accident, don't suggest anything to them, and when they are doing the estimate, they will let you know if any of those things that you mentioned need to be done.
          I would get a couple of estimates in case the damages run over the money that you were giving, and in case there is something more severely wrong with the vehicle, and you have to contact the police for a report or an insurance company, most jurisdictions have a time limit on the amount of time that you have to file a report, and secondly if the accident is on private property, many times Law enforcement will not get involved unless there is bodily injury. Or it is a case of hit and run, which in your case isn't.
          And thirdly, there may be a reason why the person gave you a check and didn't want any insurance involvemet or police involved in the matter. The person may not have insurance or they may be high risk and don't want their company to find out so that their rates are raised for some reason or another.
          I always say, when an accident occurs, even a minor one, get the other driver's information, and the information of any witnesses that may be present and saw the accident, and if necessary contact the police, but even if you decide not to involve the police department, you have the information, in case the person lies to you for one reason or another.
          I have done numerous accident investigations, where I have had to try and track down the driver of the other vehicle and to try and find witnesses and examine the accident scene for any evidence that may be present and in a lot of cases, that is next to impossible, 30,60 or 90 after the accident.
          Sincerely;
          Roger L. Cotterman
          Nite Raider Recovery & Process Services
          PO Box 3448
          Paducah, KY 42003
          nite_raider@...
          http://home.comcast.net/~nite_raider

          From: oracleintl@...

          rmriinc@... writes:

          Here is where the question comes in.. Is it fair to get
          any other issues repaired and inspected that may have resulted from
          the "fenderbender", but I can not prove positively were caused by
          the "fenderbender", i.e alignment issues, tire balancing and/or
          rotation . . .

          Folks, I am "mecahnically challenged" when it comes to
          automobiles, so excuse me if I made some sort of "stupid statement
          or implication"

          But, I guess the question is, what is fair? Or, how far is too
          far? So, I want to make sure that I am fair to her also.

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "infoguys-list" on the web.

        • Ryugen C Fisher
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
            Hello Ricky,

            Sunday, January 29, 2006, 8:29:33 AM, you wrote:

            > I have a question for the group..

            > Let's say you get in a minor "fendbender" (you are out of your
            > car, in a place of business, and someone backs into your parked
            > car), minimal cosmetic damge, hardly even noticeable..

            > Now, let's say that the person that hit you turns out to be a
            > pretty responsible person, and they want to try to handle this
            > without getting insurance comapnies involved. They give you a check
            > for one thousand dollars ($1,000.00), and tell you that if the
            > repairs cost anything over that, they will pay the difference. The
            > check turns out to be good (nowadays that surprises me).

            > So now I am all ready to go get your car repaired, I have
            > cashed the check, have cash in had, and I am ready to go to my
            > mechanic. Here is where the question comes in.. Is it fair to get
            > any other issues repaired and inspected that may have resulted from
            > the "fenderbender", but I can not prove positively were caused by
            > the "fenderbender", i.e alignment issues, tire balancing and/or
            > rotation, getting your mechanic to inspect the car for other
            > problems that it may have as a result of the "fenderbender"?

            > Folks, I am "mecahnically challenged" when it comes to
            > automobiles, so excuse me if I made some sort of "stupid statement
            > or implication". I am a pretty safe driver, I have never had a wreck
            > in which I was the one driving the vehicle (although I have been in
            > a few where someone else was driving). So, this is a farily new
            > situation for me.

            > But, I guess the question is, what is fair? Or, how far is too
            > far? I want my car back EXACTLY like it was before
            > the "fenderbender" and I feel like I should not have to pay one red
            > cent for getting it back that way, no matter how minimal the damage
            > is, since the "fenderbender" was absolutely not even one percent
            > (1%) my fault. The lady that backed into me seems to be a really
            > nice lady, very responsible, and was totally beside herself for
            > doing it. So, I want to make sure that I am fair to her also.

            > Please, give me some guidance here. I want to be fair, and I do
            > NOT want to take advantage of the situation. So, tell me what I
            > should expect, and what I should not expect here.

            > Thnak you all for your time. Have a nice day.

            > Rick.

            > RMRI, Inc.
            > "Columbia's Premier Investigation Agency"
            > 2101 W. Broadway PMB 326, Columbia, MO. 65203

            > OFFICE: 607 N. Providence, Columbia, MO. 65203
            >
            > Phone: (636) 410-0251
            > EMERGENCY TOLL FREE LINE: (888) 571-0958
            > Fax 1: (636) 410-0257
            > Fax 2: (314) 754-8483
            >
            > Website: http://www.rmri.net

            > href="mailto:infoguys-list-subscribe@yahoogroups.com">infoguys-list-subscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br/>
            > To unsubscribe, send a message to <a
            > href="mailto:infoguys-list-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com">infoguys-list-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br/>
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            What Bill said...

            Bill... thank for saving me a LOT if typing .... would it be okay if
            I just thought out my answers in detail and continued to let you
            channel them?

            --
            Respectfully,

            Ryugen C Fisher
            PCG-Investigations
            http://www.pcg-investigations.com
            -Serving our clients since 1984-

            mailto:mycroft@...

            6:16:50 PM Sunday, January 29, 2006
          • oracleintl@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
              In a message dated 1/29/2006 7:28:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              mycroft@... writes:

              Bill... thank for saving me a LOT if typing .... would it be okay if
              I just thought out my answers in detail and continued to let you
              channel them?

              Sure. Absolutely . . . I'll send you a bill.

              ; )

              Bill

            • Vicki Siedow
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
                And all with two fingers! He's AMAZING! :)

                Vicki Siedow
                Siedow & Associates Investigations
                & Legal Support Services
                2629 Foothill Blvd. #262
                La Crescenta, CA 91214
                Los Angeles County
                CA PI License # 22852
                800.448.6431 toll free
                818.242.0130 local
                818.688.3295 fax
                http://Siedow.LawAndOrder.com
                Siedow@...
                Member NCISS, IWWA

                Need economical legal help?
                Concerned about Identity Theft?

                What Bill said...

                Bill... thank for saving me a LOT if typing .... would it be okay if
                I just thought out my answers in detail and continued to let you
                channel them?

                --
                Respectfully,

                Ryugen C Fisher
                PCG-Investigations
                http://www.pcg-investigations.com
                -Serving our clients since 1984-
              • IanC
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
                  On a surveillance I've actually, purposely,, driven into another vehicle so
                  that the owner will give me their full details. (LOL,, thinking outside the
                  box here).

                  In regards to your question,,
                  Nobody,, unless they have something to hide,, will give you a cheque aiming
                  to avoid an insurance company involvement.

                  If the cheque was good,, cashed,, - I think you accepted in good faith and
                  should keep the money. All of it.

                  If your Veh repairs cost more that's your loss,, as you should have reported
                  it to your insurance company to start with and not have accepted the cheque
                  - & now suck up your loss as a bad mistake. Your fooked.

                  Either way...
                  Don't abandon your vehicle on a blind corner and in the middle of Route 66
                  next time.

                  :-)

                  Best Regards - IanC
                  Forensics@...
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Data Recovery/Computer Forensics
                  http://www.TracingEmails.com
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Director & Team Member/MissingKIN
                  Dedicated to locating Missing & Abducted Children.
                  http://www.MissingKIN.com
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                • Peg Daniels
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 30, 2006
                    --- IanC <groupsyahoodotcom@...> wrote:

                    > On a surveillance I've actually, purposely,, driven
                    > into another vehicle so
                    > that the owner will give me their full details.
                    > (LOL,, thinking outside the
                    > box here).

                    Here's a naive question: doesn't that mean you had to
                    give them YOUR full details too?

                    Dr. Peg Daniels

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • IanC
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 30, 2006
                      > --- IanC <groupsyahoodotcom@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > On a surveillance I've actually, purposely,, driven into another
                      > > vehicle so that the owner will give me their full details.
                      > > (LOL,, thinking outside the
                      > > box here).
                      >
                      > Here's a naive question: doesn't that mean you had to give
                      > them YOUR full details too?
                      >
                      > Dr. Peg Daniels

                      I gave them yours :-)
                    • Peg Daniels
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 30, 2006
                        --- IanC <groupsyahoodotcom@...> wrote:

                        > > --- IanC <groupsyahoodotcom@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > On a surveillance I've actually, purposely,,
                        > driven into another
                        > > > vehicle so that the owner will give me their
                        > full details.
                        > > > (LOL,, thinking outside the
                        > > > box here).
                        > >
                        > > Here's a naive question: doesn't that mean you had
                        > to give
                        > > them YOUR full details too?
                        > >
                        > > Dr. Peg Daniels
                        >

                        > I gave them yours :-)

                        That's what I figured. NOW I know what the heck my
                        insurance company was talking about ;-)

                        Peg

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Ryugen C Fisher
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 30, 2006
                          Hello IanC,

                          Monday, January 30, 2006, 10:50:34 AM, you wrote:

                          >> --- IanC <groupsyahoodotcom@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> > On a surveillance I've actually, purposely,, driven into another
                          >> > vehicle so that the owner will give me their full details.
                          >> > (LOL,, thinking outside the
                          >> > box here).
                          >>
                          >> Here's a naive question: doesn't that mean you had to give
                          >> them YOUR full details too?
                          >>
                          >> Dr. Peg Daniels

                          > I gave them yours :-)

                          That actually makes sense.... and as long as there is no attempt to
                          commit fraud or not pay the damages accrued, it could be legal, mostly
                          ;-)

                          10:15:24 PM Monday, January 30, 2006
                        • IanC
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                            > Hello IanC,
                            >
                            > Monday, January 30, 2006, 10:50:34 AM, you wrote:

                            > >> Here's a naive question: doesn't that mean you had to give
                            > them YOUR
                            > >> full details too?
                            > >>
                            > >> Dr. Peg Daniels
                            >

                            > > I gave them yours :-)
                            >

                            > That actually makes sense.... and as long as there is no
                            > attempt to commit fraud or not pay the damages accrued, it
                            > could be legal, mostly
                            > ;-)
                            > Ryugen C Fisher

                            In the right situation at the right time it is surprising how many people
                            say 'there's no damage' but with you insisting upon paying they give their
                            full details. (Maybe they are not insured,, maybe they are drunk,, maybe
                            they just want to 'f' you off..) But if you persevere with them they will
                            not,, cannot (legally),,, leave the scene of the accident - however minor).

                            You need to know what the hell your doing of course! And what I've done/do,,
                            and will do again, is no recommendations for others to do!!!

                            There's easier ways to ID people too. (I just do something's quick so maybe
                            consider Investigative hours adding up doing it properly rather than listen
                            to me).

                            ~~~~
                            I mentioned the above as a joke.
                            And don't try it in Arabia as they have guns or in Paris for that matter as
                            their driving stinks & they don't care! Or where I live as I will be
                            slightly angry if you hit me. Or too the wife's vehicle as she is vicious.
                            Or the Ex's for that matter. Or any of my mates of course. Or,, Or,, Or...

                            Anyway,,, Hope Rick got his car fixed

                            IanC

                            Forensics@...