I have a question.....

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2006
      To all,

      I was reading an article in the newspaper the other night about
      a fraud case here in Columbia, MO. In this article the term "Standby
      Letter of Credit" was mentioned. I asked an associate of mine (the
      only person I actually go to; if I have a questions about anything
      that pertains to fraud cases and such), my associate was kind enough
      to explain to me what was meant by a "Standby Letter of Credit". The
      explanation sounded to me like what I have heard used to explain a
      simple Letter of Credit from a person's bank.

      Is there a difference between a "Standby Letter of Credit" and
      a "Letter of Credit"? If so, would someone please be kind enough to
      explain it to me?

      Thank you in advance.

      Rick.
    • Bob Hrodey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2006
        on 1/13/2006 8:50 AM Ricky Gurley said the following:

        > To all,
        >
        > I was reading an article in the newspaper the other night about
        > a fraud case here in Columbia, MO. In this article the term "Standby
        > Letter of Credit" was mentioned. I asked an associate of mine (the
        > only person I actually go to; if I have a questions about anything
        > that pertains to fraud cases and such), my associate was kind enough
        > to explain to me what was meant by a "Standby Letter of Credit". The
        > explanation sounded to me like what I have heard used to explain a
        > simple Letter of Credit from a person's bank.
        >
        > Is there a difference between a "Standby Letter of Credit" and
        > a "Letter of Credit"? If so, would someone please be kind enough to
        > explain it to me?

        A "Standby Letter of Credit" is revocable. One of the definitions is of
        standby letter of credit is "a stipulation that states a letter of
        credit will be called back if the payer defaults."

        A "Standing Letter of Credit" is preferable in that, typically, it is
        irrevocable.

        Do a Google search on both terms and you'll see enough examples to get a
        feel for what they mean.

        Don't, however, neglect to consider that the newspaper reporter screwed
        up and MEANT to say "Standing Letter of Credit" - world of difference
        and it's not like they (the media) never make a mistrake<g>

        --
        Enjoy,

        Bob
        Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
        email: inquiry@... or rth@...
        Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
      • Bob Hrodey
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2006
          on 1/13/2006 8:50 AM Ricky Gurley said the following:

          > To all,
          >
          > I was reading an article in the newspaper the other night about
          > a fraud case here in Columbia, MO. In this article the term "Standby
          > Letter of Credit" was mentioned. I asked an associate of mine (the
          > only person I actually go to; if I have a questions about anything
          > that pertains to fraud cases and such), my associate was kind enough
          > to explain to me what was meant by a "Standby Letter of Credit". The
          > explanation sounded to me like what I have heard used to explain a
          > simple Letter of Credit from a person's bank.
          >
          > Is there a difference between a "Standby Letter of Credit" and
          > a "Letter of Credit"? If so, would someone please be kind enough to
          > explain it to me?

          Here's a better definition:

          *Standby Letter of Credit*
          The standby letter of credit serves a different function than the
          commercial letter of credit. The commercial letter of credit is the
          primary payment mechanism for a transaction. The standby letter of
          credit serves as a secondary payment mechanism. A bank will issue a
          standby letter of credit on behalf of a customer to provide assurances
          of his ability to perform under the terms of a contract between the
          beneficiary. The parties involved with the transaction do not expect
          that the letter of credit will ever be drawn upon.

          The standby letter of credit assures the beneficiary of the performance
          of the customer's obligation. The beneficiary is able to draw under the
          credit by presenting a draft, copies of invoices, with evidence that the
          customer has not performed its obligation. The bank is obligated to make
          payment if the documents presented comply with the terms of the letter
          of credit.

          Standby letters of credit are issued by banks to stand behind monetary
          obligations, to insure the refund of advance payment, to support
          performance and bid obligations, and to insure the completion of a sales
          contract. The credit has an expiration date.

          The standby letter of credit is often used to guarantee performance or
          to strengthen the credit worthiness of a customer. In the above example,
          the letter of credit is issued by the bank and held by the supplier. The
          customer is provided open account terms. If payments are made in
          accordance with the suppliers' terms, the letter of credit would not be
          drawn on. The seller pursues the customer for payment directly. If the
          customer is unable to pay, the seller presents a draft and copies of
          invoices to the bank for payment.

          The domestic standby letter of credit is governed by the Uniform
          Commercial Code. Under these provisions, the bank is given until the
          close of the third banking day after receipt of the documents to honor
          the draft.

          More terms defined at:

          http://www.crfonline.org/orc/cro/cro-9-1.html