I hate to change such a good subject but.

  • Leif
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
      Does anyone have a list of the 50 states recording laws? Phone
      recording laws to be specific. I can find a list of which states are 1
      or 2 party consent and some links to vague information. I want a list
      by state of the actual statute numbers (chapter and verse). Even if
      you just know a few states or just your own. I would appreciate a link
      or a number. I will be using the info to create a database for my
      customers to use as a reference before purchasing equipment.
      Thanks
      Leif "Krang"
    • Michael Prem
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
        Check this out for recording laws.

        http://www.thepidirectory.com/taping.html

        Michael J. Prem
        Data Byte Recovery & Investigations
        P.O. Box Three, Broussard, LA 70518
        LA PI 3205-040497-LA
        337/654-2057 cell
        877/373-7087 fax and voice mail
        www.databyterecovery.com

        __________________________________
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
          Leif -

          Go here and you will find them all -

          _http://www.rcfp.org/taping/_ (http://www.rcfp.org/taping/)

          Alabama

          Ala. Code § 13A-11-30, -31: Unlawful eavesdropping is defined as the
          overhearing or recording of the contents of a private communication without the
          consent of at least one person engaged in the communication. The statute has been
          interpreted as creating a right to privacy in communications — specifically,
          a right not to have communications overheard, recorded or disclosed without
          consent. Ages Group v. Raytheon Aircraft Co., 22 F. Supp. 2d 1310 (M.D. Ala.
          1998).
          Criminal eavesdropping involves the intentional use of "any device" to
          overhear or record communications, whether the eavesdropper is present or not,
          without one party's consent. Criminal eavesdropping is a misdemeanor. Ala. Code
          § 13A-11-31. Knowingly divulging information obtained through illegal
          eavesdropping is a misdemeanor as well. Ala. Code § 13A-11-35. Misdemeanors in
          Alabama carry a maximum jail sentence of one year. Ala. Code § 13A-1-2.
          While hidden cameras are not expressly addressed, it is a misdemeanor to
          engage in "criminal surveillance," defined as secret observation or photography
          while trespassing on private property. Criminal surveillance does not include
          observation on a public street. Ala. Code § 13A-11-32.
          California
          Cal. Penal Code §§ 631, 632: It is a crime in California to intercept or
          eavesdrop upon any confidential communication, including a telephone call or
          wire communication, without the consent of all parties.
          It is also a crime to disclose information obtained from such an
          interception. A first offense is punishable by a fine of up to $2,500 and imprisonment
          for no more than one year. Subsequent offenses carry a maximum fine of $10,000
          and jail sentence of up to one year.
          Eavesdropping upon or recording a conversation, whether by telephone
          (including cordless or cellular telephone) or in person, that a person would
          reasonably expect to be confined to the parties present, carries the same penalty as
          intercepting telephone or wire communications.
          Conversations occurring at any public gathering that one should expect to be
          overheard, including any legislative, judicial or executive proceeding open
          to the public, are not covered by the law.
          An appellate court has ruled that using a hidden video camera violates the
          statute. California v. Gibbons, 215 Cal. App. 3d 1204 (1989). However, a
          television network that used a hidden camera to videotape a conversation that took
          place at a business lunch meeting on a crowded outdoor patio of a public
          restaurant that did not include "secret" information did not violate the Penal
          Code's prohibition against eavesdropping because it was not a "confidential
          communication." Wilkins v. NBC, Inc., 71 Cal. App. 4th 1066 (1999).
          Anyone injured by a violation of the wiretapping laws can recover civil
          damages of $5,000 or three times actual damages, whichever is greater. Cal. Penal
          Code § 637.2(a). A civil action for invasion of privacy also may be brought
          against the person who committed the violation. Cal. Penal Code § 637.2.

        • Bob Hrodey
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
            on 12/5/2005 4:23 PM Leif said the following:

            > Does anyone have a list of the 50 states recording laws? Phone
            > recording laws to be specific. I can find a list of which states are 1
            > or 2 party consent and some links to vague information. I want a list
            > by state of the actual statute numbers (chapter and verse). Even if
            > you just know a few states or just your own. I would appreciate a link
            > or a number. I will be using the info to create a database for my
            > customers to use as a reference before purchasing equipment.
            > Thanks
            > Leif "Krang"

            Here you go:

            The first two are investigative reporters' sites, dig deep there are
            some really good links. The third is an NAIS "special" but still fairly
            accurate and one of their better ones. Just pay attention to the
            footnotes, if any, and then double check the information

            http://www.poynter.org/resource_center/
            http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html

            http://www.pimall.com/nais/n.tel.tape.law.html

            --
            Enjoy,

            Bob
            Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
            email: inquiry@... or rth@...
            Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
          • Leif
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2005
              Thanks, I think I have enough places to look. All I need now is help
              building a database and entering all the data. ( I dont really need
              help, just lazy)
              Thanks again
              Leif "Krang"