[infoguys-list] Re: Retainers

  • Lee Smallwood
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 1999
      LEE, U R RIGHT!  AS I SAID, BUSINESS FIRST.

      msegroup@... wrote:

      Had a client for years who had the right idea: she never rented property to friends or family or relatives - never loaned money to friends,family or relatives and any business that was conducted with friends,family or relatives was done on a totallybusiness basis (written contracts and all.) The quickest way to lose a friend is to loan them money.  Now, regarding the coffee drinking buddies - having been in business since 1957 (yep, a long time), I have learned that my client was right. You should deal with everyone connected to your business in a business like manner which includes contracts, retainers, and proper billing.  You don't cut prices just because it is the brother-in-law or friend of the wife or a coffee drinking attorney buddy.  If you are a professional, if you value your business reputation and if you want to be considered a professional by your clients and your peers, then run your business as a professional business.  BTW: that also includes what you post on the Internet in mail groups and how you discuss your peers with others, etc., etc.  It is amazing, when you have been on these groups as long as I have, just how many prospective clients read these groups and DO NOT retainsomeone because they did not consider their postings very professional.  We have added many large corporate clients to our business base simply because the previous IB or PI did not handle themselves professionally in their billing, reports,follow-up, returning phone calls, keeping appointments on time, and providingprofessional service.Lee GriggsPTI InvestigationsProtection Technology, Inc.http://www.msegroup.com
      click here
      Click Here!
      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/infoguys-list