My Rant For The Quarter...

  • Ricky Gurley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12 1:25 AM
      To all,

      I have a rant...

      There are certainly some stupid Private Investigators in this
      industry.. More specifically there are certainly some Private
      Investigators in this industry who have no foresight... These Private
      Investigators, and some are not Private Investigators, instead they
      are leaches of the Private Investigation Industry, know who they are..
      But then again, maybe they don't. After all it is hard to convince a
      stupid person that they are actually stupid...

      All stupid Private Investigators and Private Investigator Leaches
      shall remain nameless...

      About a month and a half ago I got into an argument with a
      Private Investigator over whether or not obtaining telephone tolls
      (residential, business, and/or cellular) was legal. I contended then
      and I contend now that this is not illegal, in the sense of it being a
      crime i.e a misdemeanor or a felony. As some of you know I also got
      into an argument over convicted felons being Private Investigators
      also. I am leading up to a contrast here..

      Now, one MORON that I got into an argument with over telephone
      tolls decided he wanted to make a federal case out of the issue, and
      he contacted other morons that wanted to show the world how
      knowledeable they are on privacy laws, so they contacted more morons
      to take up their cause to prove that obtaining telephone tolls is
      illegal. And so this rolled into a small research project conducted by
      morons, for morons, to prove that the morons were not so moronic. Mind
      you that I looked and I looked and I looked, and I could not find a
      single case that had ever been successfully prosecuted for one person
      obtaining another person's telephone toll information. Then I also did
      some research and found that this issue was not really considered
      serious enough for the FTC to really investigate or open a case on. I
      checked in Missouri (because this is the state that I reside in, and
      so this is the state statutes that I should be most concerned about)
      and I could not find a criminal violation nowhere in RSMO for one
      person obtaining another person's tolls. So, I am quite satisfied that
      in the rare event that I do obtain a person's toll information, I'd be
      on pretty safe legal ground.

      Well, today I get home from my local courthouse, where I
      occasionally have to be due to my work, and I look on the computer in
      my living room and notice that there is an issue now on the groups
      concerning EPIC filing a formal complaint with the FTC on what? None
      other than the procurement of a person's telephone toll information.
      Now I don't know if anyone has ever taken the time to research EPIC,
      but just let me make a summary statement here and say: "They are not a
      friend to the Private Investigator". So, I can't help but wonder if
      "the moron brigade" may have caused a big enough ruckus to help pave
      the way for this complaint by EPIC to the FTC?

      My problem is really not as much with whether or not this
      activity of obtaining telephone toll records is legal or not; to be
      quite honest... My problem is with Private Investigators going
      outside of the industry FIRST, instead of trying to see if they can
      handle these problems within the industry to begin with. I am of the
      opinion that we are already in the very near future going to lose
      quite a few tools out of our "little investigative tool boxes". Pretty
      soon, thanks to "the moron brigade" we are going to have to
      demonstrate the equivalent of a auto mechanic having to do an engine
      overhaul with an electronics tool kit!

      I am of the opinion that when we take issues such as these
      outside of our industry, we attract negative attention. There are
      literally thousands of privacy advocates out there that would like to
      see us stripped of every tool we have, from databases to bumper
      beepers... And all "the moron brigade" did was give them just a little
      more ammunition. Sometimes it just does not pay to draw attention to
      yourself, but what is worse is a MORON Private Investigator not only
      drawing attention to himself, but also drawing negative attention to
      the industry that he works in, thereby affecting thousands of people
      in that industry in a negative way.

      Now this is actually pretty pitiful. Anytime a Private
      Investigator is stupid enough to affect his profession in such a
      negative way just to be though of as "right", we certainly have not
      only a moron on our hands, but a DANGEROUS MORON on our hands! Now I
      have to admit, looking down the road a bit, when some poor Private
      Investigator comes onto the groups and says "how do I find this or
      that now? I can't get database access any longer, I can't legally
      order telephone tolls any longer, I can't even get someone to reverse
      an email for me because people are afraid that this might be viewed as
      a privacy invasion. What am I to do?" I am going to think it pretty
      funny, and I am going to have to say "thank the moron brigade for
      this". I may even take pleasure in seeing that post, because it seems
      as if very few people are using any foresight when they run off at the
      mouth about what is legal and what is not, and then go as far as to
      try to prove their opinion in the full view of the public. Not
      realizing that the public and the privacy advocates don't care about
      whether or not this person is right or wrong, they care about making
      it hard for ANYONE to get what some consider "private information".
      And yes, that ESPECIALLY includes US!

      I don't mind debating issues like this amongst industry
      colleagues. But I certainly don't want the public knowing my "trade
      secrets", and I especially don't want privacy advocates knowing
      exactly what my capabilities are.

      My message to "the moron brigade" is this: "Go ahead and continue
      to screw the industry with your public opinions, the smart people
      really expect nor more of you, anyway!"

      Ohhh, and by the way, most of "the moron brigade", are not
      convicted felons, but they are doing a smash up job of "hurting" our
      industry, none the less!

      And to all a good day!

      Rick.

      "Columbia's Premiere Private Investigation's Company"

      2101 W. Broadway PMB 326, Columbia, MO. 65203

      Phone: (636) 410-0251

      Fax: (636) 410-0257

      Cell: (573) 529-0808

      EMERGENCY LINE & FAX: (866) 878-7099

      Email: RMRI-Inc@...

      Webpage: http://www.rmri.net/

      Come Join ProEmailTracing

      Learn EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about Cyber Investigations!

      Subscribe at: ProEmailTracing-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      "Oh divine arts of subtlety and secrecy!

      Through you we learn to be unseen. Through

      you we learn to be unheard; and hence we hold

      the fate or our enemies in our hands....."

      Sun Tzu 500 B.C. "The Art Of War"

      It is not the critic who counts,

      not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles,

      or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

      The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the

      arena.... who strives ..... who spends himself and who,

      at the worst, if fails, at least he fails while daring,

      so that his place shall never be with those cold and

      timid souls who knew neither victory or defeat.

      Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
    • Elite Investigations
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12 6:29 AM
        Ricky,
        I feel your pain. The idiots in this industry make it hard for the good ones to effectively do the job. It never ceases to amaze me how the morons get ahead and customers flock to them! My motto is : "Integrity discerns integrity" so if a customer wants a moron for an investigator, then they get what they pay for. When they come crying to me, I am going to up my price because of their stupidity. Plus, the moron probably screwed the case up so bad that I now have to run around "obstacles" the idiot put up. Ya'll catching my drift?
        We've got our share of idiot investigators here in South Carolina, so don't think Missouri is alone.
        I think our best bet is when one of these morons starts acting the fool over something that can truly affect our business (ie: cell phone toll records), we need to tell them right off the bat, "Shut your mouth, idiot!" Personally, I did this about 6 months ago to a "know it all" in our association. Did I make a friend? No, he blocked me off his email. But did I find other friends? Yes! I had emails from other investigators congratulating me. It seems I was not alone in my opinion of this moron. My standing up to the moron further prompted a new (and much needed) by-law in our association that had never been added or considered in the 20 years of the association's history. Hey, if the morons can holler, we can holler back.
        Good job Ricky, YOur rant is well called for! HOller on!
        Tom Slovenski
        Licensed Private Investigator
        Elite Investigations of SC, LLC
        Simpsonville, SC 29680
[...]