RE: [infoguys-list] Re: Training VS Gifted?

  • Paul Curtis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2005
      The question I often ask is this, "If you could do anything you wanted to do
      without regard to obligations, resources, geography or any other external
      force, what would you be doing?" It is one of the ways I use to determine
      what people are passionate about.

      The follow on question is simply, "Why?"

      Another thing that seems to work well is to leave them sitting in a lobby or
      ante room for a few minutes before the interview and then at some point in
      the interview explain that you need to determine how observant they are.
      Ask them to list for you the things they saw while waiting to be
      interviewed. By the way, you better know the answers before you ask the
      questions. If they use the search technique for identifying things they saw
      in the room they are way ahead of the game. If they claim experience as an
      investigator and don't use a method for recalling what they saw you probably
      have your answer. If they have no experience they still need to bring
      powers of observation and recollection with them to the job though their
      experienced investigator.

      If you are given a penny for your thoughts but have to put your two cents
      in, who gets the other penny? :-)

      Paul Curtis

      Costa Mesa, CA

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2005
        You touched on it yourself. It is neither a natural nor a learned skill; it
        is simply a level of awareness. Look at the people around you when you're
        shopping, for instance. Some are simply "not there," zoned out. Others are
        bright and alert. Anyone can be made more or less alert and "in" the
        present time and location. Those that are really "there" will excel at
        investigations, including surveillance. The others can put on an artificial
        appearance, but will never make the grade. Look at the results, not the PR.

        Vicki Siedow
        Siedow & Associates Investigations
        & Legal Support Services
        2629 Foothill Blvd. #262
        La Crescenta, CA 91214
        Los Angeles County
        800.448.6431 toll free
        818.242.0130 local
        818.688.3295 fax
        http://Siedow.LawAndOrder.com
        Siedow@...
        Need economical legal help?
        Concerned about Identity Theft?
        http://AreYouProtectedYet.com
        Member NCISS, IWWA

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2005
          The other way of saying it is,
          "What would you do if you didn't have to work for a
          living?"

          --- Paul Curtis <pncurtis@...> wrote:

          > The question I often ask is this, "If you could do
          > anything you wanted to do
          > without regard to obligations, resources, geography
          > or any other external
          > force, what would you be doing?" It is one of the
          > ways I use to determine
          > what people are passionate about.
          >

          > The follow on question is simply, "Why?"
          >

          > Another thing that seems to work well is to leave
          > them sitting in a lobby or
          > ante room for a few minutes before the interview and
          > then at some point in
          > the interview explain that you need to determine how
          > observant they are.
          > Ask them to list for you the things they saw while
          > waiting to be
          > interviewed. By the way, you better know the
          > answers before you ask the
          > questions. If they use the search technique for
          > identifying things they saw
          > in the room they are way ahead of the game. If they
          > claim experience as an
          > investigator and don't use a method for recalling
          > what they saw you probably
          > have your answer. If they have no experience they
          > still need to bring
          > powers of observation and recollection with them to
          > the job though their
          > they would be with an
          > experienced investigator.
          >

          > If you are given a penny for your thoughts but have
          > to put your two cents
          > in, who gets the other penny? :-)
          >

          > Paul Curtis
          >
          > Costa Mesa, CA
          >

          > _____

          === message truncated ===

          You only get one chance on this merry-go-round.
          But if you do it right, once is enough.

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/