Re: [infoguys-list] Nevada

  • lorraine bennett
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2005
      which part? I have been here 6 months and I miss the snooping-

      Linda Smith <emmylousings@...> wrote:Is there anyone in Nevada who belongs to the infoguys group? If so, I am in need of any kind of available information concerning an approximately fifteen year old homicide case which occurred in Nevada. The case is still open, victim's name: Barbara Nickols. I attempted to access the police files on a certain site, but could not. The victim was found dead of a gunshot wound, in her car, which was parked alongside a road. I cannot give any more information than that, at the moment.

      Thanks,

      Linda

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7, 2005
        Linda -

        I think you might find that if it is still an "open case" that the records
        are not public information. Usually where a case has gone unsolved, it is
        considered "under investigation" making the records not readily available to the
        public.

        818-246-3001 FAX

        thank a military veteran.

        God Bless America forever !!

        In a message dated 7/7/2005 6:06:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        clark_fork_idaho_pi@... writes:

        which part? I have been here 6 months and I miss the snooping-

        Linda Smith <emmylousings@...> wrote:Is there anyone in Nevada who
        belongs to the infoguys group? If so, I am in need of any kind of available
        information concerning an approximately fifteen year old homicide case which
        occurred in Nevada. The case is still open, victim's name: Barbara Nickols. I
        attempted to access the police files on a certain site, but could not. The
        victim was found dead of a gunshot wound, in her car, which was parked alongside a
        road. I cannot give any more information than that, at the moment.

        Thanks,

        Linda

      • National Skiptracer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2005
          Here is my two cents worth!

          First, I am now an attorney nor am I versed in Nevada
          records law, but I can state that here in New York
          State, the NYS "Freedom of Information Law" has been
          tested in the courts and some records (but not all)
          must be released without any showing of need.

          My own experience over more than 3 decades gathering
          records in general has shown me that you can't go
          wrong making a request for records under the state law
          applicable in your case. Likewise, I search out
          court and administrative decisions in both the state
          that I am making the request of as well as all other
          states and the the federal system.

          I ALWAYS APPEAL the denial/constructive denial of any
          record in a timely manner. Here in New York State, I
          have been quite successful in bringing an action to
          compel production Pro Se against the agency and its
          head officials. Here in NY it is called an "Article
          78 proceeding" (pursuant to NYS Civil Practice Law &
          Rules Article 78" which requires the agency and its
          personnel to "show cause" why the court should not
          order production of the requested records.

          When I bring such a proceeding pro se, I have found
          that it perhaps 50% of the cases, the attorney
          representing the respondents (agency & agency
          personnel) end up giving me the records rather than to
          defend what in most cases is a totally frivilous
          defense!

          In the remaining cases, all but one (out of almost
          500) resulted in the court ordering that the subject
          records that the agency didn't want to disclose to be
          produced for an "in camera" (inspection by a judge in
          chambers) which resulted in even more documents being
          disclosed -- sometimes even before the judge inspects
          the records.

          Strangely, as in most situations, if you are working
          on a "hot case" of interest to the general public,
          judges have been inclined to force release of records,
          or, through "leaks" within the court system, somehow
          certain critical information get leaked to someone in
          the news media and then all hell breaks loose!

          I also have been quite successful in getting records
          which are kept on a computer (word processing,
          database, and spreadsheet data) produced in computer
          format (diskettes, CDROM or DVD discs) which help
          discover the key to what I usually need or want.

          Here in NYS, the courts have decided that "the actual
          cost of reproduction" DOES NOT PERMIT a fee of more
          than the actual price of the media (e.g. CDROM, DVD,
          or diskette), the postage to mail the item to the
          requestor if not picked up by the requestor, and the
          price of the box or envelope to mail the item!
          Therefore we are talking at most a mere $2.00 for a
          single media!

          I just got some records from the FAA where they sent
          me a CDROM disc of everything relating to a particular
          helicopter I have been searching for where they
          charged me $25 containing well over 100 pages that I
          would have normally had to pay 25 cents a page plus
          "shipping costs"!

          My advise, follow all the above steps and see what you
          get!

          Peter Schwartz
          VP/General Manager
          National Skiptracer
          PO Box 218
          Esopus NY 12429-0218

          email: nationalskitpracer1@...
          toll free: (866) 754-7872

          web site: http://www.nationalskiptracer.com

          --- suesarkis@... wrote:

          > Linda -
          >
          > I think you might find that if it is still an "open
          > case" that the records
          > are not public information. Usually where a case
          > has gone unsolved, it is
          > considered "under investigation" making the records
          > not readily available to the
          > public.
          >

          > Sincerely yours,
          > Sue
          >

          > Sue Sarkis
          > Sarkis Detective Agency
          > (est. 1976)
          > PI 6564
          > 1346 Ethel Street
          > Glendale, CA 91207-1826
          > 818-242-2505
          > 818-246-3001 FAX
          >
          > If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can
          > read this in English,
          > thank a military veteran.
          >
          > God Bless America forever !!
          >

          > In a message dated 7/7/2005 6:06:16 A.M. Pacific
          > Standard Time,
          > clark_fork_idaho_pi@... writes:
          >
          > which part? I have been here 6 months and I miss
          > the snooping-
          >
          > Linda Smith <emmylousings@...> wrote:Is there
          > anyone in Nevada who
          > belongs to the infoguys group? If so, I am in need
          > of any kind of available
          > information concerning an approximately fifteen
          > year old homicide case which
          > occurred in Nevada. The case is still open,
          > victim's name: Barbara Nickols. I
          > attempted to access the police files on a certain
          > site, but could not. The
          > victim was found dead of a gunshot wound, in her
          > car, which was parked alongside a
          > road. I cannot give any more information than that,
          > at the moment.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Linda

          > removed]