MESSAGE FROM NCISS PRESIDENT BRIAN MCGUINNESS

  • Ekeholm and Associates, LLC
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2005
      A MESSAGE FROM NCISS PRESIDENT BRIAN MCGUINNESS

      Investigators: It is crunch time for our profession. ~
      PERMISSION TO
      REPOST ~

      S. 1332, The Personal Data Privacy and Security Act of
      2005 will be heard and
      discussed in Washington before the next Senate
      Judiciary Committee meeting on
      Thursday July 14th, the same day as our NCISS Hit the
      Hill campaign. Right now
      there is no exemption for PIs to access SSNs. In
      additional there are several
      other bills that are threats. Even though the
      Judiciary committee members will
      likely not be available in the morning of July 15th,
      possibly they will in the
      afternoon. But there are all the other members of
      Congress that will vote on
      the final bill and we need to educate them as to why
      we need access.

      WE NEED YOU TO COME TO WASHINGTON DC for our Hit the
      Hill campaign to meet with
      members of Congress or their legislative staff. It is
      fairly easy to set up
      appointment. We will also give you a half hour primer
      from our lobbyist in the
      morning when we all meet and will provide you
      handouts. July 14th is the date,
      if you have some frequent flyer miles, use them and
      stay over in Washington one
      night and it will not be that much out of your pocket
      and an investment in your
      future.

      It is sad really that each year we have the same
      people doing the work, we call
      them the "dirty thirty". Typically we may have 30-40
      people show up when there
      are 50,000 investigators in the U.S.

      Now that there is going to be a vacancy on the U.S.
      Supreme Court you will hear
      a lot of political rhetoric from members of the Senate
      Committee on the
      Judiciary as well as from other members of Congress.
      But remember, they still
      have S. 1332 awaiting their votes and if we are not
      there to let them know of
      our concern this piece of legislation or one equally
      as bad will be pushed
      through.

      When a bill is passed in the next few months with or
      without language that
      protects our access, it is going to have a lot to do
      with how many in the
      profession cared enough to get really involved in this
      fight. Forget about
      Choicepoint and the data providers right now, the real
      issue is threatening
      legislation. Are you going to sit back and let it
      happen?

      Many say they are too busy...I am busy also running an
      agency with clients built
      up over twenty years and I may lose money but I like
      to fight for the tools of
      my trade. Hopefully many of you do also and will show
      up in D.C. too.

      Please go to our website www.nciss.org and look on the
      right side for the link
      for more information under "NCISS Identity Theft
      Seminar". You are welcome to
      attend the all day seminar on Friday July 15th for
      free. Police are often
      reluctant to take on identity theft cases because of
      jurisdictional issues; we
      are trying to educate politicians in Washington DC
      that often private
      investigators are called upon by victims to
      investigate identity theft and we
      therefore must have access to personal identifiers.

      I'd be happy to discuss (email preferably to
      BPM1@... ) with anyone
      who is thinking of going but feels uneasy about
      speaking to Congressional staff
      or feels they don't know enough about the issue. You
      know the issue which is how
      you use personal identifiers like SSNs everyday to
      assist you in investigations.
      I can assure you it in not difficult and most of the
      time you are speaking with
      a young staffer who relays the info to his/her boss.
      Typically you visit an
      office for less than 15 minutes but that visit can be
      crucial.

      WE NEED NUMBERS IN WASHINGTON TO SWAY MEMBERS OF
      CONGRESS.

      It's time to get involved or be left behind.

      Brian P. McGuinness, President
      NCISS - National Council of Investigation and Security
      Services

      P.S. If you can not come to Washington won't you
      please help us continue our
      fight ? We will need more funds in our Legislative
      Committee war chest. Checks
      may be made payable to NCISS Legislative Fund and
      mailed to NCISS at 7501
      Sparrows Point Blvd., Baltimore, MD 21219.

      Yahoo! Sports
      http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com