Re: [infoguys-list] Digest Number 1434

  • Jurydoctor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2005
      In a message dated 5/31/2005 5:59:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com writes:
      Why jury consultants are increasingly important

      You are saying, are you not, that they won because the jury consultant
      manipulated the jury pool, and in effect stacked the jury. You are
      also arguing, are you not, that this is not a good thing, and the
      other side thus needs a jury consultant to stack the jury in their
      favor. So do the two stacking attempts then cancel themselves out?

      You refer to the "winning side," as if that is the goal here. I
      thought justice was supposed to be the goal. Or if you win, does that
      automatically mean you got justice? Or is perhaps HOW you win a
      factor in obtaining justice?

      Does the jury consultant on one side wear a black hat, so the jury
      consultant on the other side then has a duty to wear a white hat and
      straighten everything out? I hardly think the attorneys involved are
      using consultants to that end, and it would be disingenuous of you to
      imply otherwise.

      But of course I don't expect an answer to any of these questions
      because justice was never what jury consulting was about from the
      beginning, and thus it's not what you are about.

      Lex Silvia
    • romulusredux
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2005
        I read the article, and your response in no way answers the questions
        I posed. If PIs did nothing but work for jury consultants, I'd
        question their profession's contribution to the search for justice as
        well. And to the extent that they DO work for jcs, as well as for the
        OJ Simpsons and Michael Jacksons of this world, not to mention mob
        lawyers and other such slime, I question their contribution to the
        greater good as well.

        So are you then saying that since PIs work for your sort, and since
        this is in a sense their forum, no-one here is in a position to
        question what you do, or to argue that your goals have little or
        nothing to do with justice?

        You are clearly ducking the larger questions involved here, and it's
        either because you see no adequate way to answer them, or because what
        you do causes you to wear the sort of blinders that prevent you from
        examining these questions at all.

        Perhaps I should present a hypothetical question that will reflect
        some of the issues here in a way you (and the attorneys you work for)
        can better relate to:

        In a debating forum where lying is permitted under the rules, and the
        participants are drawn from a pool of trained liars, how likely is it
        that the best liar will win each debate? Does that likelihood then
        increase in proportion to the gullibility of the panel members chosen
        to hear and decide the winner?

        And would you want such a system used in any situation where your
        future wellfare depends on the outcome of such a debate?

        Lex