$43M Verdict: Lincoln Town Car Design Defect, Product Liability, Wrongful Death

  • heptinstallconsulting
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2005
      Dear List:

      You may be interested in this case report:

      Case: Jablonski v Ford Motor Company, No. 03-L-2027
      Venue: Madison County Circuit Court, IL
      Date: 04-19-2005

      This is a case where the decedent and his wife were in a Lincoln Town
      Car that was struck from behind at a high rate of speed. The impact
      jostled a pipe wrench in the trunk which then punctured the trunk's
      wall and adjoining fuel tank.

      The Jablonski's were severely burned when the fuel ignited and the
      Town Car was engulfed in flames. Mr. Jablonski's burns were fatal.

      Plaintiff's attorneys proved that Ford was aware that the position of
      the gas tank was dangerous. It was the same position as the Crown
      Victoria police vehicles that had been in hundreds of fuel tank
      explosions from high speed rear end collisions. Ford warned owners
      of the Crown Victoria line, but failed to warn similarly designed
      Town Cars and the Mercury Grand Marquis.

      The jury found that the Town Car was defectively designed. The
      plaintiffs were awarded
      $43,167,715., of which, $15,000,000. was for punitive exemplary
      damages.

      Tamara Heptinstall RN, CLNC
      Heptinstall Medical-Legal Consulting

      (No Charge for initial consultations, call us for
      any health, injury, or medical related issues)

      www.HeptinstallConsulting.com

      850-248-6162 (ph/fax)

      Offering Strategies for Your Success!
    • Bob Hrodey
      Message 2 of 2 , May 20, 2005
        on 5/20/2005 1:26 PM heptinstallconsulting said the following:

        > Dear List:
        >
        > You may be interested in this case report:
        >
        > Case: Jablonski v Ford Motor Company, No. 03-L-2027
        > Venue: Madison County Circuit Court, IL
        > Date: 04-19-2005

        I'm always interested in a verdict report out of Madison County. They
        are so funny it really brightens the end of the week.

        While I sympathize with the loss of Mr. Jablonski and his wife's obvious
        physical and mental pain, I wonder if this judgment will withstand
        review by the appellate court. Not a few fall short once the appellate
        court gets hold of them.

        If you were 55 years of age and suddenly lost control and killed your
        co-workers over being fired for running through the plant naked as a
        jay-bird, this county, MADison (emphasis on MAD) County, IL is where the
        survivors and next of kin of your victims would want to bring their
        lawsuit against your mother's obstetrician for failing to detect your
        violent propensities during the ten seconds he held you in his hands as
        your mom gave birth and you know what? They would probably win a
        handsome judgment in MADison county.

        If it's true that a prosecutor could get a Grand Jury to indict a ham
        sandwich, a half way decent plaintiff's attorney could get a judgment
        against the MAKER of that ham sandwich simply because he put the wrong
        kind of cheese on it. At least he could in MADison county.

        > This is a case where the decedent and his wife were in a Lincoln Town
        > Car that was struck from behind at a high rate of speed. The impact
        > jostled a pipe wrench in the trunk which then punctured the trunk's
        > wall and adjoining fuel tank.

        And if Jablonski had been carrying buckets of gasoline and smoldering
        rags in the trunk of that car, driving without lights at the time he was
        rear-ended, that same jury probably would have come back with even
        HIGHER damages because Ford Motor Company didn't have warnings against
        the practice in the owners manual and trunk lid.

        Any similarity to real life, common sense, and equality found in MADison
        county is purely coincidental.

        --
        Enjoy,

        Bob
        Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
        email: inquiry@... or rth@...
        Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063