Nevada

  • Linda Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , May 17, 2005
      Is there anyone in Nevada who belongs to the infoguys group? If so, I am in need of any kind of available information concerning an approximately fifteen year old homicide case which occurred in Nevada. The case is still open, victim's name: Barbara Nickols. I attempted to access the police files on a certain site, but could not. The victim was found dead of a gunshot wound, in her car, which was parked alongside a road. I cannot give any more information than that, at the moment.

      Thanks,

      Linda

      Message 2 of 8 , May 17, 2005
        Linda -

        Are you working a NV case?

        Usually it is hard to get info on a "cold case" since they are still ongoing
        investigations. Ongoing investigations are usually NOT available to the
        public since they are still considered "confidential". Unless, and of course,
        they either need or want your help; then they will get diarrhea of the mouth.

        Glendale, CA 91207
        818-242-2505

        If you can read this email, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English,
        thank a vet.

        God Bless America and her allies !

      • Linda Smith

          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2005
            In a message dated 5/17/2005 12:58:34 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            emmylousings@... writes:

            Hi Sue,
            Yes, it is Nevada, but they had enlisted the help of the Roswell, New Mexico
            Police Department, and one of the Roswell detectives asked for my help.
            Linda

            Linda -

            Forgive my skepticism but I must be mistaken about something. Are you
            telling me that a law enforcement detective from a New Mexico Police Department
            has asked the assistance of a person who knows absolutely nothing about
            investigations with no practical experience whatsoever and NO license to handle a
            "cold case"? Why, pray tell, would they do that?

            How much are they paying you? How did they find out about you?

            My curiosity is killing me.

            Glendale, CA 91207
            818-242-2505

            If you can read this email, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English,
            thank a vet.

            God Bless America and her allies !

          • lorraine bennett
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6 8:15 PM
              which part? I have been here 6 months and I miss the snooping-

              Linda Smith <emmylousings@...> wrote:Is there anyone in Nevada who belongs to the infoguys group? If so, I am in need of any kind of available information concerning an approximately fifteen year old homicide case which occurred in Nevada. The case is still open, victim's name: Barbara Nickols. I attempted to access the police files on a certain site, but could not. The victim was found dead of a gunshot wound, in her car, which was parked alongside a road. I cannot give any more information than that, at the moment.

              Thanks,

              Linda

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7 8:40 AM
                Linda -

                I think you might find that if it is still an "open case" that the records
                are not public information. Usually where a case has gone unsolved, it is
                considered "under investigation" making the records not readily available to the
                public.

                818-246-3001 FAX

                thank a military veteran.

                God Bless America forever !!

                In a message dated 7/7/2005 6:06:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                clark_fork_idaho_pi@... writes:

                which part? I have been here 6 months and I miss the snooping-

                Linda Smith <emmylousings@...> wrote:Is there anyone in Nevada who
                belongs to the infoguys group? If so, I am in need of any kind of available
                information concerning an approximately fifteen year old homicide case which
                occurred in Nevada. The case is still open, victim's name: Barbara Nickols. I
                attempted to access the police files on a certain site, but could not. The
                victim was found dead of a gunshot wound, in her car, which was parked alongside a
                road. I cannot give any more information than that, at the moment.

                Thanks,

                Linda

              • National Skiptracer
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 8 5:44 AM
                  Here is my two cents worth!

                  First, I am now an attorney nor am I versed in Nevada
                  records law, but I can state that here in New York
                  State, the NYS "Freedom of Information Law" has been
                  tested in the courts and some records (but not all)
                  must be released without any showing of need.

                  My own experience over more than 3 decades gathering
                  records in general has shown me that you can't go
                  wrong making a request for records under the state law
                  applicable in your case. Likewise, I search out
                  court and administrative decisions in both the state
                  that I am making the request of as well as all other
                  states and the the federal system.

                  I ALWAYS APPEAL the denial/constructive denial of any
                  record in a timely manner. Here in New York State, I
                  have been quite successful in bringing an action to
                  compel production Pro Se against the agency and its
                  head officials. Here in NY it is called an "Article
                  78 proceeding" (pursuant to NYS Civil Practice Law &
                  Rules Article 78" which requires the agency and its
                  personnel to "show cause" why the court should not
                  order production of the requested records.

                  When I bring such a proceeding pro se, I have found
                  that it perhaps 50% of the cases, the attorney
                  representing the respondents (agency & agency
                  personnel) end up giving me the records rather than to
                  defend what in most cases is a totally frivilous
                  defense!

                  In the remaining cases, all but one (out of almost
                  500) resulted in the court ordering that the subject
                  records that the agency didn't want to disclose to be
                  produced for an "in camera" (inspection by a judge in
                  chambers) which resulted in even more documents being
                  disclosed -- sometimes even before the judge inspects
                  the records.

                  Strangely, as in most situations, if you are working
                  on a "hot case" of interest to the general public,
                  judges have been inclined to force release of records,
                  or, through "leaks" within the court system, somehow
                  certain critical information get leaked to someone in
                  the news media and then all hell breaks loose!

                  I also have been quite successful in getting records
                  which are kept on a computer (word processing,
                  database, and spreadsheet data) produced in computer
                  format (diskettes, CDROM or DVD discs) which help
                  discover the key to what I usually need or want.

                  Here in NYS, the courts have decided that "the actual
                  cost of reproduction" DOES NOT PERMIT a fee of more
                  than the actual price of the media (e.g. CDROM, DVD,
                  or diskette), the postage to mail the item to the
                  requestor if not picked up by the requestor, and the
                  price of the box or envelope to mail the item!
                  Therefore we are talking at most a mere $2.00 for a
                  single media!

                  I just got some records from the FAA where they sent
                  me a CDROM disc of everything relating to a particular
                  helicopter I have been searching for where they
                  charged me $25 containing well over 100 pages that I
                  would have normally had to pay 25 cents a page plus
                  "shipping costs"!

                  My advise, follow all the above steps and see what you
                  get!

                  Peter Schwartz
                  VP/General Manager
                  National Skiptracer
                  PO Box 218
                  Esopus NY 12429-0218

                  email: nationalskitpracer1@...
                  toll free: (866) 754-7872

                  web site: http://www.nationalskiptracer.com

                  --- suesarkis@... wrote:

                  > Linda -
                  >
                  > I think you might find that if it is still an "open
                  > case" that the records
                  > are not public information. Usually where a case
                  > has gone unsolved, it is
                  > considered "under investigation" making the records
                  > not readily available to the
                  > public.
                  >

                  > Sincerely yours,
                  > Sue
                  >

                  > Sue Sarkis
                  > Sarkis Detective Agency
                  > (est. 1976)
                  > PI 6564
                  > 1346 Ethel Street
                  > Glendale, CA 91207-1826
                  > 818-242-2505
                  > 818-246-3001 FAX
                  >
                  > If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can
                  > read this in English,
                  > thank a military veteran.
                  >
                  > God Bless America forever !!
                  >

                  > In a message dated 7/7/2005 6:06:16 A.M. Pacific
                  > Standard Time,
                  > clark_fork_idaho_pi@... writes:
                  >
                  > which part? I have been here 6 months and I miss
                  > the snooping-
                  >
                  > Linda Smith <emmylousings@...> wrote:Is there
                  > anyone in Nevada who
                  > belongs to the infoguys group? If so, I am in need
                  > of any kind of available
                  > information concerning an approximately fifteen
                  > year old homicide case which
                  > occurred in Nevada. The case is still open,
                  > victim's name: Barbara Nickols. I
                  > attempted to access the police files on a certain
                  > site, but could not. The
                  > victim was found dead of a gunshot wound, in her
                  > car, which was parked alongside a
                  > road. I cannot give any more information than that,
                  > at the moment.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Linda

                  > removed]