answer: requesting advice

  • Ettisch-EnchelmaierGmbH2@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2005
      Hi!

      What already said is excellent.

      Like in school you learn things you THINK you do not need, but
      later you realize that you will do much of it and the rest is
      a good training.

      I used the skills I learnt at university to search for information
      and the languages I learnt mostly in school and improved later to
      build and use my (international) market niche for investigations,
      recently I could use my investigative skills and put them into an
      academic frame by compiling an MSc thesis (already published and
      accepted by the examiners)

      Furthermore you forget that you are a woman. It is alas still a fact
      that women have a harder life especially in this profession as an owner
      not so much as an employee even for undercover work.

      Furthermore surveillance is quite dangerous for a female and should
      therefore not be the sole focus.

      Since you do not want to relocate, perhaps you could do half the time
      with one agency and the rest with the other, in both cases asking also
      to do surveillance when times is ripe, i.e. when you are enough trained.
      You will see how much it help you at the end.

      Good luck from Germany
      (Mrs.) M. Ettisch-Enchelmaier, B.A., President, CEO
      Ettisch-Enchelmaier GmbH SINCE 19-SEVENTY-TWO
      Bodelschwinghstr. 9/67246 Dirmstein/Germany
      Tel. (+49 6238)989 098, Fax. (+49 6238)989099 + (+49 6238)1313
      Author of a PI book: http://www.pimall.com/nais/successfulpi.html
      http://ettisch.euro-detectives.org ISBN: 1-891247-59-X
    • Linda Smith

          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2005
            Linda,

            This is the way I got into the business:

            After 10 years in the newspaper business, I relocated to get out of
            the city with my newborn son and to improve my college degree. I
            moved to an area without many options.

            One day, while looking for a job, I noticed the five or six small
            investigative agencies in the phone book and started calling. Two
            never returned my call, two said they didn't need invetigative
            trainees and the fifth said, "Come on down and we'll talk."

            I got all gussied up, went on down and was scheduled to be the second
            man on a surveillance an hour later. I made a "training wage" of $8
            an hour and, because the agency was state-wide, I ended up driving
            five hours to work as a second investigator on a two-man case.

            Since then I worked for that company part time, then full time for a
            year, then jumped with my boss to a new company where I worked for
            nearly five years before jumping to a new company with a co-worker.
            We do primarily work comp insurance surveillance and investigations,
            with a mix of domestics, disability claims, insurance claims
            investigations, process service, video depositions and anything else
            the legal community wants.

            In my experience, there are a lot of people who want to try
            investigations but not a lot of them who are good at it. And you will
            only know if you're good at it by doing it, not by taking any type of
            class.

            Surveillance itself takes a bizarre mix of talents, from being able
            to drive effortlessly and quickly to being able to sit in a hot (or
            freezing cold if you live where I do) minivan for hours on end. You
            have to be able to operate video equipment quickly and effectively,
            do good interviews and be willing to stick your neck out often.

            If someone honestly presented themselves as a potential employee, we
            would give them a try, and 95 percent of the time - after one day -
            the potential employee would say, "This isn't for me." The rest of
            the time we ended up using a willing candidate as a second man on two-
            man surveillances until they either up and quit or they were
            qualified to solo.

            So, if you came to me I would say, let's give it a try. I end up with
            an inexpensive investigator for a few days and might find someone who
            can go full time someday.

            I don't know where you live, but I've never heard another
            investigator say they have too many qualified investigative
            candidates beating down their doors. It might take some time and
            persistence, but I'm sure one of the local agencies would give you a
            try sooner or later.

            You also have a huge advantage: Investigative agencies would love to
            have capable and stable women working for them. But there just aren't
            enough women truly interested in this profession to fill all the
            slots.

            There are huge advantages with women investigators compared to men.
            Men literally have to work to be trusted by strangers whereas most
            women earn immediate trust. And people are just less suspicious of
            women than men.

            As to all the other postings on this subject, Bill is right. Your
            initial presentation provided no reasonable answer - and that will
            turn off someone doing hiring faster than a light switch.

            Agency owners want relatively stable and trustworthy individuals
            doing their work. There are big legal and financial obligations and
            risks involved in this kind of work.

            So, Linda, do what has to get done: Get gussied up, go beat on some
            doors. Look outside your hometown. There have to be more than two
            agencies within a 200-mile radius.

            Go on monster.com and careerbuilder. Look for PI openings and apply.

            Sitting here and pissing and moaning about Bill's pissing and moaning
            won't get you a job. And that's what you need to do: Go look for a
            job.

            And don't be surprised if you hate it and never want to do it again.
            But at least you will have tried.

            Jim Lyons
            Superior Research Services
            Marquette, MI