Re: [infoguys-list] psych

  • Linda Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2005
      I left the post concerning the fact that some medical personell should be trained in some type of security. Actually this is not unheard of. Medical personell which works with the developmentally disabled are required to take a certain course which teaches them how to restrain a patient which is out of control, which prevents the patient from hurting himself, or others. This course was mandantory. This type of training would also be mandantory for medical personell which work in a phsyciatric ward, or mental hospital.

      {I transferred from a medical career to investigations}.

      Linda

      suesarkis@... wrote:
      Amy -

      I've stayed out of this one until now. The last post was almost impossible
      to read because the spelling was so atrocious. However, after finally
      figuring it out, I think this attitude is way off base.

      It does not matter what century we are in. The mind is not predictable and
      the patient was obviously a paranoid schizophrenic and they routinely have
      hallucinations. The thought of mandatory security training for an M.D. is just
      outright absurd.

      Psychiatry is not an exact science; many things cannot be foreseen but all
      things should be anticipated and guarded against by the prison. Since a
      psychiatrist cannot work up a good rapport with a patient through windows and
      bars, a face to face is usually not only preferable but necessary. It was the
      prison who held the responsibility of protecting the visitor regardless of the
      cost or inconvenience. Why in the name of all that is right did the prison
      take the doctor into a room without a video camera when they usually have
      them? That is where they, the prison, made their worst mistake as far as I am
      concerned.

      If the sheriff was standing about 15 feet away from the door to begin with,
      how the heck did he happen to see the inmate wondering the hall without
      having seen him exit the room? Sounds like he must have been distracted.

      A doctor, an attorney or an investigator should never be put in a private
      room without a large mirror and staff to pay attention.

      You also stated that the doctor was not given a "body alarm". Did the
      facility have any such device? If so, again they were derelict in their duty to
      protect and to serve.

      A panic button would probably have been useless if the doctor was standing
      and walking away.

      Show me where in any rule book it says that a psychiatrist should know how
      to physically handle a mentally deranged prisoner.

      Although not analogous, all prisons have a duty to ALL visitors. Some
      things are unforeseen. However, this was not one of them.

      Glendale, CA 91207
      818-242-2505

      If you can read this email, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English,
      thank a vet.

      God Bless America and her allies !