Re: [infoguys-list] RE: FCRA & EMPLOEE INVESTIGATIONS

  • Bob Hrodey
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      on 5/2/2005 11:03 AM Consulting Investigation Services said the following:

      > IF the results of your investigation are going to be used, or could be
      > used
      > to effect the pay grade or employment status, including demotions,
      > then you
      > MUST notify them in writing no later than 72 hours from the time you begin
      > your investigation.
      > You don't have to get their permission, but you have to notify them.
      > I've got the rule number and section around here somewhere, I'll try and
      > find it and get it up to you.
      > Brian K. Ingram, Owner

      Not any more. I think Rep Pete Sessions' (R-TX) bill to remedy that
      goofy stuff was passed into law last year was it not?
      They get to hear about it at the hearing and contest it but the notice
      went out the window along with obtaining a release from them on
      workplace investigations. New hires are still subject to the full FCRA
      in that you need a release, they get the results if it results in them
      not being hired, etc.

      --
      Enjoy,

      Bob
      Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
      email: inquiry@... or rth@...
      Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
    • Consulting Investigation Services
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        Here is the law itself from the FTC's web site.
        Read the definitions carefully. Investigative Consumer Report and
        Employment especially.
        Employment is expanded to include promotion, retention etc..

        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2005
          I thought he'd got that bill through the House but I wasn't sure about the
          Senate and if it was signed.
          That's great.
          Brian

          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2005
            Karl,
            It seems that while I had my head up inside computers, the law changed.
            Bob provided the new information.
            I'm sorry I originally sent you erroneous information, it was not
            intentional.
            In any event, now you have the correct answer and that is what is important.
            Take care,
            Brian