psychiatrist murdered at jail

  • Jurydoctor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
      I have this case going to trial on Monday. It is driving me nuts.
      Here are the facts:
      1.Forensic Psychiatrist contracts with the justice system to do competency
      evals (Insanity defense)

      2. Doc Goes into jail and nurse (also a contract nurse, not an employee of
      the correctuons dept)
      tells Doc that this guy is very dangerous, has been having auditory and
      visual hallucinations

      3. Sherriff takes the doc into an interview room that is not equppied with:
      A. a panic button
      B. video cameras (they usually have them in there with sound off for
      competency hearings)
      c. Doc is not given a body alarm
      D. door to room opens inward.

      Make a long story short, Sherriff stands about 15 feet away from door., looks
      up and sees inmate wondering the hall.
      Goes into interview room, finds doc is blue, slumped in front of the door.
      (since door opens inward, if inmate gets between doc and door, no way doc can
      get out).

      Turns out Doc was strangled by inmate

      I am working for the widow.
      my biggest concern is that he's the forensic psychiatrist, he should know how
      to handle a legally insane person.

      We are suing because the dept did not provide a safe work environment for the
      doc to interview the inmate.

      I need an analogy. It is sort of like a security officer that gets mugged,
      because the apt building didn't have video cameras hooked up.. or something.
      KWIM?

      I just can't hit the nail on the head..
      any ideas?
      thanks,
      amy

    • romulusredux
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
        In spite of warning, Doc asked to be alone, failed to establish
        rapport, was leaving room, inmate strangled him from behind, Doc did
        not cry out, no observer would have had time or sufficient warning to
        save him, defense has better jury consultant, you lose.

        Lex

      • Linda Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2005
          This is rediculous. This is the 21st Century. In this modern age of knowledge explosion, any medical personell which work in the criminology field, not only should have medical training, but also security training, and this training should be mandantory.

          Linda