an alternative to PPL

  • athena_s_sword
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2005
      I think I'm pretty qualified to weigh in on the PPL debate. I have
      been sued in three states,
      most recently, my home state of New Mexico for $13.5 million. These
      are SLAPP suits
      (strategic lawsuits against public participation) for posts I made
      about a penny stock
      company on the financial message board Raging Bull. And what things
      could a person
      possibly post that would justify a $13.5 million suit? Well, I
      factually stated that the
      company had associations convicted stock fraud felons. I questioned
      their press releases. I
      won't stray any further off topic to get into the gritty details, but
      you can read about it on
      my blog Http://www.athena-sword.org. I am being defended in these
      multiple lawsuits by
      attorneys paid for by my homeowner's insurance. If you don't have the
      rider on your
      homeowners policy that pays for your defense in legal disputes, I
      absolutely urge you to
      get one today.

      My defense to get the Nevade suit against me dismissed on
      jurisidicational grounds cost
      $38k. The Florida suit for dismissal on jurisdiction has gotten
      complicated and is
      probably up to around $75k by now. The New Mexico attorneys are
      charging $10k a
      MONTH. This rider cost an extra $10 month or so on my policy (I had
      it in place for years).
      Because of my claim, my homeowner's premium will go up $30 a month
      for 2 years. When
      you have such coverage it is insurance company's fiduciary duty to
      provide you with
      representation, and, if there is a dispute about whether or not they
      will cover you (such as
      in the example of the police department), the state insurance board
      can mediate.
      Unfortunately, the insurance does NOT cover a countersuit for
      malicious prosecution that I
      have initiated. And THAT is costing me a bundle, even with
      the attorney doing it on partial contingency. It was difficult to
      even find an attorney to
      take the countersuit because Internet law and the First Amendment is
      such new legal
      territory.

      If you post on message boards, even if you post the truth and your
      opinions, which should
      be protected under the First Amendment, you can be sued. I call it
      Censorship by
      Litigation. I have however, developed some pretty outstanding
      research skills when it
      comes to investigation of public companies and money laundering.

      As far as PPL, when you are talking a percentage of tens of thousands
      of dollars, that
      would mount up pretty fast in suits like mine. You need full
      coverage, 100% of legal fees.
      I will say that my boyfriend, who is a truck driver, has PPL and has
      found it very useful for
      dealing with traffic violations in different states. He's a very
      careful driver, but there are
      speed traps and truly bogus police harrassment of truckers. In the 10
      years he had had
      PPL they have gotten him some kind of deal where he pays bigger
      fines in order to not
      have the citation go on his record. (Only 3 and he loses his CDL).
      Is it worth the monthly
      cost over what he would have had to pay if he'd just saved the
      money? Probably not, but
      it is hard to find attorneys in other states.

      And yes, reading about PPL on different websites, there certainly is
      a lot of controversy
      surrounding it so, IMO, a homeowner's rider (for those who are
      homeowners) is the best
      bet. Because, face it. Where there's smoke (controversy) there's
      usually fire.
    • Vicki Siedow
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2005
        I'll have to check out that homeowner's policy thing. It sounds like it
        would be good to have both that and PPL, as you'd get the consultation,
        phone calls, letters, Wills, traffic & IRS matters, plus the discount
        through PPL (presumably the homeowners policy doesn't cover all that) and
        the homeowners sounds like it would handle most of the rest of the big
        stuff. I agree that the fees do add up when you initiate the suit, but so
        do the discounts. We have people sign up who have a preexisting issue just
        to get the discount. Paying $26 a month to get 25% off on, say, that
        $75,000 cost sure sounds like a good deal. Thanks for the tip!

        Vicki Siedow
        Siedow & Associates Investigations
        & Custom Legal Support Services
        2629 Foothill Blvd. #262
        La Crescenta (Los Angeles area), CA 91214
        818-688-3295 fax
        Siedow@...
        http://Siedow.LawAndOrder.com
        CA Lic. PI #22852