Re: [infoguys-list] Death on the turnpike- goes to trial MOnday

  • oracleintl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2005
      In a message dated 3/22/2005 11:00:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      Jurydoctor@... writes:

      He did not report what he saw until
      the following day. He claims he had difficulty avoiding the bus. He
      independently contacted the trucking company and spoke with their claims
      representatives
      and lawyers several times. His testimony matched the drivers exactly a
      three
      to five second patch of fog at mile marker 187. Very peculiar. National
      weather
      records recorded no fog.

      OPINION # 1: Jurors are not stupid - that dog won't hunt.

      OPINION # 2: As far as the black box, I don't think that anyone will
      believe that they didn't check to see of it contained evidence useful to their
      defense immediately after the crash. The fact that they chose to allow it to
      become lost speaks volumes -- do you know how much voltage is required to keep
      the memory alive? Have you checked to see if the information would actually
      be lost if the battery died - batteries are commonly disconnected at accident
      scenes so it is hard to imagine that these recorders are not set up to burn
      and reburn information rather than store it in memory. Flight recorders are
      set up that way.

      It's a bit too late now, but I'd have had EVERYONE who was in any way
      associated with the defense investigation identified and deposed and I'd require
      that each of them identify everyone else they knew of who was involved just to
      make sure I got them all - I'd ask all of them if they knew or had reason to
      believe that the black box had been checked and I'd ask them all how the box
      would be checked if it was checked and by whom - I'd talk to those people as
      well. Chances are that someone wouldn't be willing to perjur themselves over
      this.

      OPINION # 3: As for that fog, have you checked with the FAA? If there was
      any significant fog, there should have been a NOTAM - Notice to Airmen. Keep
      in mind that fog occurs supernaturally only in Stephen King novels -- find
      out what the temperature and dew point were and you may find that fog wasn't
      even possible.

      OPINION # 4: With regard to speed calculations, I would be very interested
      to know how EXACTLY they can differentiate between a 90 v 50 mph impact and a
      70 v 30 mph impact when there were no skid marks. I can see how they can
      estimate the impact speed as being the 40 mph differential, but I do not
      believe that it is possible to determine the individual speeds with pinpoint
      accuracy. I suspect that their expert's conclusion as to the bus speed is based
      upon a calculation using the truck driver's version of his speed.

      It plays to me as a truck driver grasping at make believe straws.

      What's his driving record like? Has he ever sued/been sued before for
      anything? Is there any evidence that he ever lied or fabricated evidence in any
      prior proceeding?

      The bottom line is, there is no legit justification or excuse for this
      accident. I think they have deliberately perjured themselves, subborned perjury,
      and concealed evidence in an effort to defend the indefensible and save the
      trucking company money.

      Just my .02, but I trust that you will be sending $20 to the Schiff Liver
      Foundation.

      Bill E. Branscum, Investigator
      Oracle International
      _www.OracleInternational.com_ (http://www.OracleInternational.com)