Question about non profit

  • mycongocoons
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2005
      HI, first my name is because I raise maine coon cats :) It is not a
      slur against anyone.

      Now for my question. Can a non profit organizations board of
      directors make decisions that the paying membership is not privy to?

      Also would it be wise or unwise for a non profit group to own a photo
      club on yahoo. If someone posted a seedy photo or something of that
      nature can the organization be held liable and responsible. Would it
      be better for the photo group to be owned not by the organization but
      by an individual instead?

      Thank you so much for any response.
      You guys are great when I have a legal type question

      Mitzi
    • karousel
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2005
        What state are you in?

        NYS has laws pertaining to not-for-profit corporations. I presume all other
        states do as well.

        Those laws can be found on the Internet.

        wjf

      • oracleintl@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 26, 2005
          Coon cats are a recognized breed - as you well know. You can raise coon
          cats and be niggardly as far as that goes -- none of that has any connection to
          ethinicty ot racial slurs. Sadly, many people are too stupid to acknowledge
          their own ignorance.

          Your first question is difficult - the answer is yes and no (sort of). The
          way you worded it makes me wonder if you intended it to be a test question.

          A non-profit organization must have a board of directors or trustees - no
          less than five members on the board and they must be publicly identified in
          sofar as the cases I have been aware of. It does NOT have to have 501(c)(3)
          status with the IRS and it can engage in any otherwise lawful activity - it
          CANNOT solicit tax free donations without 501(c)(3) status.

          There is no stock and there are no owners so I am not sure what you mean by
          members.

          The board of directors can do pretty much anything they want so long as it
          is legal and consistent with the corporate charter. They do not need the
          approval of the contributors.

          Your next question is virtually impossible to answer.

          ANY organization that would allow anyone to post pictures without some sort
          of oversight is too stoopid to contemplate in my view.

          Bill E. Branscum, Investigator
          Oracle International
          _www.OracleInternational.com_ (http://www.OracleInternational.com)
          PO Box 10728
          Naples, FL 34101
          (239) 304-1639
          (239) 304-1640 Fax
          Illegitimi non carborundum

          In a message dated 2/26/2005 2:28:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          monstercats@... writes:

          HI, first my name is because I raise maine coon cats :) It is not a
          slur against anyone.

          Now for my question. Can a non profit organizations board of
          directors make decisions that the paying membership is not privy to?

          Also would it be wise or unwise for a non profit group to own a photo
          club on yahoo. If someone posted a seedy photo or something of that
          nature can the organization be held liable and responsible. Would it
          be better for the photo group to be owned not by the organization but
          by an individual instead?

          Thank you so much for any response.
          You guys are great when I have a legal type question

          Mitzi

        • Vicki Siedow
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 27, 2005
            Mitzi and all, these questions are complex and require a real attorney who
            specializes (in this case) in corporate law, in your state. Do not act on
            the usually well meaning and often misguided advice of list members,
            friends, cousins in law school, or brain surgeons. If you don't want to pay
            a few hundred dollars per hour to get a correct answer, one that won't cost
            you way more later, then pay the $17-$26 a month to get all you legal
            questions answered by a REAL attorney. Any advice you get here is not to be
            depended upon, so why waste our time and bandwidth? As an investigator I
            get people every day asking me for free legal advice. I tell them that if
            their question isn't worth $17 to them, it's sure not worth my time to give
            them even my uninformed opinion.

            Need economical legal help?
            http://AreYouProtectedYet.com

            Vicki Siedow
            Siedow & Associates Investigations
            & Custom Legal Support Services
            2629 Foothill Blvd. #262
            La Crescenta (Los Angeles area), CA 91214
            818-688-3295 fax
            Siedow@...
            http://Siedow.LawAndOrder.com
            CA Lic. PI #22852