[infoguys-list] Re: Re:Colorado "Rapps"

  • PIDBLG@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 1999
      >>>Dear Mr. Garrett

      Could you please let me know what the Rapps case is about to the best of
      your knowledge and keep us on the infoguyslist advised of what is
      happening in that case. Thank you. >>>>

      The "RAPPS," James and Regana respectively, were a couple operating an
      Information Broker service called TOUCHTONE Inc. in Colorado. They provided
      database services to many "clients" whether PI, Journalist, or anyone if the
      money was right.

      Approximately 3 months ago, the Associated Press reported they had been
      indicted by the grand jury in Golden, CO. They were arrested and charged
      with multiple counts of racketeering and face up to 24 years in prison as
      well as a 1 million dollar fine if convicted, according to the article. Their
      arrest stemmed from illegally obtaining confidential information on the
      "JonBenet Ramsey" murder case as well as the "Columbine Shooting" and trying
      to sell this information to the tabloids and other news organizations.

      Also, the DA's office obtained their "client" list which numbered some 1200
      people and/or companies. According to the DA, "If they knew how they
      [RAPP'S] obtained their information, they [client's on list] may have broken
      the law."

      Two (2) lessons I see from this:
      1) KNOW "Who" your Info Broker is and "HOW" they are obtaining their
      information. If it is by illegal or shady means, it will place YOU, the
      Investigator in jeopardy as well as your "CLIENT." If the broker is not
      acquiring their information legally, why should you want to get involved.
      For a few $'s? NOT WORTH IT!!! I'm sure you would rather interview "BUBBA"
      and "LEROY" in jail instead of being their cellmate and conducting an
      interview this way. Point is, the broker should be just as concern about the
      legalities involved as you are.

      2) KNOW THE LAW!!!!!
      On a local, county, state, and federal level. Take the time to research
      these matters and make sure you stay well within the framework as established
      by those entities. Yearly, check with the state legislators and see what new
      laws may have developed and how these effect YOUR PROFESSION. We should be
      interested in any changes in the law (in our respective locals especially)
      because they will have a direct impact on how you obtain information and
      dispense that information. For example, In this time and age, there are all
      TYPES of stalkers. Do you really want to be responsible for someone getting
      hurt, maimed or killed because you gave information to the WRONG person? Do
      you know what the laws are regarding this in your state or city? Do you know
      what YOUR LIABILITY may be if you obtain information from a bad source and
      passed that on to your client?

      I believe in Colorado, there are no licensing requirements so anyone with a
      computer and the right resources could "open shop" and pretend to be an
      investigator. Their conduct as "Investigators" certainly cast a bad light on
      all in the profession who are trying to be PROFESSIONAL and uphold a standard
      of INTEGRITY as we go about assisting those that need our services but doing
      so LEGALLY.

      As is the case in many professions there are "good ones" and "bad ones,"
      however it only takes a few "bad ones" to despoil the image many of us are
      trying to reflect to our customers. Without these customers, how could we
      apply our trade as "PRIVATE" Investigators. Many people already have a
      negative view of what PI's do even saying we will stoop to "anything" to get
      information. While this is not true of many investigators I personally know,
      it is still a "perception" of the public.

      **NOTE**
      We are accustomed to watching others and do so very efficiently but we should
      not forget that "Big Brother" is watching us to make sure we do not "cross
      that line." This is not paranoia, this is reality, this is the business we
      have chosen.
      I apologize if I may have "rambled" in this message, but after all, I think
      we all should stay informed so that way we can inform OUR CLIENTS.

      Enough of my commentary.

      I was just wondering if someone on the list was in Colorado and could give
      an update of the case as it will surely effect any legislation statewide or
      on a Federal level. I saw it happen in California in 1989(?) when the
      actress Rebecca Schafer was killed by a nutcase that obtain her home address
      from a PI in Arizona. As a direct result of that murder, DMV records became
      "unavailable" for anyone unless you had an account with DMV and opened your
      books for unannounced audits by DMV. Shortly after this, Voter Registration
      records became confidential, that is certain information was no longer
      available to the public.

      Thanks for the ear, eyeball, time.

      Greg Garrett
      Garrett & Associates
      Los Angeles, CA.
      Missing Persons
      Insurance Fraud
      Skiptracing
      Service of Process
      Surveillance
      General Services
    • Snaf001@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 1999
        Sounds to me they obtained information other then public record. There has
        to be more there. Racketeering is not selling some dirt to a national rag.
        it has to be deeper then that.
      • PIDBLG@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 1999
          No doubt there may be more than was reported, however the point is they have
          or had represented themselves as "INVESTIGATORS." Herein lies the problem
          for honest people endeavoring to be the best they can be as investigators
          with integrity, discretion, and courage. This is what is needed to stand up
          for what is right and promote LEGAL ways to obtain information while still
          protecting your clients rights as well as your own.
          The way you are perceived as an investigator will determine the type of
          clientele you attract.
        • Snaf001@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 1999
            Point well taken
          • Charlotte
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 1999
              Dear Greg,

              I live in the North County area of San Diego. I'm currently working for
              I.S.C Detective Agency located in San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco and
              other locations throughout the United States. I have been working for them
              now for almost a year. The pay is a hourly rate and it is usually a varied
              working schedule( lean weeks and busy weeks) . I have done surveillance
              domestics) , counter /espionage, records search, process serving, runaways
              e.t.c.

              I was in the military U.S.A.F stationed at Travis A.F.B. 60th
              OMS..1983-1987....as a crew chief for the C-5a galaxy. I worked at Rohr
              Aircraft as a technician, Apria Health Care( prev. Homedco) for many years
              I attended LSU in Baton Rouge, La ...majored in sociology and phsycology.
              I am currently working for the IHSS as a provider for disabled patients
              part/time. I have absolutely no pressures ( financially speaking) and I
              already live with my fiancee who has considerable experience in the
              marketing field. I truly enjoy this field and would like someone to either
              join me as as a partner or as a qualified licensee and manager to oversee
              operations( of course with a agreeable contract setup). I have been working
              under someones License ( I do not have a license) and I am in need of
              someone who would like to join me for this adventure( hopefully prosperous)
              of PI work. I did a home study course
              with US. Academy Of Private Investigation thru John Dresdan.

              I attend ( when I can) the SDCIA association in San Diego and do get a lot
              of
              helpful tips with this business. If you require any further references I
              would be more than happy to furnish those to you upon your request. My
              phone number (760) 518-6221. I hope that I have enlightened you a little of
              myself . If you are intersted I would like to know a little bit about
              yourself???
              Are you licensed???

              Sincerely,

              Perry DiCarlo