re: [infoguys-list] Zone Alarm Hole

  • Brian Taylor
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2004
      As an info security professional, I wish to comment that the fact that this hole exists ONLY when Zone Alarm is on a machine acting as a server (hence, listening on port 25) is not inconsequential and severely limits the gravity of this so-called "gaping hole". If you're using Zone Alarm to protect an email server, you're violating the recommendations of the company in the first place. Zone Alarm is not a server firewall, never was, and is not recommended as such by the company.

      There's just a touch of "The Sky Is Falling!" about this, and a certain amount of drummed-up hysteria. Please remember, people, there are all kinds of "agendas" out there, including commercial rivalry.

      Brian Taylor

    • RSS Investigations
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 23, 2004
        You're absolutely right Brian, thanks for dousing the flames here.

        Still, I worked in the IT business for many years, and in my opinion there is no substitute for a good hardware firewall. Software firewalls are by their nature more sucseptible to breeches.

        I happen to use a Linksys Firewall/Router in my office. There are other brands, of course.

        Tony Welle
        Rss Investigations

        Brian Taylor <betaylor@...> wrote:
        As an info security professional, I wish to comment that the fact that this hole exists ONLY when Zone Alarm is on a machine acting as a server (hence, listening on port 25) is not inconsequential and severely limits the gravity of this so-called "gaping hole". If you're using Zone Alarm to protect an email server, you're violating the recommendations of the company in the first place. Zone Alarm is not a server firewall, never was, and is not recommended as such by the company.

        There's just a touch of "The Sky Is Falling!" about this, and a certain amount of drummed-up hysteria. Please remember, people, there are all kinds of "agendas" out there, including commercial rivalry.

        Brian Taylor

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here