Internet Fraud Investigator

  • fred harris
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hi everyone

      A message was posted to this list today, intended to look as though it was sent by me, when in fact, it wasn't. The message made reference to a book I was supposed to be selling.

      As a result, I enlisted the services of an Internet Fraud investigator in Florida, who took little time in determining who the actual sender of the message was, even though this person took elaborate steps to conceal their identity by using an anonymous browsing service called IDZap, and sent the message from a Lycos.uk members site, designed for sending anonymous (or spoofed) messages to any email address, and look as though they were sent from whatever email address they want.

      The Internet investigator explained to me how IDZap works, and how it can easily be defeated to identify the real sender of a message (who incidentally, is a member of this list).

      Rather than post his name on the list, I have now handed the matter over to my attorney to pursue legal action and have notified IDZap and his Internet Service Provider of his activity.

      Thanks

      John, and Jack

      Skiptracers

      Canada

    • pegasus3
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
        Thank you for clearing that up. Especially since there was no signature at
        the bottom of the post which identified your and your location and what you
        do either for fun or a living or both as the case may be.

        In fact what most obvious item was the fact that it say from you at
        xx.xx.xxx. from dns number. I started to respond, unless memory serves me, I
        did respond to see if such an address was real. Obviouly you did get that
        messsage and perhaps that response along with others is what cause you to
        seek assistance and trace back the blackguard who has successfully
        introducted you to a significant number of folks with PI licenses.

        "Semper Occultus"

        Edwin C. Hodges

        Edwin C. Hodges
        Peregrine International
        PMB 150, 1550 Eastchase Pkwy
        Fort Worth, Texas 76120
        Voice: 817-516-0155
        EFax: 775-261-7088 or 360-684-6425
        EMail: Pegasus3@...
        WEB: www.pi-inc.us
        Texas License Number: A11626

        ================================
        DISCLAIMER NOTE: The information in this electonic mail (e-mail) message
        may be confidential. This information may be protected by priviledge, work
        product immunity, or other applicable laws. If you are not the intended
        recipient the retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
        e-mail without permission of the author is strictly prhibited. Since e-mail
        can be altered electronically, the integrity of this communication cannot be
        guaranteed. This message may be opinon of the sender only.

        ===========================
        NOTICE

        This e-mail communications is not intended to be interpreted as legal or
        financial advice. Do not act or rely upon the information in this
        communication without seeking the advice of an attorney or financial
        advisor.

[...]

        e@yahoogroups.com</a><br/>
        To unsubscribe, send a message to <a
        cribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br/>

      • spies_online
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          You should also notify Yahoo of this person's activity, as it is a
          violation of Yahoo's TOS. You might also want to write to the PI
          licensing board in this person's state and inform them of this
          person's criminal activity - it may be enough to get the license
          revoked.

          J., Spies Online Webmaster
          http://www.spiesonline.net
        • brettnbold@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
            jack and john,
            sad that another member from this list feels that they have the right to
            do to another person what was done to you. sadder still that you feel they
            have the right to do it to another while you provide them the cover of anonymity
            in doing so you allow them to go ahead and victimize others. if your not part
            of the solution you are part of the problem! what was the meaning of your
            post? if it was to inform others that you didn't send the posting in question, did
            you need to go into who did? in going into the details of being a victim and
            stating you now who was the victimizers is, yet not naming them you allow the
            reader to wonder if what you state is true. Had you named them there would
            have been no question, other would be empowered with the knowledge of knowing
            what this person is. Instead you allowed others to be victimized and the person
            doing it to hide behind you. "The Internet investigator explained to me how
            IDZap works, and how it can easily be defeated " this is great to read! I take
            it you don't care to share this either..... READING YOUR POST WAS VERY
            INFORMATIVE!

            Brett de'Rothschild
            NUTS2U2 Legal Services
            San Diego, ca 9202