[infoguys-list] Working in Missouri

  • Ron Rugen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2003
      Since Missouri does not license statewide, there is not a
      blanket/uniform answer I can give you. Some local governments (e.g.
      Columbia, Kansas City, St Louis, Joplin, St Joseph, Springfield), of
      which this list is not all inclusive, license and have their own set of
      rules. Thus, you would have to be more specific where you are working.

      I'm in Mid-Missouri (lifelong resident) and am licensed in Columbia, and
      it is the only Mid-Missouri city that licenses as far as I know.
      Jefferson City, for example, does not. Most of the time (this has been
      subject to generic cross-country debate) when I do surveillance, I
      contact the local joint communications and advise them my cell number,
      make/model/license plate of my vehicle, and general area I will be
      sitting to avoid concern. That has served me well. However, there have
      been some smaller communities I have been in where lawyers have
      specifically asked me not to, because "everybody knows everybody". In
      that case, I double check that I take a copy of my retainer contract
      with me when I'm working and the attorney's business card.

      Yes, I did file a d/b/a with the Missouri Secretary of State for $7 on
      my PI biz, as well as get my city license.

      Ron Rugen, LPI - Rugen Team Investigations
      (formerly Heartland Judgment Recovery & Investigations)
      Licensed and Bonded through the city of Columbia, MO
      Rugen@...
      PO Box 176, Columbia, MO 65205 - 573-256-8700 - Fax: 1-877-FaxUsNow
      Featuring: Phone/Pager/Fax CNA's, Criminal/Civil/DMVs
      Nationwide, Employment/Bank Locates. PRICE LIST FAXED BY REQ
      <http://www.yourprivatedetective.com/> UEST -
      www.YourPrivateDetective.com <http://www.yourprivatedetective.com/>

      "Forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the
      meeting." -- Gen. Norman Schwartzkopf

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2003
        To all who responded privately and in the group,

        A large Thanks to everyone that responded. I believe without a doubt
        that your information has set me in the direction that I need to
        travel.

        Thanks again!

        Karl W. Souders
        Souders Investigations