Re: hot air, wind bag or airbag?

  • ray_madison
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2003
      Plaintiff says she was wearing seat belt, defense says she was not, accordi=
      ng to
      police. Plaintiff loses.

      Ray Madison

      --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, Jurydoctor@a... wrote:
      > HI folks,
      > I need to get your opinions on this interesting airbag cases.
      > Plaintiff’s Case:
      > On a Saturday evening, a Female Driver of a 1996 Ford Taurus was on her w=
      ay
      > home from the supermarket. The Driver was wearing her seat belt. Travelin=
      g on
      > State Road 007, the Female Driver entered the entrance ramp of the Turnpi=
      ke. As
      > she traveled in the inside lane of the entrance ramp, the Female Driverâ€=
      ™s
      > vehicle slid on the rain dampened roadway, crossed through the outside la=
      ne, and
      > ultimately collided with the outside concrete barrier. The vehicle impact=
      ed
      > the wall on the right front of the vehicle at a speed of approximately 17=
      miles
      > per hour. As a result of the crash, the driver’s side air bag deployed,=

      > killing the Female Driver. Damage to the vehicle from the crash was minim=
      al.
      > The Female Driver, Sally, was 29 years old at the time of the accident. S=
      he
      > was a single mother and left behind her 3 ½ year old son. Sally was 5'9"=
      and
      > weighed 130 lbs, which is above average in stature. The primary cause of =
      the
      > Female Driver’s death was determined to be a lacerated vena cava (heart=
      ). She
      > also suffered secondary injuries, including fractures to her right and le=
      ft ribs,
      > and significant bruising. It is believed that, if the air bag had not
      > deployed, the Female Driver would still be alive today. Several EMT’s w=
      ho
      responded
      > to the scene of the accident reported that they were surprised that Sally=
      died
      > as a result of the crash, based on the severity of damage to the Taurus. =
      > reconstruction of the crash estimated the Driver’s speed at the time of=
      impact
      > with the wall to be approximately 17 miles per hour, but because it was a=
      t an
      > angle the actual impact speed adjusted for that angle, as is important fo=
      r air
      > bag deployment determinations, was between 7 to 10 miles per hour. Ford M=
      otor
      > Company designed the subject 1996 Ford Taurus to incorporate an air bag t=
      hat,
      > in frontal or angled-frontal crashes, must deploy at speeds of 14 miles p=
      er
      > hour or greater, and must not deploy at speeds of 8 miles per hour or les=
      s. The
      > bag "may" deploy if the accident is between 8 mph and 14 mph. The Plainti=
      ff
      > asserts that the air bag system for the 1996 Ford Taurus was defectively =
      designed
      > because it deployed in a low speed crash (i.e. below 10 mph where the fem=
      ale
      > driver would not have been killed or seriously injured without a bag
      > deployment, and that it was unreasonably dangerous to deploy an air bag w=
      ith such
      risk
      > being possible. The Plaintiff alleges that because a typical consumer wou=
      ld
      > not expect to die as a result of a crash similar to the instant case and =
      because
      > Ford failed to set the deployment threshold at 10 mph or above, the vehic=
      le
      > was defective.
      >

      > Defendant’s Case.
      > One Saturday evening, an unbelted Female Driver of a 1996 Ford Taurus was=
      on
      > her way home from the supermarket. Traveling on State Road 007, with a sp=
      eed
      > limit of 35 mph, under rainy weather conditions and limited visibility, t=
      he
      > Female Driver entered the entrance ramp of the Turnpike at 55 mph. As sh=
      > entered the inside lane of the entrance ramp, the Driver’s vehicle slid=
      on the
      > roadway, began to rotate in a counter clockwise manner, and crossed throu=
      gh the
      > outside lane, and ultimately collided with the outside concrete barrier. =
      At the
> [...]

      me of the
      > impact was high enough to trigger the deployment of the air bag. An
      > aggravating factor to the Driver’s injuries was the fact that Investiga=
      ting officers
      > from the law enforcement agency reported that the Female Driver was not w=
      earing
      > her seat belt at the time of the accident. Sally had a history of violati=
      ng the
      > law by not wearing her seatbelt. If the Driver had been wearing her seat =

      > belt, she would have been in the proper seating position so as to avoid t=
      he
      > resulting injury from a deploying air bag. However, in this case, she cam=
      e to be
      > very close to the driver’s air bag when it deployed, and because she wa=
      > "out-of-position", the force of the air bag had no where to go but into h=
      er chest
      > which was just inches from the steering wheel where the bag was. In addit=
      ion, at
      > the time of the manufacture of the subject vehicle and its air bag system=
      , it
      > was not possible to engineer an air bag system that both met the federal =

      > government standards, and also avoided completely the possibility of life=

      > threatening injuries when the occupant is in very close proximity to a de=
      ploying air
      > bag. In fact, the federal government stated that, "these deaths did not o=
      ccur at
      > random; they typically involved certain common factors. The persons who h=
      ave
      > been killed or seriously injured by an air bag were extremely close to th=
      e air
      > bag at the time of deployment." Sally had to have been extremely close t=
      o the
      > air bag before the crash occurred. If she had followed the car’s visor =

      > warning to stay "as far back as possible from the air bag", this tragedy =
      would not
      > have occurred. Finally, the 1996 Taurus utilized the state of the art
      > technology that was available at the time of its manufacture for its clas=
      s in the
      > United States market. The air bag system in the 1996 Taurus was at the he=
      ad of its
      > class. The severity of this crash is representative of a typical air bag =

      > deployment crash. The air bag system contained in this vehicle was safe, =
      effective
      > in most collisions, and operated as designed and intended. It has saved
      > thousands of lives, and while unbelted occupants who put themselves
      > "out-of-position" may be at risk, the benefits in saved lives is great. F=
      ord was not
      > "negligent" in its design, and the bag was not "unreasonably" dangerous. =

      > Ok, any of you case sleuths want to figure out which side is right?

    • Ted :<)>
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
        Hi Amy,
        I'd first like to say that I'm not an accident re-constructionist, but I have more than a passing knowledge of automotive related issues.
        I think the first thing you need to determine is if the vehicle has ABS (Anti-lock Braking System). Then you need to determine which sensor(s) send the speed signal to the cars computer for the air bag (it might have a seperate air bag computer). Find a GOOD Ford brake technician via referral. I assume a re-constructionist can determine the speed of the vehicle based on skid marks, etc, but the vehicle's computer has no way of knowing how fast the car is going if it's skidding sideways or the brakes are firmly applied. Without ABS it won't have the wheel (speed) sensors to send a signal of wheel speed. Also, without ABS, if the brakes were firmly applied, the speed reading sent to the computer would be 0 mph (or very close to it). In this case the only source for wheel speed would be at the transmission &/or the speedometer head in the dash, in which case both readings would also be 0 mph.
        On the other hand, if the vehicle does have ABS an accurate speed reading IS available to the vehicle's computer up until impact, UNLESS it's skidding sideways.
        Bottom line: If the front tires show FORWARD skid marks up until impact, the speed reading was zero & the bag should not have deployed. The reason I say front tires is because it's a front wheel drive vehicle & that's where the speedometer reading is most likely taken from. Also, the rear tires could show skidding & it could still have ABS (some vehicles only have ABS on the front brakes because the front brakes do 80% to 90% of the stopping.
        Good luck & let us know how it turns out.

        Ted Turney
        tedeb@...
        760-612-9996
        PPS# 1006
        Ramona, CA (San Diego County)
        Fax 760-789-0773

        I need to get your opinions on this interesting airbag cases.
        Plaintiff’s Case:
        On a Saturday evening, a Female Driver of a 1996 Ford Taurus was on her way
        home from the supermarket. The Driver was wearing her seat belt. Traveling on
        State Road 007, the Female Driver entered the entrance ramp of the Turnpike. As
        she traveled in the inside lane of the entrance ramp, the Female Driver’s
[...]
        as a result of the crash, based on the severity of damage to the Taurus. A
[...]

        outside lane, and ultimately collided with the outside concrete barrier. At the
        time of the impact, the subject vehicle was traveling at a speed of 27 mph.
        Evidence markings at the accident scene revealed that the vehicle’s right front
        tire made 3 foot 11 inch scuff marks located along the concrete barrier wall.
        The right front of the vehicle then continued to scrape along the concrete
[...]
        very close to the driver’s air bag when it deployed, and because she was