Fractured Hip Case

  • lawdog798@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2003
      To This Great Collective:
      I have a case wherein my elderly client, had a hip replacement in July 2003.
      After his return home,  he began to suffer chest pains and called the
      paramedics.  According to my client, they carried down the steps on a chair and banged
      his new hip on a metal stair rail.  His heart was okay but he suffered a
      fracture of the greater trochanter requiring a second surgery.  The ER and ortho
      reports say nothing about the paramedic incident as described by the client.
      The first op report, however, refers to the fact that there was a broken drill
      bit during the surgery which had to be excised from the area.  Does anyone
      think it possible that the drill bit could be a contributing factor in the
      break?  I am concerned because another one of my client's med reports stated that he
      has "altered mental status."

      Any thoughts on any of this?

      Thank you!

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Warm regards,

      Lowell Steiger, Attorney at Law
      8383 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 830
      Beverly Hills, California 90211
      (323) 852-1100 (voice)
      (323) 852-1033 (fax)
      www.steigerlaw.com

    • Raymond
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2003
        Lowell

        What I am led to believe with regards to elder people, if they fracture or
        break their hips, they very prone to having a heart attack, bought on by a
        "Fat Embolism" or a blood clot.

        Raymond
        ---

        From the desk of Raymond van Staden

[...]