Service of Process at Prison Units

  • Todd Kurlander
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2003
      I need to know if anyone has had any problems serving papers at a prison unit. I have served several citations at various prison units without any problems until now. I have local warden that will not allow private process servers to serve papers at the prison unit. Only sheriff department personnel. I did not know how to respond, since this has never happened to me before.

      Any suggestions? Please e-mail me privately, unless you think the group might benefit from the answer.

      Thanks,

      Todd Kurlander
      Kurlander Legal Support Services
      kurlander@...
      P.O. Box 5681
      Lubbock, Texas 79408
      www.hotphrase.com/TKURLANDER/index.htm

    • Ron Rugen
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2003
        I'm no lawyer (blah, blah, blah), but if the law allows you to serve
        process, how can he LEGALLY subvert the law.
        I have served process on a prisoner at a county jail. They just bring
        me into a holding area and the prisoner is escorted in, I do my thing,
        and they let me go (thankfully).
        ===================
        Ron Rugen, LPI
        Heartland Judgment Recovery
        & Investigations
        Licensed & Bonded through the City of Columbia, MO
        PO Box 522, Ashland, MO 65010
        Ph: 573.657.1040, Fax: 573.657.1009
        rugen@...
        Investigations - http://YourPrivateDetective.com;
        info@...
        Judgment/Debt Collections: http://GetMyCash.com; info@...
        Specializing in: Surveillance, Judgment Recovery, Process Service, Skip
        Tracing, Witness Interviews, Personal Injury Investigation
        Other Services: Asset Checks, Worker's Comp/Sub Rosa, Background
        Screenings, Research, Collections, Mystery Shopping, Phone/E-Mail
        Traces, and General Investigations
        Member: IAPI • NAIS
        ===================
        Stand-By Team Member of: MissingKIN
        http://MissingKIN.com
        "Dedicated to Finding Missing and Abducted Children"
        ===================
        I am not an attorney. Any comments I make should not be construed as
        legal advice. For such, you should seek advice of a licensed attorney.
        ===================
      • Vicki Siedow
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2003
          This is normal, depending on the facility. Call and ask what procedure they
          follow, and go with it. They will sign the proof, but you can still bill
          your client for delivering it, etc. You might want to check the group
          archived messages, we've discussed this on process-server, and perhaps here
          as well.

          Vicki Siedow
          Siedow & Associates Investigations
          & Custom Attorney Support Services