RE: [infoguys-list] Suicide 101: Lessons Before Dying

  • rbr007
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2003
      It is a combination of denial and plaintiffs attorneys. Parents want to
      deny that any part of the problem was their fault and the plaintiff's
      attorney knows that whomever he sues will cough up some money just to make
      the lawsuit go away.

      As long as insurance companies and corporations keep caving in to the
      pressure and paying on every lawsuit filed, it does not matter what we
      think. It will just keep on happening.

      As badly as I hate to say it, we do a lot of insurance defense work and God
      Bless plaintiff's attorneys. Without them my family would starve. I have
      the feeling I am not isolated on this issue.

      With best regards, I remain...

      Very truly yours,

      Rus B. Robison

      Rus B. Robison and Associates, Inc.
      Private Investigators
      Post Office Box 720560
      Oklahoma City, OK 73172-0560
      (405) 721-2295 Voice

      rbr@...

      Oklahoma's FIRST State Licensed Private Investigation Agency (88PIA-1)

      Serving all of Oklahoma and the Great Southwest since 1972.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2003
        Anyone can sue anyone else over anything. The real question is 'should they
        be able to win'? Courts will look at the nature of the claim and whether it
        has any chance of being proven valid - if not, well, that's why they made
        summary judgments. Including, perhaps, the awarding of attorney's fees. So
        it's a self-policing system, as I feel it should be (for whatever *that* is
        worth!)

        And what about their responsibility to monitor the activities of their
        teen-age son in their home (presuming that the website was accessed via a
        home computer)? Or their responsibility to monitor the son, himself? These
        are questions, only - I understand full well that it is sometimes
        (frequently) impossible to tell that a person, no matter how close the
        relationship, intends to commit suicide. With the exception of serious
        abuse-situations, it is never the survivor's fault or responsibility.

        The obstacle of proof will be high for the parents - there are a myriad ways
        for a distraught teen to commit suicide, none of which required the
        assistance of the website. The fact that he apparently chose a method from
        the website illustrates only that he was intending to kill himself. Had the
        website not been available, who is to say that he would not have walked in
        front of a train?

        > Should parents be allowed to sue because their
        > mentally-unstable teen accessed the site? Aspirin, for example, is
        > readily available at any drugstore? Is it the site's fault? What do
        > you think?

        I think that the wheel will turn the way it will turn, no matter what we
        think.

        Tom Sisk
        E. Thomas Sisk Investigations
        PO Box 9234