Suicide 101: Lessons Before Dying

  • spies_online <spiesonline@spiesonline.ne
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2003
      Everyone:

      There is a site on the Net that gives detailed instructions on how to
      commit suicide, from aspirin to carbon monoxide poisoning. A teen
      accessed the site before killing himself, and now the parents are
      suing the site owner. Should parents be allowed to sue because their
      mentally-unstable teen accessed the site? Aspirin, for example, is
      readily available at any drugstore? Is it the site's fault? What do
      you think?

      Details here:

      http://www.spiesonline.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?
      act=ST&f=10&t=675

      J., Spies Online Webmaster
      http://www.spiesonline.net
    • rbr007
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2003
        It is a combination of denial and plaintiffs attorneys. Parents want to
        deny that any part of the problem was their fault and the plaintiff's
        attorney knows that whomever he sues will cough up some money just to make
        the lawsuit go away.

        As long as insurance companies and corporations keep caving in to the
        pressure and paying on every lawsuit filed, it does not matter what we
        think. It will just keep on happening.

        As badly as I hate to say it, we do a lot of insurance defense work and God
        Bless plaintiff's attorneys. Without them my family would starve. I have
        the feeling I am not isolated on this issue.

        With best regards, I remain...

        Very truly yours,

        Rus B. Robison

        Rus B. Robison and Associates, Inc.
        Private Investigators
        Post Office Box 720560
        Oklahoma City, OK 73172-0560
        (405) 721-2295 Voice

        rbr@...

        Oklahoma's FIRST State Licensed Private Investigation Agency (88PIA-1)

        Serving all of Oklahoma and the Great Southwest since 1972.

        There is a site on the Net that gives detailed instructions on how to
        commit suicide, from aspirin to carbon monoxide poisoning. A teen
        accessed the site before killing himself, and now the parents are
        suing the site owner. Should parents be allowed to sue because their
        mentally-unstable teen accessed the site? Aspirin, for example, is
        readily available at any drugstore? Is it the site's fault? What do
        you think?

        Details here:

        http://www.spiesonline.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?
        act=ST&f=10&t=675

        J., Spies Online Webmaster
        http://www.spiesonline.net

        e@yahoogroups.com</a><br/>
        To unsubscribe, send a message to <a
        cribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br/>

      • tom sisk
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2003
          Anyone can sue anyone else over anything. The real question is 'should they
          be able to win'? Courts will look at the nature of the claim and whether it
          has any chance of being proven valid - if not, well, that's why they made
          summary judgments. Including, perhaps, the awarding of attorney's fees. So
          it's a self-policing system, as I feel it should be (for whatever *that* is
          worth!)

          And what about their responsibility to monitor the activities of their
          teen-age son in their home (presuming that the website was accessed via a
          home computer)? Or their responsibility to monitor the son, himself? These
          are questions, only - I understand full well that it is sometimes
          (frequently) impossible to tell that a person, no matter how close the
          relationship, intends to commit suicide. With the exception of serious
          abuse-situations, it is never the survivor's fault or responsibility.

          The obstacle of proof will be high for the parents - there are a myriad ways
          for a distraught teen to commit suicide, none of which required the
          assistance of the website. The fact that he apparently chose a method from
          the website illustrates only that he was intending to kill himself. Had the
          website not been available, who is to say that he would not have walked in
          front of a train?

          > Should parents be allowed to sue because their
          > mentally-unstable teen accessed the site? Aspirin, for example, is
          > readily available at any drugstore? Is it the site's fault? What do
          > you think?

          I think that the wheel will turn the way it will turn, no matter what we
          think.

          Tom Sisk
          E. Thomas Sisk Investigations
          PO Box 9234