[infoguys-list] Need some info on becoming a PI

  • Chris Tang
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 1999
      Hello everybody,

      My name is Christopher Tang and I am a 21 year old College Student residing
      in the State of New Jersey. I have a strong interest in Investigative work
      and would like to know what it takes to become a Private Investigator and
      what approach may work best for me in my current situation. I've been
      majoring in Psychology @ a local community college for the past 3 years,
      part-time and also have gone full-time several semesters, but due to
      Migraine Headaches have had to reduce my work-load. I hope to graduate in
      May of 2000 if all goes well, but would also like to go to work full-time
      and return to my studies later and was wondering if anyone can tell me what
      areas this work is in gratest demand?? I'm contemplating a move with a
      friend of mine who is going to a Loan Officer for a mortgage company and he
      along with several people have told me that this is the type of work I may
      be very good at, particularly because I have excellent interpersonal,
      analytical, and communication skills as well as very nosey and naturally
      inquisitive.....HAHHAH. I find it a challenge to find things out about
      people. For example, my father is remarried and has two children and just
      out of curiousity I wrote to the recorder in his state to see how much he
      paid for his house and found out how many judgements he had against him. I
      did this mainly because I felt he was lying to my grandmother about how poor
      he was and things, so it was a little interesting what I found. I was
      suprised with the wealth of information that is public knowledge. So, from
      that point on, I have developed a growing interest in this field which is
      why I have joined this group, but haven't had the guts to write anyone for
      information because it seems like people here are colleagues and I didn't
      want to appear as an intruder.

      So, if anyone doesn't mind sending me some information that I may be able to
      use, please do so. I'd appreciate it. My friend and I ara planning to move
      to the Willowgrove PA area in about a year and if all goes well with his new
      job, we'll probably move to San Francisco because his job has other offices
      out there.

      Your assistance will be greatly appreciated!!

      Very truly yours,

      Christopher

    • Laura Wallace
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 1999
        Check out my Web site Chris, I have a course. www.spygal.com

        Chris Tang wrote:

        > Hello everybody,
        >
        > My name is Christopher Tang and I am a 21 year old College Student residing
        > in the State of New Jersey. I have a strong interest in Investigative work
        > and would like to know what it takes to become a Private Investigator and
        > what approach may work best for me in my current situation. I've been
        > majoring in Psychology @ a local community college for the past 3 years,
        > part-time and also have gone full-time several semesters, but due to
        > Migraine Headaches have had to reduce my work-load. I hope to graduate in
        > May of 2000 if all goes well, but would also like to go to work full-time
        > and return to my studies later and was wondering if anyone can tell me what
        > areas this work is in gratest demand?? I'm contemplating a move with a
        > friend of mine who is going to a Loan Officer for a mortgage company and he
        > along with several people have told me that this is the type of work I may
        > be very good at, particularly because I have excellent interpersonal,
        > analytical, and communication skills as well as very nosey and naturally
        > inquisitive.....HAHHAH. I find it a challenge to find things out about
        > people. For example, my father is remarried and has two children and just
        > out of curiousity I wrote to the recorder in his state to see how much he
        > paid for his house and found out how many judgements he had against him. I
        > did this mainly because I felt he was lying to my grandmother about how poor
        > he was and things, so it was a little interesting what I found. I was
        > suprised with the wealth of information that is public knowledge. So, from
        > that point on, I have developed a growing interest in this field which is
        > why I have joined this group, but haven't had the guts to write anyone for
        > information because it seems like people here are colleagues and I didn't
        > want to appear as an intruder.
        >
        > So, if anyone doesn't mind sending me some information that I may be able to
        > use, please do so. I'd appreciate it. My friend and I ara planning to move
        > to the Willowgrove PA area in about a year and if all goes well with his new
        > job, we'll probably move to San Francisco because his job has other offices
        > out there.
        >
        > Your assistance will be greatly appreciated!!
        >
        > Very truly yours,
        >
        > Christopher

        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/630
        >
        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/infoguys-list
      • Chris Tang
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 1999
          Laura,

          Thanks for such a prompt reply. I checked out your website, and now I am
          wondering can the course you are advertising give me the skills necessary to
          land an entry-level position with a PI firm?? In addition, I understand
          that if you're working for a PI, you need to register under their license
          and so I was wondering what the licensing requirements would be or what
          process I would pursue in order to work in conjunction with a PI?

          Please get back to me.

          Thank you so much,

          Christoher Tang

        • Snaf001@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 1999
            Chris it changes state to state. In many places you Psych degree would get
            you hired in an entry level position
          • Laura Wallace
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 1999
              Yes, it would definately make you more marketable. As an Agency Owner, and from
              experience, there are two things we look for in hiring an Investigator.
              1. Do they know what they are doing? And if they want to break into the
              business, how much time is going to waste of mine to train them and work with
              them to get them to even understand ANY part of this business?
              2. How serious are they and how long will they last before they decide this
              isn't for them?
              Most Firms do not have the time to train in a new Investigator and the ones that
              already hold a License can be a threat. In past experience, I have hired full
              fledged Investigators that claim they had experience to only find out after
              hiring them that they didn't know anything worth while and was bad for my
              business. Also, Most Agencies want to train someone their way. But this course
              will give you the basic knowledge and basic training to go anywhere and be
              appealing to any Agency that is looking for a ground level entry possition. I
              only will consider Individuals that have taken my course before I would hire
              them. I do not know what State you live in to give you the requirements. I am
              mostly familiar with Florida Law and a couple of other states. Maybe if you mail
              me back on your state I can find out for you. The Course is good and well worth
              the money spent if you are thinking of starting a career in this field.
              Let me know if I can do anything for you.
              Thank you,
              Laura Wallace

            • CPDAinc@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 1999
                In a message dated 8/5/99 9:11:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wadinv@...
                writes:

                << Yes, it would definitely make you more marketable. As an Agency Owner, and
                from
                experience, there are two things we look for in hiring an Investigator.
                1. Do they know what they are doing? And if they want to break into the
                business, how much time is going to waste of mine to train them and work with
                them to get them to even understand ANY part of this business?
                2. How serious are they and how long will they last before they decide this
                isn't for them?
                Most Firms do not have the time to train in a new Investigator and the ones
                that
                already hold a License can be a threat. In past experience, I have hired full
                fledged Investigators that claim they had experience to only find out after
                hiring them that they didn't know anything worth while and was bad for my
                business. >>

                Good evening everyone. Although I do not e-mail often to the list I would
                like to say, "Well said Laura" to her post. We have seen similar situations
                with our office, Columbia Private Detective Agency, Inc. However in our
                state they had the PI field heavily regulated at one point in the 80's, and
                was later deregulated and hundreds of new Pi's came into the field who had no
                experience or knowledge of the profession.
                Consequently, we inherited tons of cases that were left overs of untrained
                Pi's who did not meet their clients' expectations or needs. South Carolina
                then regulated the field again somewhat in the 90's so that to gain a
                license, you have to be employed already by an agency with proof of
                employment to gain the license which is $300 a year (way too much). So S. L.
                E. D., the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, really makes a bundle of
                money off applications these days. If anyone is interested in South Carolina
                PI requirements please visit our website and read the FAQ section at:

                http://members.aol.com/cpdainc

                John Allen
                Webmaster
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 5, 1999
                  Dear John,
                  Thank you for your Post. I suppose that trying to change some of the old stereo
                  type images of Investigators is difficult. I drafted the manual so that more
                  experienced Investigators will get into this field and give us a better name and a
                  much higher standard of Ethics. When I meet my Clients for the first time, I
                  usually here the same thing........"I am afraid to hire ANOTHER Investigator, I
                  used one before and all they did was take my money, ruin my case, blow my case or
                  burned my case. How do I know you will do a good job and that you have the
                  experience not to mess it up again and make me waste my money?"................By
                  teaching proper techniques, Integrity, Laws and Building better Investigators.
                  Wouldn't you be more prone to hire a "want to be" Detective if he took courses and
                  strived to learn the Investigative Field? If they go through the effort of
                  Training and have some knowledge of the TRUE FIELD, they probably are worth giving
                  a chance to. Everybody out there wants to be a P.I., but usually end up with no
                  experience, knowledge of the field and just want a Pay Check, regardless of how
                  much they ruin your reputation. True?
                  Thanks for your listening.
                  Laura Wallace

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 6, 1999
                    Laura,

                    That sounds great. I completely understand your hesitancy in hiring someone
                    who is in inexperienced or has limited insight about the field. If this
                    course can give me the some marketable skills then I am definitely
                    interested and will contact you in the next month or so to purchace it. At
                    the present time my finances are somewhat limited and cannot spare a 100.00,
                    but have saved your email adderess in my address book so that I can contact
                    you in the future. But, rest assured that this is something that I am
                    interested in pursuing as a career and will be in touch with you.

                    In addition, I am in New Jersey so if you have any informaiton on the
                    requirements or work in New Jersey, please get back to me.

                    Your assistance is appreciated.

                    Very truly yours,

                    Christopher Tang

                  • Laura Wallace
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 6, 1999
                      Sure thing, just let me know when you are ready.
                      Laura Wallace