Re: [infoguys-list] I have a question?

  • Dennis R. Drake, CLU, ChFC
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2002
      Christy, It varies from state to state, here in Indiana, you go to the
      internet, we go to Access.Ind.com and go from there. Try going in to you
      state officeals page, than there you will find the info on state requlations
      about license etc.

      In this state, the "bail bond recovery license" is a separate license. You
      must register with each county
      sherrif, for bail bonds and also for "recovery agent".

      In our state, for a PI license, or a Security Agency License (includes body
      guards), the state here has stiff requirements:
      Indiana
      Here they are: 1. 2 yrs of law enforcement experience, or graduate (bs ) in
      Criminal Justice degree, and,
      2. submit you application along with paid for police
      background checks, local and state units.
      3. Submit license fee of $300 to the state,
      4. submit proof of Liability Insurance for $100,000, a paid receipt for one
      year, (costs about $800 to 1,000 here) in liue of insurance, submit a
      $20,000 surety bond. cost of that is about $500, but I would prefer the
      insurance concept!

      Kentucky - no license required, suggests though you register with the county
      sherrif.

      On the bail bond deal, find a good bond agency, contact with them on
      assisting you in going thru the materials and getting licensed in return for
      a contracted period of time, usually a couple years.

      In this state, most PI 's are former policeman or women, or military , or
      CIA people, as they breeze thru the requirements. Also the right to carry a
      firearm is a completely separate issue, you apply for the unlimited license,
      you must apply and just wait. While a gun licensed PI can carry concealed,
      still PI is exempted from being in most county or state owned building, or
      within 1000 ft of a school Here we have a board at the Professional
      Licensing Agency, made up of licensed pi's , They review all the papers and
      can ask for add'l
      info, in needed, issue or decline the application. The
      applicant must have a known clean record.

      Also, here while not requred, I am submitting my apps shorts, but I always
      enclose 2 letters of recommendation, I have 3 letters from Insurance Co
      Claims Management, attesting to fact I have much expeirence in claims
      investigation work. 4 yrs of claims
      investigation work, eliminates the need for the 4 yr degree in CJ. Also, I
      happen to have, a BS in Risk Management & Criminal Justice Administration.

      I am sending in my application in just a couple of months. Or I may just
      take it up there and hand carry it all in there. I would suggest a
      recommendation letter from your state's attorney vouching for your intigrity
      and background also and possibly any other state license s you may have. I
      am relying on my 35 yrs in insurance work to help count some towards my
      license in getting it.

      Please keep me informed on how it works out in your state, ok. my address
      here is : dendrake @...

      Good Luck, Dennis Drake
      em: dendrake@...

      Dennis R. Drake, CLU, ChFC
      Dennis R. Drake Insurance Agency, Inc.
      Tell City, IND, 47586
      Thank you, Dennis
      dendrake@...

      This message contains confidential information, and is intended for the
      above addressed reciprient (s) only. If you are not the intended recipient
      you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing , possessing or
      taking any action
      in reliance to the contents of this information is striclty prohibated. E
      Mail transmission cannot be guarannteed to be secure or error free as
      informations could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
      or incomplete, or contain
      viruses. The sender therefor does not accept liability for any errors or
      omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of this
      e-mail transmissiontranmission.