Re: [infoguys-list] I have a question?

  • Michael Scheiman
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
      I am also in the process of studying to be a PI. If the new law is that you have to be a PI to do bail recovery that's fine. A skip trace doesn't necc. involve money, could just involve a person who doesn't want to be found, which you are allowed to do. But you do need a PI license to recover money in Ohio. Check your local laws about PI Licenses...usually two or three years under someone else's license.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
        Hey thanks, I got alot of info in your email. Where are you getting your training and education for PI? I am thinking about the American Private Invest. School it's a coorespondence shcool. I just went around town and it looks like it might be harder than I thouhgt to get into the field, but not impossible. I am a persistant person anyways lol. So skip tracing is differant, do you know if you have to be licenced? Sorry, I am trying to learn as much as I can, our library, surprising, didn't have much info on anythink except police or law marshall.
        Thanks alot for your time and info, I truly mean that. God bless and have a great day.
        Michael Scheiman wrote:I am also in the process of studying to be a PI. If the new law is that you have to be a PI to do bail recovery that's fine. A skip trace doesn't necc. involve money, could just involve a person who doesn't want to be found, which you are allowed to do. But you do need a PI license to recover money in Ohio. Check your local laws about PI Licenses...usually two or three years under someone else's license.
        Hi my name is Christy and I'm a newbie. I would like to know if there
        is a differance between a skip tracer and a bail recovery? In my
        state, Ohio, the new bail recovery law is you have to be a PI, or a
        cop or a bail agent. I'm thinking about getting into process recovery
        and then into PI. Any advice or do's and don'ts?
        Thank you and God bless

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Dennis R. Drake, CLU, ChFC
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2002
          Christy, It varies from state to state, here in Indiana, you go to the
          internet, we go to Access.Ind.com and go from there. Try going in to you
          state officeals page, than there you will find the info on state requlations
          about license etc.

          In this state, the "bail bond recovery license" is a separate license. You
          must register with each county
          sherrif, for bail bonds and also for "recovery agent".

          In our state, for a PI license, or a Security Agency License (includes body
          guards), the state here has stiff requirements:
          Indiana
          Here they are: 1. 2 yrs of law enforcement experience, or graduate (bs ) in
          Criminal Justice degree, and,
          2. submit you application along with paid for police
          background checks, local and state units.
          3. Submit license fee of $300 to the state,
          4. submit proof of Liability Insurance for $100,000, a paid receipt for one
          year, (costs about $800 to 1,000 here) in liue of insurance, submit a
          $20,000 surety bond. cost of that is about $500, but I would prefer the
          insurance concept!

          Kentucky - no license required, suggests though you register with the county
          sherrif.

          On the bail bond deal, find a good bond agency, contact with them on
          assisting you in going thru the materials and getting licensed in return for
          a contracted period of time, usually a couple years.

          In this state, most PI 's are former policeman or women, or military , or
          CIA people, as they breeze thru the requirements. Also the right to carry a
          firearm is a completely separate issue, you apply for the unlimited license,
          you must apply and just wait. While a gun licensed PI can carry concealed,
          still PI is exempted from being in most county or state owned building, or
          within 1000 ft of a school Here we have a board at the Professional
          Licensing Agency, made up of licensed pi's , They review all the papers and
          can ask for add'l
          info, in needed, issue or decline the application. The
          applicant must have a known clean record.

          Also, here while not requred, I am submitting my apps shorts, but I always
          enclose 2 letters of recommendation, I have 3 letters from Insurance Co
          Claims Management, attesting to fact I have much expeirence in claims
          investigation work. 4 yrs of claims
          investigation work, eliminates the need for the 4 yr degree in CJ. Also, I
          happen to have, a BS in Risk Management & Criminal Justice Administration.

          I am sending in my application in just a couple of months. Or I may just
          take it up there and hand carry it all in there. I would suggest a
          recommendation letter from your state's attorney vouching for your intigrity
          and background also and possibly any other state license s you may have. I
          am relying on my 35 yrs in insurance work to help count some towards my
          license in getting it.

          Please keep me informed on how it works out in your state, ok. my address
          here is : dendrake @...

          Good Luck, Dennis Drake
          em: dendrake@...

          Dennis R. Drake, CLU, ChFC
          Dennis R. Drake Insurance Agency, Inc.
          Tell City, IND, 47586
          Thank you, Dennis
          dendrake@...

          This message contains confidential information, and is intended for the
          above addressed reciprient (s) only. If you are not the intended recipient
          you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing , possessing or
          taking any action
          in reliance to the contents of this information is striclty prohibated. E
          Mail transmission cannot be guarannteed to be secure or error free as
          informations could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
          or incomplete, or contain
          viruses. The sender therefor does not accept liability for any errors or
          omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of this
          e-mail transmissiontranmission.

          e@yahoogroups.com</a><br/>
          cribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br/>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/