Re: [infoguys-list] Re: foster care crisis in Fla- What is the solution??

  • andy stella
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15, 2002
      Daily unannounced random visits, this is possible, even if it is only one hour at a time. It does work.
      andy stella <astella431@...> wrote:
      The solution is to re-establish the SPCC (society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children)here in Florida, and get rid of all those so called case workers with the BS degrees, and besides most of the employees of the child care facilities are state or county employes, and they are just there for a paycheck.
      When I was in New York and a Detective Sgt with the SPCC there, we NEVER had any problems like they have here, but the only problem here as to re-establishing the SPCC is that Florida requires a BS degree, and not a volunteer status, but the volunteer status in New York consisted of lawyers, doctors, law enforcement personnel, and all types of professional people, of all these professonal people there was always someone who had the resourses available to handle any type of situation involving children.
      Lets get rid of all these so called nobodies and re-establist the SPCC. NOW
      lne221@... wrote: This is seen often where the children are placed in foster care and the
      foster care is worse than the home situation. Hopefully, the CW or the law
      guardian investigator keeps track of these kids. But sometimes it is hard
      when you have 18 cases for one week to find each and every child. Most of the
      time it is not even 18 children in 18 cases. You can have 40 children
      involved in 18 cases.
      Child Protective Services needs to check out their foster homes more befor
      placing children there. This is a hard job to do but I understand the
      caseload. Our CW (caseworkers) see their children once a month. I as a law
      guardian investigator see the children every time they are placed somewhere.
      I make sure that they are in a safe situtation. But how can one be sure with
      only an hour visit. You know that you really do not know someone unless you
      live with them.
      So, I want to know the solution?

      Elena McAllister, RN, BA
      Law Guardian Investigator
      25 Green Acre Way
      Glassboro, NJ 08028
      856-863-8421
      LNE221@...

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor Click here to find your contact lenses!

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 15, 2002
        Most of my visits are random unannounced visits but it is still only one hour
        and most of the time it is hard to determine if anything is going on because
        of the fronts that are put up while I am there.
        I am a state worker and I work long hours that I do not get paid for. More
        than 60 hours per week at times. I wonder how many non-civil service people
        will do that. I am not in Florida and do not know what they do.
        Please do not generalize or say that they do not care. The caseloads are
        overwhelming. I need my own investigator and secretary at times.
        Thanks,

        Elena McAllister, RN, BA
        Law Guardian Investigator
        25 Green Acre Way