I hope this helps.
From the TN state Dept. of Commerce web site
In order to hold a valid Tennessee Private
Investigator License the applicant/licensee must be
affiliated with a licensed Tennessee Private
An applicant must:
* Be at least 21 years of age
* Be a citizen of the United States or a resident
* Not have been declared by any court of competent
jurisdiction incompetent by reason of mental defect or
* unless subsequently declared competent by a court of
* Affiliated with a licensed Tennessee PI company or
license own company
* Not suffer from habitual drunkenness or narcotics
addiction or dependence
* Be of good moral character
* Meet examination and continuing education
requirements (see Policy 13 below)
* Applicant must submit fingerprint cards for
processing by TBI and FBI for criminal history check.
POLICY #13 - APPLICANT EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS
1. Grandfathered licensees will not be required to
take the private investigation company examination,
provided their license has remained current
immediately prior to a company application being made.
Any grandfathered licensee, who has never taken the
company examination and who desires to start a private
investigation company independent of that under which
he was grandfathered, must take and pass the company
examination before a license for the new company will
2. Any applicant who has previously successfully
completed the private investigator or private
investigation company examination, whose license has
expired and who submits reapplication for licensing
within two (2) years of the expiration date of the
license, will not be required to retake the
3. Any applicant for a private investigator or private
investigation company license, who previously held a
license(s), has allowed their license(s) to expire and
has never taken the examination(s), will be required
to successfully complete the pertinent examination(s).
4. Any new qualifying agent for an existing
investigation company must successfully complete the
private investigation company examination within
thirty (30) days of the effective date of the
replacement of the qualifying agent of record, unless
the new qualifying agent has previously successfully
completed the examination.
--- Tamara Marlar <skylie74@...
> How do I become licensed in the state of Tennessee?
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup