Re: [process-server] Gated Communities

  • David Kopel
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2001
      Richard:

      In reference to gated communities, locked fences, gates and no trespassing
      signs, even entering someone's home (being invited in), can easily lead to a
      law suit !

      We handle over 3,000 summons a month and manage 62+ process servers, so I
      can easily tell you, I've seen it all and experienced it all over the past
      15 years........

      In my expert opinion, the best resource is to force your client for an
      hourly rate to stakeout the residence and/or "build evidence for evasion",
      but obtaining authorization from your client to perform: A postal search and
      M.V.A. search to prove that the defendant still resides at the address.
      With Maryland LAW you can then file alternate service for posting under
      District Court level 3-121(c) or Circuit Court level 2-121(c).

      Additionally, you can still make physical attempts and even phone calls to
      the residence to try and flush out the defendant. Overall, process servers
      in Maryland have no license, no authority to gain access onto properties
      even if you show a valid summons to the respective parties (ie. security
      guards, rental office managers, etc.)

      I hope this helps.

      David Kopel, President 410-823-4444 ext 118
      www.LEGALPAPERS.net & david@...

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2001
        I may be a novice, but why do you have to serve them IN a gated community? Chances are, they will have to come out sometime. Takes a little more legwork, but as soon as they hit the street, you have them, dead to rights!
        David R. Darrow
        344 South Ave.,#1
        Grand Junction, CO 81501

      • sisfe@vzinet.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2001
          I agree with you David, I like the streets, in public...at their work...I sat on the same pew with a guy at a Saturday evening Mass once and then got to know him mobetta as we left ...going to the parking lot !

          But, I've never had a problem getting in and out of gated communities and really never cared...because you just about have to be caught by an officer of the law standing on someone's property here in this state, before some prosecutor will take the case.

          What you write about though, is why about 5 times a year, about a half dozen, different REAL LAWYERS, all sole practicioners, who do not worry about the bottom line when aggressively representing their clients, pay me my hourly rate to serve a paper for them. They pay the invoice when I drop by and present it to them. The most its ever cost anyone was about 600 bucks.....

          They just feel that they just cannot depend on the "shoebox guys" on the really "cereal deals" (that's advanced stages of serious) to get the job done. Know what they do? They either charge their client's for it, get it back from settlement monies, or PAY it out of their pockets, because they want it done, period. And, they want to know someone is "working on doing it"...not working on anything else, but accomplishing service.

          When one of my oldest ex-pardners in law enforcement, found out one time about 15 years ago, during idle chat, that I was getting 45 bucks an hour to serve papers on cases, instead of the usual "per paper fee, all of the "Process Servers were getting.....he was ASStounded, really po'd to say the least. I don't even know if he holds or has ever held a PI License, I never cared. I did know he shuffled papers after he left the PD...then opened an office across from the County Court House and worked for just about every lawyer in town. He started the "Process Server's Association" in the area where I worked. He stopped me on the street one day..took me into his office...poured me up a cup of coffee, invited me to join, I never did. As a group, they were subsequently, able to lobby all the Judges and some lawyers into recognizing them, even managed to become officially recognized by the "REGULATORS" in the State Capital...began teaching Continuining Education for Process Servers....it became required, all kinds of stuff....like association dues...BBQs, hell you name it !

          But, about 6 times a year, I still have one or more of these lawyers, call me up and says...."You gotta help me on this one, I need some PI work done. Will you serve this paper for me?" I go by his office ....he lays out the case he's working....and sometimes they will even get a Court Order....WITH MY NAME ON IT..... They usually tell me, "If you see you are gonna go over 10 hours.....call me and let's talk about it, ok?" I say, "Sure."......but, I've only done 10.5 hours one time....and that was back in 1992. I've probably done 15 papers for that same lawyer since then. The ingenuity utilized on the 10.5 hour deal made him thousands....and his client kept him as her personal Attorney....even after she moved from Texas to Seattle. He ended up pairing up with another lawyer in Washington State.....just to be able to represent this woman in her legal matters.

          NO, I don't go west of the "crack".....I've driven up the road from the South to the North...along the Snake River...and adjacent to the Cascades.....seen it, nothing more beautiful...and I hope it stays there a long time. I like it here, when someone reports sleet in West Texas....they begin closing businesses and sending folks home early here in the DFW/Metroplex....and its flat....ain't no rocks gonna fall on me and I yes, I charge a lot more money to go to the Federal Building, too ! Got it?

          joMax/mf
          sisfe@...
          MEF/mf

          > I know this has been discussed in this group before. I have just read the
          > entire law on Maryland Service of Process. I also know that serving in a
          > gated community is discussed somewhere, but where I do not know. Is there
          > anyone out there that can help me and show me in print where this is
          > discussed. To my knowledge, a Private Process Server CANNOT be kept out of
          > guarded community by a guard. Thanks for any help someone can give me.
          >
          > RICHARD S. BART
          > 3321 CLARKS LANE # B
          > BALTIMORE MARYLAND 21215
          > 410-764-3698 OFFICE
          > UARESRVD@...
          > GOD BLESS AMERICA

          > CHECK OUT THE PROCESS SERVER'S RESOURCE CENTER
          > http://www.pimall.com/nais/processr.html
          >
          > PROCESS SERVER'S BOOK OF THE MONTH:
          > PROCESS SERVER'S HANDBOOK AND LEGAL DIRECTORY
          > REVIEW AT:
          > http://www.pimall.com/nais/bkp.process.html
          >
          > OTHER BOOKS, MANUALS AND TRAINING AIDS OF SERVICE
          > OF PROCESS:
          > http://www.pimall.com/nais/bkp.process.html

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • jph3190@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2001
            If the Guard at the gate denies me entry, I ask the Guard to call the subject
            and request entry. When I have done this twice, it helps in showing denial of
            service. I have had to use this many times.

            John P. Hilderbrand, Sr.
            Potomac Private Investigations
            North Bethesda, MD 20852
            301-231-9612 Voice & Fax